Print Thread
#77163 29/03/04 04:59 PM
D
DaveGee Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
D
I think that an Mirc Engine version can be a way to open a new generation of Mirc-Script Software.

Whit a non gui version of MircScript interpreter we can develop more usefully programs and Mirc Scripting would be a real language.

Why not?

byez

P.S: sorry for my bad english, but I'm italien... '¦P

N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
I believe this has been suggested numerous times. Most of the regulars here will point out (and rightfully so) the fact that much of the scripting language has no meaning in any environment other than an irc client. For example what would /nick or on text do in an application?

I can see why this suggestion is indeed popular. mIRC scrpt is quite easy to learn and can seem very powerfull (when used within its context) but I must say that for applications perhaps a platform based api (such as Win32) would be alot better.

As for the non GUI version I think this would require khaled to maintain 2 seperate versions of mIRC wich could detract from (or at best delay) future updates to the client itself. smile

Have Fun smile
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Along with the good points made above, mIRC is not a gimick program that releases preliminary versions that have special offers or something - like GUI-free mIRC etc. Another issue would be registration - Khaled would have to work even more than he already does, so would he require payment for a GUI-free mIRC? Would people be willing to pay? Is it worth it? Wouldn't it confuse matters to have more than one version available on the site?

I doubt he even has time to do such a thing anyway, a big reason that an mIRC version isn't made for other OS's is that there simply isn't enough hours in a lifetime to deal with all the feature requests and bug reports made with the Windows version, aswell as dealing with real life etc.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
N
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
N
the other people who posted do have good points but at the same time, isnt it possible to have mIRC execute itself in a command form? for instance start the normal mIRC exe with like the -c flag, and then an alias with params afterwords.

wouldnt require a second application, and serve the same purpose. also, this can work with mIRC scripts to, for instance i made a mIRC video player using several dlls, well granted it uses mIRC to allocate memory being that mIRC calls on the dll files, if i could run it from a command line format in a second version of mIRC it wouldnt affect the mIRC the user is chatting on with the massive ammounts of memory usage :P

just trying to show how this can apply to actual IRC scripting

Link Copied to Clipboard