I'm really sorry to be another person adding to this thread, but I am really at a loss as to what do do, and I have been experiencing things that, after reading through all 5 pages of posts, no one else seems to have touched upon.
- I run AVG antivirus on my computer, which scans daily for me, and is updated weekly. A few days ago I started getting this message in relation to my AVG program:
avgcc32.exe - Application Error
The Instruction at "0s5f4012a1" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".
Click on OK to terminate the program
So, I would click OK, and my AVG would shut down. When I would restarted AVG I would
a) get that same message again, and it would immediately shut down - THEN
b) I would manually launch AVG, get that same message again, and it did not shut down AVG, but when AVG launched, it showed the "Control Center" as not beng active and functional. Attempting to activate it sometimes worked, and sometimes caused AVG to shut down again.
- In an attempt to find out what was wrong, i tried to go to AVG's website at www.grisoft.com
but always got the "this page could not be found" message.
- I tried other common/major antivirus websites, but was unable to access those as well, although all other websites loaded fine.
- I thought my problem was with AVG, so I uninstalled it, had a friend download the install file for me (as I was unable to access the website) and send me the install file. After reinstalling AVG, I was still getting the same error message.
- I then called a tech friend of mine, who suggested this:
a) deactivate system restore
b) Use Trend Mirco's online scanner to check for viruses.
I discovered I was unable to access Trend Micro's Homepage, but was able to access House Scanner page.
- I ran a scan using TM's House scan, and as it was doing the initial system scan, got the following message:
Houseware has found and cleaned a malware.BKDR_IRCFLOOD.x
So, I clicked okay, and it then scanned my computer and found the following file:
Virus: DOS AGOBOT.HM
Scan result: Non Cleanable
Since it was not cleanable, I deleted the file.
- I then used TM's House scan once again, and it found nothing in the initial system scann and no viruses detected.
- After doing this, I found I was then able to access antivirus websites once again, Including te ones at Trend Micro and Grisoft that I had previously not been able to access.
- I thought I had solved my problem, so I reacvtivated system retore, and rebooted my computer.
- after my computer rebooted AVG tried to launch, and I got the same error message again. Was able to open it manually and then manually active the "Control Center"
- I then launched all the programs I typically run on my computer, including two instances of mIRC (one for me, one for my bot), and several instant messaging programs.
- I found I was once again NOT able to access anti virus website. I was not able to access Grisoft nor Trend Micro's homepage.
- I once again found my way to Trend Micro's house scanner, and used it to can my computer. I found:
a) on the initial system scan "malware.BKDR_IRCFLOOD.x" was there once again
b) it once again found "DOS AGOBOT.HM" in the same location as before.
- I then found my way here and read through all 5 pages of posts, and found that no one else seemed to have experienced the same things as I have.
I'm not a very technical person, and I don't understand things about "registry's" or "keys" and i can't really understand all the things you all have said to look for and try.
Has anyone else found these same problems? Does anyone have any suggestion that can be made simple for someone who is a technical dummy?
Thank you, and I appoligize once again for adding to this already long thread.