Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#70971 10/02/04 08:24 PM
B
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
I was wondering, how long does it take to get my info to register, ya think if ya pay for something you should be able to use it, and also once mIRC is registered, can I use it in an MSN Chat room that I created? If so, does the email address I use with mIRC have to be one that is used for paid chat with msn?

#70972 10/02/04 08:38 PM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Hi!

Some info about mIRC and MSN:
mIRC is a shareware you can use for 30 days. If you like it, you can buy it (20$). It's a one time fee for all your life. You got your registration key within 24h.
mIRC is an IRC client as to connect to IRC netwoks (yes, I repeat IRC many times).
because...
MSN is an Instant Messaging client using another protocol, and it has nothing to do with IRC today (a long time ago my answer would be wrong). An IRC chat room or "channel" is not a MSN Chat room, sorry.
You can't access to MSN network using any IRC client as mIRC, and vice-versa.

Please read this thread: https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=...amp;amp;fpart=1

#70973 10/02/04 09:04 PM
B
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
well now you have me all lost, I am computer stupid and all that talk makes no sense to me are you saying I can not use Hybrid Omega in msn chat rooms?

#70974 10/02/04 09:29 PM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
I don't know what is Hybrid Omega (quite sure it's a mIRC script), but you can only access MSN using an MSN client, such as Microsoft's one, Trillian, etc... but no IRC clients as mIRC.

#70975 10/02/04 09:33 PM
B
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
I registered Hybrid mIRC, so am I getting ripped off? would be nice if things were explained better, who do I contact about it?

#70976 10/02/04 09:35 PM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Try the "Hybrid mIRC" creator... check for his E-mail/Address in a readme.txt or an "about" menu or something similar.

#70977 10/02/04 09:41 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Here's my attempt at putting it into simple terms (that I can think of):

"mIRC is a shareware you can use for 30 days."

This means you can use mIRC for 30 days for free and after those 30 days you must pay the registration fee of $20.

"It's a one time fee for all your life. You got your registration key within 24h."

You never have to pay again, even when new versions of mIRC are released the same registration passes on. When you register mIRC, you get sent a registration key which is a mixture of numbers. When in mIRC, type /registration and there is the box that you put the key in. When you register, the key gets sent to you within 1 day (24 hrs).

"mIRC is an IRC client as to connect to IRC networks"

IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is a "protocol". mIRC (we don't know what the 'm' stands for) is a "client" - The client connects to IRC, and then you can see other people who are also connected to IRC...and that is, pretty much, all there is to it! A "network" is a group of servers joined together. DALnet, EFnet, QuakeNet, Undernet and IRCnet are examples of networks.

"MSN is an Instant Messaging client"

MSN Messenger is an IM (Instant Messaging) "client" (like mIRC is a client). It does not connect to IRC and you can only talk to people that are added to your contacts list (I'm sure you know all that stuff).

MSN Chat rooms are slightly different. They are blocked, and they do not allow people to connect who use IRC clients such as mIRC. Again, it is suggested you read this thread because it explains it best. You are also required to pay to use MSN chat rooms. When you pay for mIRC, you are not paying for MSN chat room subscription. mIRC Co. has NO business or legal affiliation with the Microsoft corporation.

When you register mIRC, you still cannot use mIRC with MSN. No matter what you do, you cannot use mIRC to connect to MSN. Sorry frown

Edit: Anything that is official and related to mIRC will be listed on here, the mIRC website. If you register mIRC you should *ONLY* be doing it from here. There are no different names for mIRC, it's just mIRC <version number> (i.e. mIRC 6.12 is the latest) - no Hybrid mIRC, Panther mIRC, mIRC X Edition etc etc.
If you paid for an mIRC script, it may have been legal but you may also have been ripped off. I'm not a lawyer so I can't give much advice on that. There is no need to register scripts, they will run on mIRC..and if they don't, they're rubbish scripts and there are plenty out there you don't need to register. If it was a fake version of mIRC you got from somewhere OTHER than this website, it might be a fake version, possibly a trojan infected version. I suggest you scan with AVG and SwatIT to make sure you're clean.

