mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
T
Not discovered by me. And not a real bug since mirc simply tries to join channel 0 making it part everything.

However it is extreme easy to make people try to join it, and this can give you advantages (op etc) and therefor it should be restricted.

Exploits Explained II: The #2,000 bug / by R a v e N (blacksun.box.sk): http://blacksun.box.sk/tutorials.php/id/14

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Just joins #2 here, doesn't part any channels on my mIRC.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
It's actually a feature in some IRCds, if it doesn't do anything for you then it just means that your server's IRCd doesn't support it or the admins switched it off.

This is really more of a feature suggestion than a bug report, but I agree there should be some sort of option to prevent sending JOIN 0 from the /join command.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
H
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
H
Not a bug with mIRC, as you said in your post, and just incase someone missed it, most ircds will support the command JOIN 0 and it will part you from all channels.
as most ircds dont allow a comma in the channel name, so if you type /join #2,0 it will part you from all channels, some servers will allow you to use JOIN 000 aswell, this will work on ircd's like unreal, but not on ircu (undernet/quakenet)
so, if you open a /debug @window
then type

/raw JOIN 000
on the server this happens on, the same thing should happen. you part all channels.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's more of a Lesson To Newbies than a bug.

Put simply -- don't type things people tell you to.
Just be glad your computer still works. smirk

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
You really don't have to type things people tell you. You just have to attempt to join a channel by double-clicking, something that should be (and is) non-intrusive and should not affect your other channels. Someone who does not know about this feature has no reason to believe this will not occur.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Clicking on #2,000 will take you to #2 and will not part your channels.

Listening to people tell you "Type /JOIN #2,000 for warez!" teaches you many life lessons, however.

1. Don't type /JOIN #2,000
2. Don't be a sheep and blindly do as instructed.
3. Don't ask people for warez next time!

The /join #2,000 is an age-old gag, usually played on the annoying and deserving in order to get them the hell out of the channel. It's a moment of embarassment that I feel every user should endure at least once. blush

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
Ah, ok. If clicking on it doesn't join both then I see no problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard