mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
Pap Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
either via a script, or better yet, a built-in dialog similar to the Address Book's Colors tab. An example of its usage might be to append a nick's idle time in seconds/minutes/whathaveyou.

ex:
@onick1 (34m)
@onick2 (25m)
@onick3 (3h23m)
+vnick1 (15m)
lamernick (3m)

you get the idea. perhaps it could allow you to set color codes or bold or underline or whatever to nicks that meet a certain criteria, like nicks on a channel that are idle for over an hour are displayed dark blue.

the only thing I can think of that might make this a security problem is if a script that someone else gave you tries to display a completely different name where a person's real nick should be. it should not be difficult to prevent such a thing from happening while still giving us great flexibility in the presentation of the nicklist.

C
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
C
You can do this using a script..

C
Babel fish
Babel fish
C
I believe he's talking about mIRC's built in nicklist (per channel) not how the nickname displays within the channel window. I myself would like to see more customizability to help distinguish different status' in the nicklist. It would come in handy in large channels.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I agree. In fact, this would be one of the advantages that we would have if the /*line commands (currently supporting only custom @windows) supported all window types.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
such a thing could easily be implemented into an IRCd. im sure you could set a setting in nickserv or wotever services and have it simply make it look like the person in question is changing nicks.. preventing security risks.. but alas. it is a good idea...

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Then again, not all networks have Services...and people who's IRC homes are big networks are not likely to experience this due to the politics behind changing IRCds for big networks (i.e. Quakenet/Undernet etc). On top of this, if it's not a clientside feature then people who aren't mIRC users will have to wake up one day and suddenly find they have this nicklist thing going on...and then when they investimigate, they find out it's because a bunch of mIRC users wanted it to happen. You know how those OS wars start heh. (M$, Winblows *yawn*)

Personally, I think it would be a nice addition to mIRC. There is already quite a bit of flexibility with the nicklist regarding colours you can set depending on their status, but idle times and other things which people may suggest would also be nice, provided it's customisable.

It is possible to script it so if you right click a nickname the idle time will show in a popup, but not so it actually displays it next to the nickname as in the example. The only thing *I* would dislike about this is the amount of space that would be required for the nicklist. I like mine quite thin and not taking up too much of the main window (fraction smaller than the default basically).

My 2 pennies.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
Just reading your post. i just thought to myself. Why not have 'tooltips' for each item.. that can be programable.. can be used maliciously.. and well.. ppl could customise it to show all info they wish to display..

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I'm not 100% sure what 'tooltips' actually are, I've heard the term though (feel free to enlighten me, in fact, I encourage it!). Perhaps then I can (dis)agree with the idea :P

Oh, and I'll assume that "can be used maliciously" was a typo and you meant "can't" wink

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Tooltips are those little yellow rectangles containing text that you sometimes get when you mouse-over something in Windows smile

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Oh good, I'm not completely dumb then, that's what I thought they were. Sheesh, I should have more confidence in myself! blush

Anyway, back to the idea, I think that would be an ok idea except for the fact that someone might want to just scroll down the nicklist and look at the info...not hover the cursor over one specific nickname and wait for the info to appear. So like, you want an overview of all the info on all nicknames rather than an individuals info, tooltips can't help you there, you need the info displayed easily.

My 2 pennies.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
How about assigning a key combination to showing this "alternate" nicklist. allowing for normal showing of "real" nicks/mode + when these key combination is pressed. it will show all alternate info's that has been set. or even turned on/off by command line.. in event someone gets a virus that changes all the nicks u can turn it of. or even block it from being turned on *shrugs*
just an idea.. grin blush

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Key combos are useful and I think that is a good idea. Perhaps it might be a little difficult to add another key combo though, there are already quite a few. I think a checkbox to enable/disable is easiest with an alias that can do the same like many other features in mIRC.

I don't think that it's possible for mIRC to obtain the alt. nick of another user. I think this alternate nick list would only be able to show certain bits of information.

Besides, there's a high (majority) chance that this won't be included in mIRC. But who knows smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard