Print Thread
#70475 06/02/04 06:06 PM
R
r00ted Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
R
hello. I just discovered today, that it is possible to /ignore IP addresses, as well as IP ranges. But, would like to know how effective this is. Does it really "ignore" the user? And lets say x.x.x.x is on my ignore list, does it work BOTH ways? In that I wont be able to talk/ctcp/dcc chat/etc to him? Or does it just make it so that he can't talk/ctcp/dcc chat/etc to me? Also, I noticed the IP addresses are stored in the control.ini file within the mIRC directory, is there a limit to how many ranges/addresses can be entered? Ive been getting hit with crazy spam attacks accompanying multiple IP RANGES, and its gotten out of hand and was just wondering if the ignore would block outgoing and incoming activity from that particular IP address/range.

thanks in advance!

#70476 06/02/04 07:11 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
ignore is a one way street. If you ignore an IP block, everything people from that IP block say or do will be ignored. But strictly one-way.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#70477 06/02/04 09:02 PM
R
r00ted Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
R
ok so if Im reading that correctly, if x.x.x.x is on my ignore list, I wont receive any DCC/text/CTCP from him?

and

lets say I initiated a DCC chat with x.x.x.x would the DCC chat go through?

#70478 07/02/04 09:25 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
the dcc would get through, but the moment the other guy's mirc responds, the whole thing dies out because you don't see the response.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#70479 07/02/04 01:40 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
The /ignore command also has different 'switches' that determine what kind of messages and events you'll ignore from another user or users. For example, if you only wanted to ignore private messages and notices from a user, then you might do:

/ignore -pn nickname 2

This would ignore *!*@hostname.or.IP but only if they /msg or /notice you. You will still get CTCP's, DCC and channel messages from them. The '2' is what adds the *!*@hostname.or.IP. Instead of putting that, you could change it to /ignore -pn *!*@ip.here and not specify a nickname or ignore type number. You would have to do this if the person you wanted to ignore is not online.

See /help /ignore for a list of what the different switches do. You can edit ignores in a dialog - press ALT+B and go to the 'Control' tab and choose 'Ignore' from the drop down list at the top. To see a list of ignores, type /ignore -l.

As for receiving spam from multiple IPs, you might like to ask in the network's #Help channel, or check the network's website to see if they have some kind of usermode that will block spammers from messaging you. Some networks, like DALnet, have had such a problem with spam bots they've had to implement these modes. In the case of DALnet, and indeed most networks which have this kind of mode, it is +R. The command to set it is /mode your-nickname +R. (It is CaSe sensitive, so +r is not the same as +R)

To expand on the whole 'IP block' thing, aswell as IP blocks you can ignore entire Internet Service Providers (ISPs). This is good because not everyone hasn't had their hostname resolved so sometimes their hostname is shown instead of an IP. For example, if someone from AOL keeps evading your ignores and keeps messaging you anyway then you can add *!*@*.aol.com on to the ignore list so no matter how many times he reconnects it will still ignore him. However, the downside is it will also ignore anyone using the AOL ISP and because of it's popularity you would be ignoring a lot of people, possibly even friends.
Some networks have a policy on harassment, and usually evading ignores is against network policy. You might try going to a help channel, or if you know of one, an oper help channel, and seek assistance.

DALnet have a good document on using the /ignore and /silence commands. Read here. Unless you're a DALnet user the rest of that document is not that relevant due to the abuse emails/websites which are provided.

Hope this has been of use to you and not confusing smile

Happy chatting!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#70480 07/02/04 01:41 PM
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
For queries and dcc chats; if you have a query/chat window open (or if YOU open one) to someone on your ignore list their messages are still displayed.

For ctcp's etc or if there is no query|chat window open, the messages do get sent to you, mIRC simply drops them.

#70481 12/02/04 07:33 PM
R
r00ted Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
R
cool thx for the replies guys, appreciate it.

Anyone know how many ignores mIRC will allow before it crashes by chance?

#70482 26/02/04 06:15 PM
R
r00ted Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
R
hmmm.....elaborating on this issue some more.....I did
/ignore 139.091.000.000-139.092.255.255
within IRC
followed by /saveini (to update the control.ini)

and.....I had a user within that range send me a notice, and for some reason, I saw the notice on my screen? Is this correct? It was a personal notice, not a notice to the whole channel, here is the notice he sent:

[13:13] -<nickname>- : hello r00ted this is a test and it was a "brown" shade, so Im guessing that was a private ctcp notice? yet, it showed up in the channel on my screen?

Could this error be due to the "padded" IP range I used?

#70483 26/02/04 08:58 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
/ignore doesn't support using ranges, you should use a wildcard like this: 139.91.*.*

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#70484 27/02/04 11:18 AM
R
r00ted Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
R
hmmmmmm okay. that makes sense...still weird that mIRC displays
-
* Added *!*@0.0.0.0-1.1.1.1 to ignore list
-

hmmm...

#70485 30/03/04 09:22 AM
P
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
P
how can i /ignore all ctcp´s from every users?
do somebody know the command?

#70486 30/03/04 09:29 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
/ignore -t *

The -t means CTCP, and the * means *!*@* which is any nickname, any ident, any hostname.

Remember, because of the way DCC works, if you add CTCP to ignore you also cannot receive DCC sends.

See /help /ignore for more help and an explanation of what the switches do.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard