M
medowl Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
maybe its just me ... but i rather see the /server command
open a new server window without any extra commands
and instead add a command when you indeed wanna disconnect from the current server and connect to a new
one in the same window...

this one liner alias does exactly that :
turns it just the other way around .... "/server [ip]" opens a new server window, and "/server-m [ip]" connects to a new server in the same server window
Code:
server /server $iif($1 == -m,$2- ,-m $1-)

next more complicated alias
makes "/server [ip]" only use a new window when theres no connected server already, prolly not needed by many ppl as most have auto connect on start somehow...
Code:
server /server $iif($server == $null,$1-,$iif($1 == -m,$2-,-m $1-))

(tho this permits the '-m' switch to be used like normal when not connected to any server... just quick code...)

i rather see it implemented in standart mirc this way, makes more sense IMO, i dont use many server at the same time , mostly only one... but sometimes i need to connect to another one and forget the "-m" option ... and KABAM ... my connection to my normal server is dropped.....

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I think this is definitely something which you will have to make do for with scripting. The -m switch means, I assume, 'multi' or 'multiple'. It was first introduced in...*thinks* 6.0 I think to introduce multiple server connection capabilities - to change it around now would cause a lot of confusion.

Personally, I like it the way it is. If it were changed I'd keep getting it mixed up, especially at first, and that would cause great inconvenience.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
W
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
W
Perhaps have it as an option like:
[ ] /server automatically opens new window

Then you check it to your choice

But I find it highly doubtful that it will be altered to be a fixed setting, because there are many scripts that make use of the /server -m function, and it would render them useless without being updated.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
In addition to what's already been said, I would like to also mention that many scripts (and people) use /server (by itself) to reconnect to the current server using the exact parameters used (without having to look them up again). This is handy, for instance, when helping someone get their /identd to work correctly (assuming there aren't other issues, such as firewalls, etc)...

//identd on NewIdent | server

Personally, I use /server by itself regularly to maintain my scid numbers for my first 3 server connections because I have quickie scripts I've written that depend on those numbers and haven't bothered to update them to newer, self-searching routines, which I'm quite capable of writing, but haven't needed to do yet. I would guess that I use /server by itself at least weekly.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
W
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
W
Quote:
In addition to what's already been said, I would like to also mention that many scripts (and people) use /server (by itself) to reconnect to the current server using the exact parameters used (without having to look them up again). This is handy, for instance, when helping someone get their /identd to work correctly (assuming there aren't other issues, such as firewalls, etc)...

I had made the point about scripts using it. However for someone else to mention it and to go into some more detail (part I didn't quote) only furthers that point. I wrote my own little bot scripts, and one of the features I included was a way for it to determine if it's still connected to the server or not via a self pinger (making use of $ticks for a more accurate lag detection). If it detects that it's not connected, it reconnects with a simple "server" call. It does the trick too. We are only two people who make use of that command as it is written. Imagine how many others, who may not actively use this board have written scripts with the same understand of what the server command actually does.

And that is why I mentioned about making it an option, so that it'd remain compatible, but would give them what they are looking for in their request.
grin

Link Copied to Clipboard