mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
V
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
V
a new /echo switch, which will apply the settings from the nick colours dialog (the one in alt+b) to nicknames
it makes sence, since there are switches which make /echo respect all other visual settings
not that I will use it, but all those who set nick colours both for listbox and channel messages and use custom display engines (themes, etc.) will appretiate it
it should be something like $replace($line,$nick,$+(ctrl+k,$cnick($nick).color,ctrl+k))

another thing - extend nick colours so we can assing different colours for different channels, like having ops in #channel in green, and ops in #chan in blue
I'm sure kiddies will love it smile

(and I know they both can be scripted ;b)

And all I need now is intellectual intercourse, a soul to dig the hole much deeper
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The address book has such a feature as nick coloring. I think that is what you're looking for...

-KingTomato
V
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
V
nope
have you ever tried it with ^ halted events, like in themes
even if you have set colour for example for all opers, and choosed messages and listbox, nicknames won't appear coloured in messages
so I'm asking for a /echo switch that will do the job, just like we have /echo -bf for beeping/flashing respectivly

And all I need now is intellectual intercourse, a soul to dig the hole much deeper
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
When you begin changing the apparance, you take on that responsibility yourself. It shouldn't be mIRC's job to color nicknames of those you have set. IMO, it should be left to the user, not up to mIRC.

-KingTomato
V
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
V
well the situation is just like with beeping/flashing as I've already said
the issue is, you make a theme, but make it work with mIRC's options also, and I beleive that's the main reason for adding -bf switches to /echo
whatever, I'm not going to argue anymore, it's just a suggestion

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
That would make it colour nicknames even if they're in the actual text "scope"..
For example: "<cold> blah cold bleh"
I don't think this would be the generally desired effect, not for me at least.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
Something that may be more useful would be a prop for $nick (or a new identifier) that returns the [!@%+.]nick, if the option is turned on and target is a channel, with applicable color from the color list. This would replace "$+(,$nick(#,$nick).color,$nick(#,$nick).pnick,)" (as well as eliminating a $readini to check if the mode prefix option is on/off) for channel messages and "$+(,$cnick($nick).color,$nick,)" elsewhere, only if the options are set and only the highest applicable mode prefix should be included in the result.

e.g $nick.pcol returns @nick for channel targets, and nick elswhere.
echo -mbflirt <targ> $nick.pcol $1-

If the "<"brackets">" were to be able to be set by the user in a future version, then this should also include those- "(@nick)"

V
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
V
I beleive Khaled i capable to implement this in a way that only the nickname itself is replaced, not words containing it, I know I am smile

V
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
V
your suggestion is more "scripting" related, my idea was to add a switch that does all the job smile

the "built in" customisation of event's prefixes/suffifex, those ***/*, <>, and so on is something I've always wanted, changing them with scripts (if possible) isn't something a novice user can deal...

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well I'm not talking about words containing nicknames. As you see in the example, the nickname *itself* was coloured. But of course I know what you mean, and I know Khaled could overcome this issue.

However, the main issue here is *consistency*.

The way Iori suggested seems much more like mIRC's way of dealing with everything about its scripting language than a switch that would arbitrarily find a nick in the related string and take care of colouring only the one you really want it to colour. You could echo anything, mIRC can't guess the format you use.

If people want it to be "easy", it won't be any easier having this, it's still scripting (you're still using remote events, /echo and etc.) - also, an /echo switch is built-in, but isn't an mIRC identifier as well?
It's best to have a built-in themeing GUI or the like, which many people have already suggested.

My own opinions, anyway

Last edited by cold; 18/01/04 09:05 AM.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
Quote:
your suggestion is more "scripting" related, my idea was to add a switch that does all the job
Commands and switches for commands are also "scripting related" grin

V
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
V
okay, you win ;b

Link Copied to Clipboard