mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
P
everytime i download somthing from mirc as son as its done it locks up and crash's but it won't close completly then it locks my computer up and i have to resart this gets very annoying and i would liek to no why this is happing ??? it only happns as soon as a download is done or times out .................

E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
firstly i would suggest you to install the lastest mirc from http://www.mirc.com/get.html
make sure you dont have mirc set to open certain file types with other applications once they are downloaded check Options > DCC > Folders >> dcc get folders >> edit
lastly it can be your operating sytem in the end. so try things and let us know back while i find other options for you ..

P
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
P
i have the lastest version of mirc installed and i was using winxp home edition but i moved to win xp pro now it does it on both of them .......... i use mirc alot and this is gettin pretty annoying lol someone pleas help

L
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
L
I have 6.14 and when a bot DCC sends me a file, it will occasionally freeze up my computer. It's like it freezes everything up for around 10 seconds with no mouse movement, then mouse movement comes back for a few seconds. This happens over and over again, until I finally have to restart my comp. It happens about 1 out of every 10-15 times with different bots on different channels, also happend in 6.12 and earlier versions. I have Win XP Pro a 3.0Ghz Pent. with 1Gig of ram and plenty of free resources, so im pretty sure this aint the problem. I've seen this posted before, but nobody seems to know how to fix the problem.

E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
i did try to get some dcc from a friend in quick succession but nothing really happened with me as much to freeze my lappie or i would have slapped mirc with a stinky trout.
and i couldnt find any issues relating to this problem so best is to report this to the bug team and wait ?
or see if ParaBrat might have some help on this.
lets all wait.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
As L3thal pointed out, this has been posted about before, so you can try out the Forum Search feature to find the other threads.

As far as I know there is not a fix for this, and I also think it only happens with XP/2K systems. Try disabling any firewalls/routers that you have and see if it helps, aswell as making sure you have all available Windows updates.

Oh, and mIRC is a chat program - there is next to no reason you should be using it to download from bots in lots of channels. Khaled (mIRC's author) disapproves of using it for this as do many mIRC users in general. If you use DCC normally and practically (and perhaps legally?) then it shouldn't cause you too much hassle - not to say this is an excuse, but I don't think it's directly an mIRC issue anyway. It doesn't happen with me and I'm on XP Professional, mIRC 6.14, nor does it happen to that many people in general.

Either way, I hope that in the future you come up with the solution - if anyone does ever find out how to prevent it, it'd be most appreciated if you'd post here so we can direct people to it! smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
does this happen to either of you with a clean copy of mIRC without any scripts/addons? some ppl have reported probs like this that appears to be a conflict between a script and later versions of mIRC. patches that are supposed to increase your download speed have also caused probs re dcc

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
P
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
P
i never stated i download anything illegaly i just said i download things using the mirc client ! so that could just be ppls pictures .............. but yeha i have tryed unistalling mirc and reinstalling i did a clean install of win xp pr0 still does this i could download a 1kb text file and this would still happen but any other programe i use to download anything does not have this problem so i am pretty sure it is directly related to mirc ! and i would think the writer/owner of mirc would want to fix this beings they r trying to sell mirc as a product ! they would loose custmers if this happend to ppl ! becuz lets face it prolly half or more of the ppl who use mirc use it for filesharing so should just accept it and try and find a way to fix this problem ! but thats just my opinion !

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i didnt accuse you of illegal downloading, i simply asked about a couple of things that could be causing the prob to try to narrow it down. As for "just accepting" that some ppl use mIRC for rampant downloading from strangers and cause problems, no thank you.

Please realize that with any given situation, there are a lot of factors. The cause could be on the senders end or the recievers. Since the majority of ppl seem able to use dcc without probs, we then have to look for the variables in those who do have probs. It has nothing to do with a lack of wanting to resolve an issue. You use XP and have a problem, Mentality and many others use XP and dont have a problem. Have you tried without xp's firewall enabled? tried different server ports? different packet sizes?

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
P
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
P
i have tried everything that i no of ........... yes xp firewall is disabled i am running sygate firwall pro but i have tryed it with and with out this and it still does this i unistalled every programe i could from my computer except mirc and it still does this ............

L
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
L
I think I may have found at least one reason for the freeze-ups. A bot was sending me a file through DCC, then about halfway through, my comp freezes up, then reboots itself. Right after it restarted, an alert from PC-Cillin, showed that a trojan called IRC.Backdoor.Flood or something like that had been detected and removed. I read up on it, and it said that it could be used for denial-of-service attacks and channel flooding...that would explain the freeze ups and connection losses.

Z
zfr Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
Z
Can you please check if your mIRC is configured to open downloaded files with an application or perform some command of them.

It's in mIRC Options > DCC > Folders. For each item in the list, click "Edit" and look at these sections: "And then Open them with this application" and "Or perform this Command on them".

E
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
E
This same thing is happening to me right now. Sometimes a bot will start sending a file, and a few seconds in, the whole computer freezes for about 10 seconds, then stops, then freezes, then stops. Even closing everything - shutting down all processes - the freezing cycle continues.

I'm running mIRC 6.14 through a netgear RP614 router on cable. I just reinstalled Win XP Pro. Anyone come across any ideas for this problem?

E
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
E
I believe I have discovered the problem. After contacting someone who was having a similiar problem, we narrowed our similarities down to a Netgear FA311 adapter. Luckily, I have another onboard ethernet port that I switched to, and the problem has vanished.

I have no idea whether this is a problem with other cards or specific to the FA311/312 interface card, but for those of you experiencing this, I would suggest you start with your NIC.

S
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
S
Solution: Go into your device manager and then under network adapters right click the FA311 Adapter tab and choose properties. Click the Advanced tab and select the "Receive Buffer Count" and insert 64 into the value field. Your card should restart and then the changes will be put into effect and you can now download over mIRC cool

S
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
S
I to have this same problem with certain DCC transfers. I have that same nic, and altering receive buffer count solved nothing

S
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
S
I fixed my problem. i had the FA311netgear network card, i tried chaning the buffer to 64, that didn't work. so i put in a different network card, and it works jsut fine. hasn't froze since. so i suggest you get a new card if you have this problem.

K
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
K
I just fixed my problem also by changing the Netgear FA311 to a DLink network card, no more freezing, yay!

Link Copied to Clipboard