mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
sparr Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
the subject says it all, but I will elaborate. The exit event is called when you close mirc. it is usually used for cleaning up after scripts and such. i would like to be able to halt this event, so that the event happens when someone TRIES to close mirc, but then mirc doesnt actually close (halting the default result, just like in any other event). to anyone who calls this a useless idea, i saw someone today ask how to script something that cant be done without this. they wanted to make mirc minimize to the tray instead of closing when they clicked the X. this would be possible if you could halt the exit event. and, as to actually exiting, you just put in a button or an alias called /exit that disables the exit-halting event THEN exits.

N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
actually i find this quite usefull and very easy to implement. however instead of making it scriptable perhaps in the options since mIRC already has a confirm setting perhaps adding "Place in tray on close" to the confirm dialog options might be usefull.

Have Fun smile
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
This could be useful, but could also be used for malicious purposes. Just imagine, this could make all those mIRC trojans practically unclosable (without killing the process directly).

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Usually you have to kill the process anyway. I don't know any trojans that display mIRC so the user could simply close it...

It's no hardship to open task manager and kill a process.

S
sparr Offline OP
OP Offline
S
for non-malicious scripts the author would put in some button, command, alias, etc that disabled the exit event. in the case of malicious scripts you would just have to turn off remotes before exiting. if /remote was overloaded then theres always the menus. but the longer a gullibility virus is the less people will run it, so i doubt youd see this being used.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
'Malicious intent' for a feature idea is getting old. Can we just stop using it as an excuse?

Additions to mIRC that can be seen as "malicous" most likely already exist and already in place. Cases in point:
- The ability to run mIRC as a 'service' (or atleast hide it). Creates already use dll's for this, so what does it matter if its intergrated or not--they're still going to do it.
- "Don't add /command support". Most likely, a dll created for the same purpose is already in existance, and being used.

Additionly, as saxon mentioned, when is the last time you saw a trojan's mIRC running in your task bar? You don't, thus you wouldn't have the opportunity to properly close it anyways, so what does it matter?

-KingTomato
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Would be nice, but then halting every other event that does something you dont want would be nice also, I had to writre a workaround to when a window is closed, i renamed the closing one made a new one of the original name and copied the data across to it, then let the close complete, (it closes the renamed one not the new one luckly else i would have had to add a timer to rename it afterwards), But anyway, its not eactly what you want, but you could launch another mirc to replace the one exiting, thats not really gonna solve alot of problems i must admit.

Hey to see something wierd try this.

on *:close:*://echo -s - $?="Hmmm $target window is closing or did it already close?" -

then close down mirc

(just something wierd to laugh about)

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
lol, good one.

* cold edits his posts 24/7

Link Copied to Clipboard