If you have doubts about anything related to the mIRC client itself, always post here to be safe. Most posts will be answered within 12 hours, if not before.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#70978 10/02/04 09:45 PM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Heh :P can't explain better (no inspiration sorry, eheheheh)

#70979 10/02/04 09:49 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Sorry, upon re-reading, cutting down your post probably seemed patronising. It wasn't meant to be, I wasn't explaining your points any better, just elaborating on them. I use the exact same wording as you do, we both know how to cut it down and make it easier when required smile

Happy helping!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#70980 10/02/04 10:01 PM
B
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
I installed hybrid omega, and it says it can be used for msn chat rooms and chat groups, and when I registered it it took me to the mIRC page for registering, so now what is that all about? This is the place it takes me to register Hybrid Omega

http://www.mirc.com/register.html

#70981 10/02/04 10:06 PM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Hi again!

"it can be used for msn chat rooms and chat groups"
Well, it maybe integrates some addon script allowing you to connect to MSN.
Try reading the whole "hybrid omega" help or features list if it has one.
If not, you can always download an MSN addon script.

This not mean our discussion was wrong, a script is not mIRC, it's something you have to add and code. mIRC's "core" only uses the IRC protocol, but a mIRC script or addon can be totally customized, so it can simulate any protocols, like MSNs.

#70982 10/02/04 10:07 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
That is indeed the correct page. However, MSN does not allow IRC connections, and if people do connect via IRC by, say, using spoofers to "trick" the MSN server(s) into thinking that you're connecting via the website, then they are breaking rules and MSN policies.

I've never heard of what you're using and without using it myself I can't really see, or explain, what's going on. However, I strongly suggest you download mIRC 6.12 and nothing else, and connect to an IRC network rather than MSN chat rooms.

We do not help with connecting to MSN chat rooms via IRC.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#70983 10/02/04 10:50 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
you can connect to MSN using an msn connection yes, but it's frowned upon.
hybrid is an msn script, not a connection.

New username: hixxy
#70984 11/02/04 07:18 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
One of the special features of mIRC is that it allows the creation of 'scripts' - basically meaning that it can be programmed to look different and to do things automatically, and even to do things that the 'normal' mIRC (the one you can get from this site) does not do.

(Take a sportscar as an analogy. mIRC is the engine, and the script is the fancy bodywork with all the spoilers and the nifty paint job!)

Hybrid Omega is a script. This means that it was written by a mIRC user, and is NOT part of mIRC. The script does not need registering, just the 'engine' that is mIRC - which is why it sends you to the webpage on this site.

We cannot usually help specific scripts and have no control at all over the claims that the script author makes. If you have been misled, contact the script author: it's their fault!

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#70985 11/02/04 08:18 PM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
You make me wonder... where exatly is this hybrid omega telling you to go to the mIRC page for registering? On our website you can register mIRC. Period. There is nothing else you can register with us smile

Is it possible you're mixing up things? From what I understand Hybrid Omega is a script you can load in mIRC to connect to MSN Chat rooms. But that script is created and maintained by people who have nothing todo with the development of mIRC, and vice versa.

#70986 11/02/04 09:59 PM
M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
From what I understand:
Maybe the Hybrid Omega script is being "distributed" along with a copy of mirc32.exe (which is, I think, illegal to do). Therefore, when the user thinks he's registering the Hybrid Omega script, not knowing that what he/she should be paying for is mIRC, he/she's being forwarded to the mIRC registration page...
correct me if i'm mistaken

In peace and good thoughts,
/me

Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
#70987 11/02/04 11:40 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
it doesn't tell you to register mIRC at all and it distributes a mIRC.exe (not sure which version), it was the 2nd script i downloaded when i started using mIRC

#70988 13/02/04 06:27 PM
K
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
K
Ok, as far as "I" know, which most likely isnt much to the rest of you.. but MSN and IRC are completely different clients which do completely different things in my eyes.. Like all the people of this thread who have told you the different between mIRC and MSN, MSN is an IM... Instant Messeging Client which can be found at www.msn.com i belive, MSN is also an email provider for free.... "aka" hotmail! mIRC can be found HERE! This is the only website that you can honestly trust to download ANY IRC information, docs, or downloads... their are scripts out there that you can download from different places but their not always trusted, I admit I use a script which I hate, but it makes mIRC easier when you are very active with IRC... the normal version which i belive is 6.14? or am I wrong? but those are always the most trusted clients you can get for mIRC... other than that.. I don't know what else to tell you.. Sorry grin

Regards,

KG6NCL (Aaron)
#70989 13/02/04 06:33 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
MSN and IRC are servers, MSN WEBCHAT and mIRC are clients.
mIRC 6.12 is the latest version, if you have a "later" one, it's most likely a virus.

#70990 14/02/04 11:42 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Quote:
MSN and IRC are servers

I think you'll find that IRC is a protocol, actually...

PedantMaster

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard