Print Thread
C
Codeq Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
C
hi again..

im no maniac. i just use a lot of home made scripts.. nearly 40ones active and there are some more flying around my hdd. all scripts are straight correct indicated .ini files, and all ones are below 64k size. no one is using a ON START event.
But everytime i start mirc it takes a looooong time to load them.
its anoying that i takes a while but i could live with that, but its altering. sometimes i takes 1 minute.. somtimes up to 20 ... I dont assure that there are no bugs inside (who can wink ), but i think a feature that precompiles those script and stores them within one inline source, maybe already binary file, would solve this problem.

and at this point a for() loop founds its advantages, cause u can calculate how often would be branch taken on jump commands.

some precompiled faster initializing storings? how about?

--
Codeq (J. Diel)
euIRCnet LocOp (irc.hes.de.euirc.net)
http://coding-board.de | www.euirc.net
V
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
V
I don't think mIRC 'compiles' anything to binary. It's a straight text interpreter interpreting the text over and over again through a loop. So what you suggest would be, well, it wouldn't mean anything. Besides, if you have that kind of loading time I think some of your scripts do a lot of things in the on STAR event, no?

mIRC would gain a tremendous ammount of performance by moving to a bytecode or AST interpreter, but that a different story altogether.

V
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
V
Rereading your text about the on start event. But I still find it hard to believe, does this match other peoples experience? What kind of computer do you have? Would putting the stuff in .mrc files instead of .ini's affect performance?

I used to have 30 or so files loaded in mIRC with no effects at all on mIRCs startup time. And I had a few (small) on starts. It seems strange.

C
Codeq Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
C
i dont use any scripts for styling aspects, just for a lot of statisic stuff and many algortihms to check some things... im runnin a athlon 1,2 with 512MB ram... i dont think thats a problem executing the source, my cpu load dont even touch the 5% but i think there is some improvment needed, if mirc is allocating a lot of memory. maybe its a windows bug (for example the explorer freeze if u got more than 15k files in one dir.. crop your logs more often wink )

its just an idea some source knowing dude in here can think about smirk

--
Codeq (J. Diel)
V
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
V
Something is wrong, either you're running an on START you don't know about, or your computer is doing something strange. My humble celeron450 didnt have any problems with 30 scripts so I find it hard to belive that your system has problems with 40 of them. Script caching won't do anything good at least.

G/l.

B
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
B
I have multiple mIRC clones installed using different scripts for each.. And with one of my clones, it has no scripts loaded except for a few test scripts of mine I made (very small, and no on start commands within them), yet the mIRC takes a couple minutes to load usually.

None of my other mIRC clones have this problem. So, I don't know what the problem is. Perhaps it's a virus or something.

On the clone of mIRC I use the most, I have 48 scripts installled, and it NEVER starts slowly. I am on a 500 mhz AMD-K62 with 256 megs of SDRAM. It takes about 5 or 6 seconds to load.

- Wherever you go there you are.[color:lightgreen]
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
One thing you might check: do you have logging turned on? as in, for every window you have? I found that as my oper client's logs got huge, opening even just the status window log took a VERY, VERY long time. Once I turned off status window logging and deleted the larger log files, it loaded right up, no problem.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
C
Codeq Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
C
... i feel like a fool...
but thx wink .. it was logging that causes the different starting times.. im constant on 50seconds now.
to all ya chatter outside. dont store more than 10k files in one dir, windows has a bug on indexing such many files, or whatever the explorer can freeze so does every programm that uses the explorer over winAPI and tries to dir. and dont have logfiles larger than 400MB.. :tongue:

know im runnin a service that copies and zips all files into different dirs by date and network. its a bit slow parsing them but i dont have to use that often, so its ok now.

thx @hammer

--
Codeq (J. Diel)

Link Copied to Clipboard