Print Thread
#75090 13/03/04 03:18 PM
Y
yourmom Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Y
Im using mIRC 6.14 with Windows XP Pro. Everytime I try to download a file through DCC, my computer crashes. I had this problem before, and a re-install of Windows fixed it. I was curious if anyone knows what might be causing this, because I really don't want to install Windows again.

#75091 13/03/04 04:35 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Might try reading this thread for some suggestions.

Also make sure you have all necessary Windows updates and that all DCC ports are clear. Disable any firewalls/routers you have (for now) and see if it crashes then.

Unlikely, but disable any scripts that are running with /remote off before receiving a file/chat session. SysReset script is known to cause issues.

It's also possible that you've got a virus (twice now) - If you use DCC a lot for file sharing then it's more than likely. Try out some of the following AntiViruses:

SwatIT
AVG
Trendmicro Online Scan
The Cleaner

You may want to read http://www.mirc.co.uk/help/virus.html or this post for further virus advice.

You may want to run a Search of the Forums, I believe people have had similar problems before. For best results, expand to 'All Forums' and 'All Posts'. Use various different search terms, not just one.

Make sure you wait at least 1-2 weeks for other suggestions that may be made in this thread before thinking about reinstalling Windows again. If nothing here helps you may want to go to Microsoft's Support site.

G'luck! smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#75092 13/03/04 09:31 PM
Y
yourmom Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Y
I tried what was mentioned here, and changed the server connection port to something other than 6667, and all seems to be working now. Thanks for your help Mentality.

Link Copied to Clipboard