mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
L
This isnt so much a COLOR idea as it is a build off of the standard coloring schemes. how about allowing us to use boldfaced text. Another idea would be to allow us to use backround colors for things like joins/parts, etc. If nothing else it would make things really stand out AND be original at the same time. Yes I know that both of these are scriptable, but it's just a thought smile

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Original? You mean annoying as hell, right?

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
L
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
L
No, I mean to display to the individual's mirc NOT across the net. You misunderstood

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
G
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
G
I like this idea... I would love to use it so I could use the same colors for the text and join/parts and putting the join/parts as bold laugh

something like...

<colaflower>hello, i am a penguin
* Joins: Fredcamel (iamacow@royals.are.awesome.us)
<monkeyman>hi penguin

would be even better...

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
um you can. /help on join
on *:join:#:echo -a Joins:  $1-

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Theres a reason why mIRC has a scripting language.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There is also a reason why the official mIRC website contains a forum called "Feature Suggestions". Whether it is a good idea or not alot of people are attacked for posting suggestions here, and I am not saying you did it, just saying that it happens. To me, this is counter-productive.

Saying that something can be scripted is not a satisfactory reason as to why anything can't or shouldn't be added to mIRC, it's more of a cop out. Most of mIRC's standard features were once things that required scripting for, both small and large.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
because something can be scripted doesnt mean ppl cant or shouldnt make a feature suggestion about it. its fine to tell someone what they'd like can be scripted if you explain how, since they may not be aware of it.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Above two points made, and joined with some others in this sticky thread which is a good read before posting in this forum smile (whilst on the subject of things being there for a reason, so are the sticky threads!)

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
being able to script something DOES MAKE IT A FEATURE.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
There's no need to shout frown

As the sticky post link I posted previously says:

"("you can script it" is not a valuable response)."

However, it also says:

"If it's something that is very easy to do with scripts, chances are it won't be built into mIRC."

And then it says:

"(This isn't always the case, but should be considered when posting your idea.)"

So in summary:

The original poster (landon) did state he knows that it is a scriptable feature, but it was just an idea. Just an idea smile - And he has, of course, a right to put that forward and let Khaled ultimately decide. For newbies who straight away want this kind of thing, perhaps having a dialog to set it would be more useful - when you're new (and for many even when you're experienced!), 'on *:join:' looks like advanced coding, and people switch off straight away.

Now, you provided a small script which could do what garyh wanted - which is fine and everything, and I'm sure he's grateful, however, it doesn't make the feature suggestion null and void. WD, Para and me were simply pointing out that scripting something does not constitute a new feature in mIRC. So, in contradiction to your statement, being able to script something is not a feature, it's a possibility and a "get by for now" until next version..and if it's not incorporated into next version, I doubt Khaled will include it in the future either, but until then we don't know!

I really hate seeing these arguments on the board, there's no need for 'em most of the time...I've noticed a big decline in them from when I first came here some months back, and it's been a lot better and more helpful :-)

* Mentality passes round the hot cross buns 'n Easter Eggs!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
G
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
G
Umm... besides, the script he wrote doesn't work :P

This works a lot better wink

on *:JOIN:#:echo # * Joins: $nick $address($nick,3)

But yet again.. I would still like to see this feature added... :\

Last edited by garyh; 08/04/04 09:28 PM.
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
I'd quite like to see it added too... mainly because it would make my retro "greenscreen" colour scheme that bit more spiffy without having to code anything...

(OK, OK, I admit it, I get nostalgic for the old terminals... I even miss orange screens sometimes... blush)

Slightly more seriously, this does raise the obvious point that if you want EASILY CONFIGURABLE colour schemes (e.g. switching between them depending on mood, as mIRC now allows you to do), then putting this option into mIRC itself is a lot neater and easier than having to mess around programming it. To me it seems like a logical continuation of the way mIRC's colour scheme handling has been developing.

PM

Last edited by PastMaster; 09/04/04 08:07 AM.

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
S
this feature suggestion really reminds me of another feature found in mirc, even though it is scriptable.
the global timestamp!
instead of it we could just take over the echo alias, and when we see "-t" or so we add our own timestamp!
but of course, it's much easier with the feature hard-coded in mirc!

think about it! wink

Best Regards,
seec77

Link Copied to Clipboard