mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
f0rbez Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
F
is there a way this can be done so that each individual user would have his/her own settings and would not interfere with the others? so if im logged on using mirc, and my brother logs on later and uses mirc, we would both have our own preferences, channels, servers, ect.
if not, is there a way to set where mirc looks for the *.ini files?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Simply install mIRC into two different directories. So you might have C:\RebeccamIRC and then C:\ChrismIRC - then create two different shortcuts from the two different mIRC.exe, then put them on your desktop and rename each other 'Chris mIRC' and 'Rebecca mIRC' (or some other chosen name).

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
/copy mirc.ini Rebecca.ini
/copy mirc.ini Chris.ini

Then, in your shortcuts:
Rebecca's mIRC
C:\mIRC\mirc.exe -iRebecca.ini

Chris' mIRC
C:\mIRC\mirc.exe -iChris.ini

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
F
f0rbez Offline OP
OP Offline
F
but when you click on an irc link which settings will it load? and also if i install to two separate directories, how will it know which program to open? i wish it could just store individual settings in each users folder like with flashfxp. maybe in future versions.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Good questions, there. I don't know, I don't use irc:[/b]// links, nor do I have my Windows XP set up for multiple users since I'm the only one who uses it or even has access to it. Consequently, I just don't know, nor do I know how I'd go about figuring it out.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Presumably, the mIRC which the user in question has read/execute attributes will be the one that is used.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
As above I only have one account with XP, however, if the reasoning behind user accounts is anything to go by, having two separate mIRC's installed in two different user accounts should effectively be the same as having two different computers with two different mIRCs - Unless of course the files are in the "shared folder".

You can control user accounts in Windows XP through Start > Control Panel > User Accounts.

What did you mean "Which programs to open"?

Might also like to take a look at this thread, and if you think it's a worthwhile idea, post it in the Feature Suggestions forum and see what others think - Khaled will also see it. Can't remember if it's been directly suggested before.

G'luck.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
F
f0rbez Offline OP
OP Offline
F
what i meant by which program, was which "mirc.exe" would it try to open. for example, if i had two directories for two separate mirc's, one named mirc1 and the other mirc2, how would windows determine which location to look in when clicking on a link?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
When you have two different "shortcuts" on your desktop they can lead to two different directories. Right click > Properties - you'll see where it leads to.

So if you have two separate directories, each mIRC has its own .ini files (which contain most of mIRCs display preferences), has it's own script files, sounds folder, logs folder, downloads folder etc. All you have to do is create the two directories, go to directory ONE and right click the mirc.exe and click 'Create Shortcut'. Then drag that to the desktop and rename it to 'mIRC1'. Then go to directory TWO and do the same with that mIRC.exe, drag it to the desktop and rename it to 'mIRC2'.

Hey presto, two individual mIRCs.

They will still both open, for example, the same Internet Explorer browser, that can't really be helped, except maybe for different XP user accounts...and even that I'm not certain of.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I

Link Copied to Clipboard