Print Thread
#68638 20/01/04 08:36 PM
B
bunar Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
B
i cant understand 1 thing... on many colleges that have flatrate internet they block certain ports including IRC ports...

why?

i mean, if they think they will stop transfer of some illegal things then they should remove i-net conn coz ppl still surf and download shocked

or maybe i am too stupid to grasp the main idea...
anyone can clear my horizons ?

#68639 20/01/04 10:03 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
They don't go out and do a selective block usually. By nature, they almost always "Deny all" then allow the ports that are "ok" by the administration. As they are needed, ports are added to an acceptable range. "i-net" most likely uses the web port, as thats how most bypass settings.

-KingTomato
#68640 22/01/04 07:55 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Quote:
i mean, if they think they will stop transfer of some illegal things then they should remove i-net conn coz ppl still surf and download shocked

By definition, universities/colleges are supposed to contain large concentrations of reasonably intelligent people... and therefore, I think every college must know that putting a complete stop to the illegal use of all its internet-linked computers is almost impossible. Those bright young things will keep finding new ways of doing it.

HOWEVER, the key issue here is liability. As long as a college can show that it is actively trying to stop illegal use, then it is unlikely to be taken to court by, for example, the Recording Industry Association of America. If a college makes no effort at all, then it is effectively an accessory to the crime... and can be fined lots and lots of money.

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#68641 22/01/04 05:59 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If a college makes no effort at all, then it is effectively an accessory to the crime... and can be fined lots and lots of money.

Well, that's not EXACTLY true... as a college falls under the same protection as an ISP does. You can't sue the highway commission for providing an accessible route to a criminal's hideout or to a murder scene. Just because your telephone company allows you to share classified government secrets with foreign terrorists, they can't be held responsible for it.

As far as making an effort to block valid modes of transport in order to stop criminals... everyone knows a determined criminal will find a way, regardless, while only the innocents will suffer. Eg: Legitimate 6667 chat services will be stifled while warez remains prevalent on web:80.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!

Link Copied to Clipboard