mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#70054 02/02/04 04:26 AM
C
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
C
How do i add my irc server to the server list?

#70055 02/02/04 06:23 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
These forums have a search button. I suggest you use it to prevent asking questions that have been asked a million times over already (like this one). Had you done so, you would have found THIS LINK HERE .

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#70056 03/02/04 01:37 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
/me still wonders why so many people go to you for help on DALNET

New username: hixxy
#70057 03/02/04 02:10 PM
E
EVH Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
E
same here

#70058 03/02/04 03:28 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's one thing to tell a user about the search feature. It's another to be sarcastic and rude. Would you like to take your frustrations out on something else, and not the forums please?

To the original poster:

If you open servers.ini with a text editor suchas notepad, or wordpad, there are instruction how to add your server at the top of the file.

-KingTomato
#70059 03/02/04 08:26 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
That's just about enough. Where the hell was I sarcastic and rude??????????

I seuggested to him to use the search feature.
I directed him directly to the post in these forums with the right answer.

Stop yapping at me for answering his question. And if I were you I would NOT follow in the footsteps of EVH. (just read that dumbass location line that bleeps up the whole forums page). Not unless you wanna be reported for the abusive behaviour he has shown here repeatedly in the past, both here and other places.

And just in case: yes I am getting rude now.

edit: and you should read more carefully - he doesn't want to add his server just to his list, he wants to add it to the list people download. Therefor your answer is wrong.

DALnet #Helpdesk
#70060 03/02/04 08:44 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
edit: and you should read more carefully - he doesn't want to add his server just to his list, he wants to add it to the list people download. Therefor your answer is wrong.

I don't suppose you actually tried his answer before posting that, did you? Perhaps you should.

#70061 03/02/04 08:48 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
If he opens his own versions file and adds his own server - that will have zero influence on my servers file. I will still not see his server listed. That is what he wants as far as I can tell.

DALnet #Helpdesk
#70062 03/02/04 08:50 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
"If you open servers.ini with a text editor suchas notepad, or wordpad, there are instruction how to add your server at the top of the file. "

That suggests we should have a look at the top of servers.ini, so let's:

"; Please send detailed suggestions, new servers, network errors and broken
; links to [email]servers@mirc.com.[/email] Details on http://www.mirc.co.uk/help/serverlist.txt
; Updated August 16th, 2002"

Exactly the same URL you posted.

#70063 03/02/04 08:57 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Agreed - but it is still not what KingTomato said - he just told him the file had instructions on how to add the server to the top of HIS file. He never mentioned anything about uploading it anywhere.

Blah, I don't need this.

DALnet #Helpdesk
#70064 03/02/04 09:05 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Just my general opinion:

I do think Locutus's answer could have been answered differently, more the last sentence than anything (Re: "had you done so") it just seems a little condescending. However, the user is referred somewhere useful and gets their answer.

On the other hand, KG, you have been defending EVH in a few threads, and as Locutus says it's not wise to be on the side of someone who is constantly in trouble with this board's administration - whether you're being fair or campaigning for equal rights or whatever, it doesn't reflect well on you. That in itself is perhaps not fair, but that's the way things go.

I call for a group hug! *G*

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#70065 03/02/04 09:09 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
/me hugs Mentality. But in a manish way without making it look weird.

DALnet #Helpdesk
#70066 03/02/04 09:19 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
lol, if anyone doesn't want hugs feel free to send the cookies over :P

* Mentality schemes and plots

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#70067 03/02/04 10:18 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Lets me first start off by saying I have never favored your personality or attitude. From the start of you posting here, I have always had a problem with the way you deal with users simply asking for help. If you need me to find former posts (ones before EVH's gathering to this forum) then please let me know, I will do so.

Secondly, I'm not taking anyone's side. I am stating the obvious, and in both cases that has been your inability to be courteous to users looking for a simple answer.

Now, as for me putting out words like rude and sarcastic, you're statements in your original post don't exactly hint politness.
"These forums have a search button. I suggest you use it ..."
"Had you done so, you would have found THIS LINK HERE . " (I'd like to comment on the use of the capital letters, to emphasize 'screaming' at the user.)
I think that summarizes both accusations failry well, don't you?

