mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#77303 31/03/04 04:39 AM
D
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
D
In the form of colors, such as coloring if/then/else/while statements, on * statements, etc etc. I realize addons exist that do this, but c'mon, enhance the built-in editor already!

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
This has been suggested a few times already, I think it's a nice idea, I think the only issue is the size it might take up. As raccoon comments in this thread it may push mIRC's size up to 5MB. (That's a huge leap compared to the usual size increase of newer versions).

You may also like to see this thread.

Those threads also include some programs that could get you by for now...

Happy scriptin'!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
E
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
E
5MB ?!

mIRC's editor is already a RichEdit control, wich support text formatting.
So no change is needed in the code, only a parser to display the colored code is needed.

It doesn't take 5MB to write a code parser... lets say 50KB with an heavy one.

There is a DLL in dev by sax, wich does the job:

http://www.scriptsdb.org/sshotview.php?id=2227

Last edited by Epsilon; 31/03/04 08:38 AM.

T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
wwooo

D
OP Offline
D
thanks for the tip smile

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
if mirc would become 5mb, why not make the editor completely separate from mirc?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
why not make the editor completely separate from mirc?

um .. /run notepad C:\mirc\scriptname.mrc ???

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:

/run notepad C:\mirc\scriptname.mrc

If you say so, then i dont think that any feture needs to be added, everything posted here can be solved with a DLL or som type of program.. i also would like to see a script editor that wasnt built in to mirc.. people here making suggestions what they want to be added in the next version of mirc, and by answer like that u making people feel that they dont want to post anything cos they will get a "smart a$$" answer.. would be nice with a button to press "new dialog", then u got the table set with som default value.. no need to type it every time you want to make a new dialog, just press the button and..

some_name { dialog -m some_name some_name }
dialog some_name {
title "no title"
size -1 -1 60 60
option dbu
button "OK", 1, 5 47 50 10, OK
}

Last edited by sparta; 04/04/04 12:04 PM.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
OK .. you're too lazy (or too forgetful) to type it every time .. in aliases, paste:

Code:

/f12 /run notepad C:\mirc\scriptname.mrc 

then all you have to do is press F12.
The same could be done for any of the several dialog creators available

The point is, there are several text editors and dialog creation scripts out there. Why should Khaled add anything to mIRC to make it bigger than it already is. I don't think the point is to compete with Micro$oft for sheer size.

[/rant]

If you want to start flame wars over what you perceive to be a "smart a$$" answer , please take it private and I'll be happy to ignore you like I do all others with your attitude.

[/rant2]

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
General note:

As this sticky says:

"That aside, please keep posting constructive criticism. Improve on suggestions or show the poster why his suggestion just wouldn't work or make sense ("you can script it" is not a valuable response)."

In other words though, offering a scripted solution is not a bad thing, but it's also not a sole answer. As nobody knows (Except Khaled) what Khaled's going to put into the next mIRC, it's unfair to tell the person their idea is great and it should be implemented, only for them to be disappointed next version when Khaled has decided not to include it. Scripted methods are useful to the person who wants a feature, just until it gets implemented (and if it never does, well they can always just use the script).

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
I'm just saying if the mIRC editor would get huge from syntax highlighing and such, package the editor with mIRC, or hell make the install file separate. The program could be separate, but clicking the toolbar button could run it.

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
I don't think that the editor should ever be removed from the main mIRC executable/package.

Imagine: Someone (and I bet it would be MOST new users) downloads mIRC and either does not download or does not install the editor. If they then install a script which is buggy or which contains errors, they can't check it or correct it. "Bugs" will be reported which are actually just programming errors but which can't be checked. Scripts can't have backdoors removed... etc. etc. etc. All in all, far too much confusion and uncertainty to make it worthwhile, IMO.

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
many other clients dont even have a editor.. and i think that a separate editor can give the scripter much more, it dosent mather if its 10 meg, if you want to code, then you download it with a smile.. smile and i guess that the servers that have mirc stored now can handle a fev megs more smile

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
also if they are NEW users they wouldnt know what they were looking at in the editor anyway wether they had it or not. However im against removing the editor entirely.

I still think the idea that was floating around a while ago was good. You could select an editor to use (or use the internal one by default). mIRC would export a few functions for reloading scripts etc..

Have Fun smile

Link Copied to Clipboard