mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
milosh Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
M
Hi, there. This topic has been written many, many times, and there is not much new you can tell.
Script code is open for anyone to read, and the writter of mIRC likes it that way. If you don't want your code to be copied or ripped the best solution is not to put it public... that's my advice.
I wrote this post for those who don't want to listen, so they want to put their code on some web page, and still have "some kind" of protection from ripping. I'll give you some ideas how can you "protect" your script (or just some part) from those users who are not very good in coding. Protection from a good scripter is NOT posibile (like I said before). I'll start with some stupid (but still working as protection from those users who are new in mirc/scripting) ideas.

1. Changing the font (for alias/popups/remote)
Note: Works only if ripper is extremly stupid, or just new in mIRC.

Open the remote, go to File/Font... and change the font to Wingdings (or some other non letter font).

Now, if ripper doesn't know why cann't he read you remotes, or doesn't know that's posible to change font, your code is safe from reading in mirc enviroment. Still, he can use some text editor to read your files, but, I guess if somebody doesn't know about the fonts, he doesn't know about the files either. Read the note above.

2. Checking for some variables
If you have some variable that contains your script name, you can check if somebody changed it.

Let's say you have a variable %scrnm This is a script made by blabla!
Somewhere in your code (in some on op, on deop, on join, event) add this line:
Code:
if (%scrnm != This is a script made by blabla!) {
  remove script.mrc
  echo -s You changed my code, now you die!
}

replace script.mrc with your own filename.

You can also add this code instead of above:

Code:

if (%scrnm != $decode(@5&AI<R!I<R!A('-C<FEP="!M861E(&)Y(&)L86)L82$`)) remove script.mrc

where @5&AI<R!I<R!A('-C<FEP="!M861E(&)Y(&)L86)L82$` is what I get from //echo -s $encode(This is a script made by blabla!)

3. Checking for code length
You can always check if your code has been changed, all you need to do is check the length of your script file.

In some part of your code (on op, on join, whatever) add this code:

Code:
if ($file(script.mrc).size == 10000) {
  remove script.mrc
  echo -s You changed my code, now you die!
}

replace script.mrc with your own filename, replace 10000 with your own file size which you get by doing this //echo -s $file(script.mrc).size
BE CAREFUL: when you change anything in you code (10000 with 1000 example) the filesize will change.

Some notes:
Replace my "remove script.mrc" and echo line with the commands you want to be executed when somebody change the code.
I am not responsible for any demage that you can make to yourself, or to the others by using this codes, THESE ARE JUST EXAMPLES!
One more thing, I like open source, people can learn from it.

velicha dusha moja Gospoda
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
+ ppl who ripp off the code and inplemt it into their script cannot be called lame rippers, but some kind of coders..
(you do need a knowledge to do it after all)

M
milosh Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
M
Quote:
Protection from a good scripter is NOT posibile (like I said before).

Now, where you see "lame"?

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
jebi ga, umoran sam

M
milosh Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
M
He, he, posteno. grin

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Don't you think it's kinda 'bad form' to post ways for people to try and hide their code on a forum where practically every reply is a peice of code given by a helper? Seems like a bit of a slap in the face that people should get help from others willing to freely create and hand out code and then have those people turn around and hide their code (including the helpers') in some misplaced notion of *code ownership*. In my mind the key element of these forums and the design of mIRC scripting in general is the sharing of code and it's open nature.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
M
milosh Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
M
I already said what I think about open source, and everybody who wants to share their code will do it here (me is one of them).
I am tired of question like "help me to hide my script", but the important thing is that I said what is my opinion about this subject, and what are my advices...

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
all of these examples only work for people who blindy load a script without checking what it does first :-]

people who 'rip' scripts will have absolutely no problems with these mesures hehehe

there is NO WAY to keep people from using parts of your mirc scripts!

learn to live with it!

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
First, lemme just stress that it is not in any way whatsoever possible to prevent someone from looking at or copying your code. You *can* do it by messing with the mirc.exe file, you can use dll's or whatever, but there is nothing you can do to prevent someone from opening the file in their favorite text editor or Notepad. With your post you offer false hope to those who are paranoid. There is nothing you can do.

Specifically:

1. as you said - only works against the most ignorants
2. complete bull. all the user has to do is delete the checking of the variable and you're screwed.
3. see 2.

Also: if you are tired of having people ask the same question over and over, there is two things I can say to that:
a] this post isn't gonna help. people who ask the question either didn't care about the answers they already found here, or they didn't bother to look
b] giving people help that doesn't work isn't helping

In reply to bunar:

They are still rippers or copiers or whatever. Copying someone else's code and calling it your own does not make you a coder.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
it does if they understand what does code do, and to ripp it and implemt it they need to know coding (at least some of it) =)

D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
I think its pritty cool that you can add a little bit of code that might help protect something but I think it would be a little better if you added a snippet that would delete some major parts of the script then unload it. So then when they load it again it wont work due to the fact that you deleted the good parts. lol Then they have to download it again. If you can figure out how to do this post it up. laugh

if (Windows isin %txt.1) { /kick # $nick Windows is a badword tisk tisk tisk. }
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Anyone capable of looking at a script and deciding which bits to copy/rip/merge into their own script will see the "protection" and either remove it, or just not copy it with the stuff they want.

Face it, there is only ONE absolutely guaranteed, 100% certain method of ensuring that none of your precious scripting is ever used/stolen/ripped by anyone else - never distribute it! grin

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
If a script deleted things on someone's computer because it didn't like what the user did I don't think anyone would download it a second time, they'd just remove the whole thing and get word out for nobody else to use it. Just because someone edits a script, doesn't mean they're ripping it. Anything which tries to use integrity checks or put pointless variable checks is hindering that ability, and I would guess that there's a whole lot of people who wouldn't appreciate that.

The whole *scourge of ripping* thing is entirely over-exaggerated. If you were able to get an honest answer from people you'd find that probably about 1% of those who go on about ripping have actually had something ripped. Anyway, if you're really worried about ripping there's one simple thing you can do that will stop you from ever being ripped: Simply state in your script that people are free to re-use whatever code they want. Maybe some will give you credit, most probably won't, but you'll never be ripped again, that's for sure.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
You guys just keep stating the same thing why dont you stop giving negative feedback and just leave it alone.
Quote:
Just because someone edits a script, doesn't mean they're ripping it
well yes and no. what if you have like BY yourname please give credit to me if you edit it. and someone deletes all that and just uses everything els thats considerd ripping.
Quote:
If a script deleted things on someone's computer because it didn't like what the user did I don't think anyone would download it a second time
yes I seen many people redownload pointless scripts from sites and ask me why it keeps not working. I ask them what are you doing to it they say I edited it and I say thats why. Most people on irc are not all that smart. But you are right the good programers and mIRC users will see theys snippets and tell other people in a way thats good its warning them not to edit anything. I dont really see why its such a big deal about adding little things like this is you guys make it such a big deal lol chill out wink

if (Windows isin %txt.1) { /kick # $nick Windows is a badword tisk tisk tisk. }
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If a script deleted things on someone's computer because it didn't like what the user did I don't think anyone would download it a second time, they'd just remove the whole thing and get word out for nobody else to use it.

*Ding* This is something I did once and proudly so. A script with upcoming popularity came complete with a CTCP function which the author had control of - it deleted the complete script if the author didn't like the user. Once I advertised this fact it killed the script's usage.

Link Copied to Clipboard