mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Mokele Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
M
Several IM programs have recently added a feature that allows you to see when other users are typing in reply, which proves to be especially useful in determining if a long wait is because they've forgotten about you or are enting an unusually verbose reply.

Would it be possible to add this feature to mIRC in future versions? Possibly by changing the color of the usernames in the sidebar while they're typing?

Mokele

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
mIRC doesn't know when people are typing, there's nothing in the IRC protocol about such a system.

If it was implemented using CTCPs or similar it would generate alot of traffic for the server, and also give users other of clients/older versions of mIRC a flood of messages.

Too much bother for too little gain, IMO.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
this has been discussed before, if you'd like to read the others, use our search feature and be sure to set it to all forums. i'd also expand the date range to all posts, since i cant remember exactly when the last time was. Perhaps use a search term of typing to start with

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Ugh. Channel operators in help channels would be nagged incessantly for not providing split-second responses if this ever happened. It's bad enough already *shudder*

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
mIRC is NOT just one of those other IM's. Let's stay away from making it look and feel like another MSN messenger. IRC isn't meant to be like that!

mIRC 6.21 - Win XP Pro (SP2) - 2.4 Ghz - 1 GB Mem
irc.x-tab.org
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Agreed!!! grin

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
Hello Mokele,

As mentioned already, it would be more hassle than it's worth. Please keep in mind that I'm not discrediting you or your idea, but several factors have to be kept in mind...

Unfortunately for you, the IRC protocol (server side) does not handle -- and could not handle such traffic. In summation, some networks that carry an abundance of users are already overwhelmed with traffic. Most IRC networks are provided free of service (to you), which means the network owners have to pay for the servers, bandwidth, etc. And since we're privileged to use such networks without cost, it would be unlikely that a lot of these networks would spend a truckload of money to upgrade a connection for a protocol which would most likely pass a lot of data.

Now, since a lot of networks probably would never impliment such a concept, you would be left to having to do a client based protocol. That would be entirely possible, but since most people appreciate not having their IP address and hostname visible to others (as most networks mask the hosts and IP addresses of others), then it could be in some ways, an invasion of privacy. Clients would be able to see or detect the address (in one form or another) and potentially do damage to other computers by knowing that address.

I love the idea, as I think it's interesting and would be an improvement to IRC, but since the inception of IRC in 1988, the protocols and concepts have not really changed all that much. Therefore, I find it unlikely that many people would have an interest to impliment it.

Regards,

John

Link Copied to Clipboard