Print Thread
#817 10/12/02 06:56 AM
J
Jon Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
It will be nice if the Mirc have password lock funtion, for the Remote, Alises, Popups, Users, Variables
Only the editer can see and edit with the password
another can use but can not read and edit, unless they know the password

Last edited by Jon; 10/12/02 06:56 AM.
#818 10/12/02 07:48 PM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
You can always edit the files via notepad or any plain text editor. Scripts were never made to be unviewable... it brings up security issues.

#819 11/12/02 03:45 AM
S
Babel fish
Babel fish
S
a function to encode scriptfiles would be cool, then on a way that they cant be read in notepad(youl see just a buch of useless letters) but can load into mIRC, but cant see them in the remotes editor, that would be nice agains script ripping

#820 11/12/02 06:41 AM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
I don't know.

Personally, I feel that scripts adhere to the open source principle. wink

If you don't want anybody else to see your script, then don't give it out to strangers. Keep it to yourself and only allow people whom you trust to use them.

Additionally, I can see a lot of people taking advantage of this feature by adding trojans/backdoors and the like. You wouldn't even be able to screen the scripts for security anymore.

All in all, any such feature would seem to bring a lot more harm than good.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
#821 11/12/02 01:48 PM
A
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
A
Actually open source makes mirc more fun. It makes scripters try to figure out how to protect their remotes. Maybe you can figure out how to make a 'ripguard'. I've tried once. Viewable at http://www.geocities.com/keyreck/program/setup.zip. Try to protect your remote.. there are lots of ways to protect it... mine one is one of them... smirk

#822 11/12/02 02:03 PM
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Personally I'd rather have every script i'll ever write ripped then being unable to see excactly what i'm loading.

It's also very common for newbies to learn scripting by examining other people's code. I did it this smile, and i know tons of other people that did it. Hiding the source of mIRCscripts would be a major setback for them.

Besides, what's the big deal of getting ripped? If you find out about it, you can usually quite easily prove that it happened (mircscripts.org's archive for instance), and it's not like it hurts or anything, it's just annoying.

you guys are so not L334
#823 11/12/02 04:19 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
So you like open source because it means you have a reason to try and remove all traces of open source?

Quote:
Try to protect your remote.. there are lots of ways to protect it

- True, assuming you don't make the distinction between something that actually works and something that doesn't. If you do then I'm afraid you'll find there's no viable way to do it.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#824 11/12/02 04:54 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
It's not even so much annoying as flattering. It means they respected your code enough to claim it as their own (even if they haven't got a flying clue how you did what you did). After you've looked over enough code yourself, you'll find that it's MUCH easier to write just what you need or want rather than trying to rip someone else's stuff and fit their ideas into yours, or else you'll have to actually buckle down and figure out how they did it in order to modify it successfully without breaking everything.

If "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," then ripping my code must mean, in the words of Sally Field, "You love me! You really love me!"

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
#825 11/12/02 09:24 PM
S
SyN Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Agreed I used to be on the closed source side of the fence when I started scripting. now I just don't care. I don't really feel it's a good idea based on the virii exploit backdoor issue that already plagues n00bs.

It's only called insanity if you're poor.
I stay alive to spite those that wish me dead.
#826 19/12/02 05:05 AM
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
If you rip my code and put it in your script and redistribute it and claim it's yours, your an ass hole... but I don't care!

If you rip my code and put it in your script and redistribute it with a note of where it's form, than I am more than happy your did, it prooves I did something nice than other can find a use in. This idea is called GPL: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Link Copied to Clipboard