Mostly harmless
S
What is a bug exactaly? Please answer!!

Maria Camenzuli
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
When a program doesn't work correctly, or if there's a little mistake, it's known as a bug.

New username: hixxy
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
A bug in a program such as mIRC is basically something that is wrong with the program. So if something is not working properly in mIRC then it's a bug. If something is meant to do something, but it isn't, then it's a bug.

Some people report bugs when actually they are features - mIRC has been coded to do something, but some people think they are bugs. It's ONLY a bug if the outcome is not intended and/or the effect it has on mIRC is negative.

Just an FYI, your post titles should be descriptive of what you're asking - posting "PLEASE help me" is not going to get you helped any faster. Posting "What is a bug?" helps us helpers determine exactly whether we want to read the post or not smile

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Before using mIRC, can I reccomend taking a tutorial on how to use Microsoft Windows? "Bug" is common computer lingo, and not knowing what it is kind of says youre not to knowledgeable on computers. Taking a course on how to use your computer might be an idea.
Knowing how to use a typing program and/or an instant messaging program DOES NOT mean you know how to use your computer.

S
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
S
"Bug" is common developer lingo, and developers should the difference between developers and users. In today's world, users should not be expected to be developers and, moreover, one does not need to have a developer's understanding before than can be considered to know how to use their computer.

Soul_Eater, If you don't understand what the other threads that were being critical of your attitude were about, consider your last reply one of them. Your reply was rude and not helpful and therefore not necessary.

I take it from your bio and your posts in the Developer forum that you are in a CS or SE program in college. You have a lot to learn; your ego will prevent you from being a part of any successful development team.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Quote:
"Bug" is common developer lingo, and developers should the difference between developers and users. In today's world, users should not be expected to be developers and, moreover, one does not need to have a developer's understanding before than can be considered to know how to use their computer.

Yes, and 'bug' is a common term for any computer user, just like 'virus' and 'e-mail'. Users should be expected to know how to use their computer. If you dont know how, take a course. Or call up CompUSA and have them show you.

Quote:
Your reply was rude and not helpful and therefore not necessary.

Wrong. My reply was very helpful. I was directing the user to other resources on how to get started using their computer.

Quote:
I take it from your bio and your posts in the Developer forum that you are in a CS or SE program in college. You have a lot to learn; your ego will prevent you from being a part of any successful development team.

Well you took it wrong. Because I'm definitely not a CS major. I have no future plans to be a software engineer.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
skatergirl: you might like to check out sites like http://www.webopedia.com so that you can see explantions of terms as you come across them rather than having to wait.

General comments: while in the greater scheme of things it would be great if ppl took courses as soon as they got a computer, the reality is that isnt going to happen.Mostly ppl learn as they go, within the limits of their personal interests and desire to learn. Of course, the more you know, the better able you are to get the results you want and stay out of trouble.

So skatergirl wasnt sure just what the word bug means, so what? She asked, and thats one way you learn. i dont think its necessary to point out her lack of knowledge (obviously she knows she doesnt know, thats why she asked). Giving her specific suggestions on places to go/what to do to expand her knowledge could be helpful as long as it isnt done in a condescending manner. No one should ever be made to feel dumb for asking a question.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Agreed. Asking questions is one of the two most basic ways by which human beings learn (the other being trial and error).

No asker who is sincere should be belittled, mocked or made to feel foolish just for asking a question, however basic that question may be - ESPECIALLY in a forum that is designed to provide help and assistance!

It is worth remembering that EVERY person online or on this board started by knowing nothing at all about computers, IRC and mIRC - and I bet that every one of us learned by... asking questions!

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
I wasn't being condescending or mocking anyone. I dont know why its being taken that way.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:

I dont know why its being taken that way.

"Before using mIRC, can I reccomend taking a tutorial on how to use Microsoft Windows?"

Rhetorical questions are rude in a lot of cases, especially in this circumstance where you have asked if you can suggest something whilst at the same time suggested it anyway.

""Bug" is common computer lingo, and not knowing what it is kind of says youre not to knowledgeable on computers."

Read the points about people knowing nothing about computers and how we are here to help them. Just because it's a common word doesn't mean everyone in the world knows what it means in computer terms, and one of the ways to find out (bar searching Google/webopedia.com) is to ask us. You should be pleased really, at least they posted in the right forum smirk

"Knowing how to use a typing program and/or an instant messaging program DOES NOT mean you know how to use your computer."

They never said that knowing about IRC constitutes knowing about computers. For all you know the person may not feel good about not knowing computer stuff and is trying to learn. Secondly, the caps aren't needed and add to the general "feel" of rudeness, even though I'm sure you meant it to emphasise a point.

That is how I, and clearly others, perceived it.

I'm not going to get into a huge argument and start playing a game of argumentative ping-pong, that's what I found wrong with your reply and why I did.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard