mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
hey all,
I got a major problem. I recently switched to a (wireless) router because of a new home network. After trying the tips and hints in the sticky topic for sends, I got dcc chat/send to work.
Now the problem: I run 2 mirc clients on 1 computer, but I cant make them DCC Chat to eachother.
The reason I have 2 clients is because 1 is for my own usual normal chatstuff and the other one is for a MUD game im working on. Before the router I had a normal usb modem and everything worked perfectly, including dcc chat from local client to client.

I've googled a lot, but nothing helping.. please, this forum is my last hope.

Thanks in advance.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
First, thanks for taking the initiative to do your own searching around before posting smile...

Default DCC ports for mIRC are 1024-5000. You only need two ports, preferably in this range, but it can be out of it too.

Make sure that if you set ports for DCC in your router that you also set the same ports in the correct DCC options area:

ALT+O > Connect > Options > Advanced

If you have 2 mIRC clients open when setting these, you will need to change them BOTH. If you have ONE client open, and then set the ports, and then open another client, you won't need to make changes to the second client.

You will need to do the same for any separate firewalls you have installed on your computer, including the XP Personal Firewall.

Check if you're having issues with DCC chatting other people too, or if it's just DCC chatting yourself.

If you've done everything else suggested in the sticky threads (and I mean everything!) and you're still having issues, you might think about contacting the router manufacturer and seeing if they can help you - might want to check out their website too, see if they have support pages.

Best o' luck!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
L
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
I already did the double port stuff 1024-1025 in mirc and in the router.
I can dcc chat/send to other people and also recieve.
So the problem is really local client to client.

I also tried DCC Chat with myself, also failed..

L
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
I think I might have a solution, but I have no idea how to do it.
I think its pretty clear than my router is the problem and either is [censored] up the data or not letting it pass at all. So is it possible to re-route data before it leaves my computer?
Im thinking of something like: <my_ip> -> 127.0.0.1
That way it wont even leave my computer, right?

I know the solution isnt really mirc stuff now.. but if someone could tell me how to try this other people might be able to solve the same issue i got wink

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Assuming your external ip is 1.2.3.4, your router/gateway is 192.168.0.1 and your local ip is 192.168.0.2, consider the following:

your computer (192.168.0.2) -> router (192.168.0.1 -> 1.2.3.4) -> internet (stormy cloud with pictures of hackers and stuff :P)

Because you have (probably) selected the 'server' method to find your ip address, both mIRC clients will be claiming their ip is 1.2.3.4. This will work for outside connections because your router will forward the request to the right machine, but for connections inside your network 1.2.3.4 doesn't represent anyone on your network (all computers inside your network see all other computers on the network with their real local ip).

There are some solutions to this, but they aren't 'transparant', you will have to make special adjustments for local to local connections:

Enable the DCC server on your machine and use /dcc chat 192.168.0.2:59 (or 127.0.0.1 for same-computer connections).

Change the ip in Options > Connect > Local info to your local address (192.168.0.2 for multiple pcs, 127.0.0.1 for same-computer connections) before you initiate a server-based dcc send or chat to a local computer, then change it back when you want to send/chat with someone over the internet.

I would think (well, it seems pratical and logical) that some routers would be able to, when receiving a packet destined for the external (NAT) ip they would filter the destination port against their own port-forwarding list and 'bounce' the message back into the local network where appropriate. This is probably some routing protocol I've never heard of. smile

The above applies (sort of) to a single PC on your network or for multiple PCs, I hope its of some help.

L
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
The " /dcc chat 127.0.0.2:59 " does the trick, cheers m8! smile

L
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
For some reason its broken again..
No idea why, I get this error with " /dcc chat 127.0.0.2:59 ":

Waiting for acknowledgement...
-
Service unavailable
-
DCC session closed

Anybody can help me out here?

T
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
T
Hey sorry I can't help you out but I am wondering what tips and hints u used to get the dcc send and chat to work in the original post. I have the same problem with my microsoft wireless router now crazy

Link Copied to Clipboard