Print Thread
#77887 04/04/04 03:51 PM
Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
I run a bot that lets users connect through DCC Chat for various reasons. no file sharing is done, im just curious how "secure" it is, being as this "bot" will basicly have any user who wants to connect whenever he/she wants to... for as long as they want to.

So, is there some way of making it more secure if it isnt, without lagging it to all hell? Any help would be greatly appreciated smile. Ty!

#77888 04/04/04 04:03 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
DCC chat is more secure then a regulare /msg .. DCC is peer to peer, while a /msg going true the server.. so i guess u can call DCC chat secure.. but you can encrypt the text sent in it by use som DLL, i dont remember the name of it tho.. :tongue:

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#77889 04/04/04 04:52 PM
Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
well i was talking more of the lines of hacking/infecting virii. /msg is through the server, dcc chat is peer to peer (as you said) and i dont think it has anythign what so ever to do with a irc server, let alone the irc servers security.

#77890 04/04/04 06:16 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Indeed, DCC means Direct Client to Client. Quite what the *technical* dangers of having a DCC chat open are I'm unaware, I'm sure *technically* quite a few things could be done to you. You're right in saying the DCC chat has nothing to do with the server - note how if you initiation a DCC chat and then type /quit, the DCC chat remains open and active.

There can also be security issues with DCC Server - Someone can simply /nick ChanServ (when disconnected) and, if they know your IP, they can DCC send you files when not even being connected to the server. Obviously, confirmation is still needed, but it fools a lot of people when ChanServ starts sending then "IRCOpGuide.txt"!

Someone can see your IP when you connect to them via DCC too. If you're behind a BNC (Bouncer) your real IP will still be displayed - the IP displayed is the one set in ALT+O > Connect > Local Info. The ports you are using for DCC can also be detected.

I have a couple of friends who refuse to initiate a DCC chat with anyone, even a friend.

All in all though, DCC chat is safe - I've never experienced problems with it, because I only initiation DCC chats with people who are either my friends, or have come in to an #mIRC/#Help channel saying they are having trouble DCC sending...I rarely send a DCC to someone else.

There's probably more too, and will probably be posted soon from all the people who are 10x more clever than me! <g>

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#77891 04/04/04 06:31 PM
Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
k, ya basicly im just wondering if their is possible problems, and ways to safeguard myself from those problems. I need the DCC Chat because for the "gamebot" i coded&run with many users it sends far too much info & text for a server to accept and it would be getting constantly killed for Flooding.

Anyway, anyone know? smile

#77892 04/04/04 06:39 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
If you pasted 500 lines of text to a DCC chat window you will not get killed for flooding. You can paste as much as you like, because the information doesn't go through the server it does not disconnect you. Now, if you sent all that text through a query window, you would get 'Excess Flood'.

I suppose that is another risk ran with DCC chat, people can flood your chat window easily and, until you close the window, flood you. However, this is more of an annoyance than a risk.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#77893 04/04/04 07:36 PM
Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
i know, i wasent asking about flooding, i was saying my gamebot relays a lot of text and if it did it through PM compared to DCC Chat it would get disconnected. Therefor it needs to be through DCC Chat.

And my bot has protection coded into it to prevent it getting flooded. Thats easy smile. Again, im just wondering about hacking and how to prevent it (if i even have to worry bout hacking through DCC Chat).

#77894 04/04/04 07:39 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Ah, *gets unmixed up*

It should be safe to use DCC chat via a bot. Many eggdrop bots have "partylines" where, in some cases, hundreds of people and bots are interconnected.

As far as I know, nothing serious is likely to occur.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#77895 04/04/04 10:52 PM
Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
ok smile, ya this is basicly a "MuD" through DCC. i just wanted to make sure when i set this one up that i dont need to run a firewall blocking specific ports or whatever. TY smile

Link Copied to Clipboard