Another thing, I think i answered you in a very polit matter. Why do you feel it neccisery to answer back with things like "Stop yapping at me for answering his question." "Where the hell was I sarcastic and rude?" After all, this is a public forum, I doubt the swearing is necessary.

And finally, like i blieve it was Collective that pointed it out, had you actually read the instructions I gave them, I did answer their question. You even called collective's bluff, and was proved wrong. Again. And incase my sentance wasn't enterpreted correctly, or rather as intended, what the instructions in the file tell you is "how to add your server" (which hapened to be located "at the top of the file.").

Mentality

Excuse me but I pick my own stances and opinions. I don't agree wtih someone else just to brown nose. If I have an opinion, you can be assured I believe in it strongly, and not doing it because someone else said so. As I mentioned in Locutus's reply, I have had a tiff long before EVH. The fact that I am agreeing with them is merely the fact they got to the thread before I had--that's all.

As far as reflecting well on me, I don't care what I am seen in yours or others eyes. I come to the forum in my own free time, to aid the assistance of others whom have a question, o rneed help on a topic I am knowledgeable in. Even if I am not as knowledgable, I make it a point to either help to the best of my ability or find the answer to the solution (if not both). Not that its an offical stance, or to get self-cenetered, but I have had plenty of PM's saying thanks for the help, as well as a user rating of 4 stars. I think that denotes me having some courtesy. Again, not an official ranking by any means, But i must be doing something right.

General Reply

I don't want to be the jerk here, all I want is to get things out in the open. My whole point was that Locutus could have handled this post (and others) in a more sincere way than that which was presented. Sorry if this got out of hand, or if any harm was done, but I felt it needed to be brought to the attention of the author.

-KingTomato
#70068 03/02/04 10:24 PM
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Hear! Hear!

#70069 03/02/04 10:57 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
....does this mean I have no hug? frown

BTW, speaking of handling things better, 3 people ganging up on locutus is not a nice thing to do and is not a nice feeling to have. *shrugs* I don't mind people having an opinion as long as they don't mind me having mine :P

Personally, I think a PM woulda been better, or asking a Moderator to speak to the person in question if you think it'll just end up causing arguments (which is likely, people have a problem with their "equals" giving them advice, it's a psychological thingymabob).

Anyway, these threads of arguing just..don't help anyone and looks lame. It'd be nicer if everyone just got a long. I can already hear the Barney theme tune! laugh

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#70070 03/02/04 11:20 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I would't call it ganging up, as much as it is bringing information to one's attention. There are obviously others who feel the same as I (one noted by the reply to my post), and they appear to want to also express their thoughts. Had a better attitude been taken towards replies in the first place, this issues would never have occured.

As far as asking a moderator, I blieve in respect at the 1 on 1 levels. If someone has a problem with me, I'd much rather them talk to me first, then to go involve another person in the matters. Just as I repect Locutus enough to confront her person to person, I would expect her to do the same.

-KingTomato
#70071 04/02/04 05:25 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
him. not her. unless the mirror lies to me in the morning and I've been peeing the wrong way for all my life.

DALnet #Helpdesk
#70072 04/02/04 06:19 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
General reply: Everyone has their own writing "style". Since we are dealing with the written word and arent able to see hints in eyes, tone of voice, etc, as well as the fact that english isnt everyone's first language, its easy for misunderstandings or misinterpretations of intent to happen. And lets face it, we all have bad or busy days when our wording might be more abrupt than others.

If anyone has concerns about how they take the tone of a post, in most cases i agree they should discuss it with that person privately. Nothing is gained by publicly humiliating/embarassing/belittling a person. That only creates hard feelings and is hurtful. Constructive critism offered privately is more respectful and better recieved.

Accusing ppl of "brown nosing" just because they respect the policies of this forum has gotten old. Odd how if someone agrees with a person its considered expressing their opinion, but if they disagree its brownnosing. Everyone, (not just the posters on this thread) enough with the bickering and personal attacks in general please. Its hard to not respond to someone attacking you, but i think you'll agree its pointless to feed the flames? If you dont like a person, then take it private, work it out, or ignore them. Dont let it drag these forums down. You all have so much to offer the ppl who come here for help

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard