mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
C
after using the /write function for a while, it work.
it says unable to open file... :\
if I close mIRC and reopen it, it works :\

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you're using a lot of write's i'd look into learning /fopen and /fwrite (and of cource /fclose) Much faster, and most likely more what you need.

-KingTomato
C
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
C
update:
the bug occures only when using write -il1 <file> <text>

Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
Can you provide code that reproduces the bug?

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
A
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
A

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
The bug is from 6.10.. Just retesting this code on the 6.12:

Code:
alias testzz {
  var %1 1
  while (1) {
    write -l2 test.txt bugtest
    .timertest 1 1 echo -a It Stoped Working After %1 Tries.
    inc %1
  }
}

And i get same error..

* /write: unable to open file (line 4, zzzzzzzzz)
-
It Stoped Working After 32768 Tries.

mIRC Chm Help 6.16.0.3 Full Anchored!
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I got the same responce, its like there is some counter being incremented on how many writes you did to that file.
I note that 32768 is 8000hex , might have something to do with a signed integer being used and it just rolled over from 32767 to -32768. And maybe the negitive number causes the invalid write error to occur.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Same count here.

-KingTomato
B
B
The /write bug has already been reported in two versions and Khaled has not fixed it.

/fwrite would be useful if it had all the right switches, but with certain scripts /fwrite is useless.

I hope Khaled fixes the problem. I have been told by coders that it is just a matter of the command he is using for the process.

To prevent this from happening I shut mIRC every 24 hours and restart. It happens after so many writes, as the link says.

Eric

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Actually i found that its 32768 per file, and also from memory only on -l# (well as far as i tested which wasnt far smile )

Other writes function fine, so i still felt it might be some internal counter, but cant for the life of me think what the counter would be being used for, so maybe you are write its external to mirc, that the counters maintained in maybe the compiler (C is it?) has some internal routine values that ones overflowing, styill i cant think of what it would need it for.

U
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
U
Just bumping this thread up to get it noticed again. I too am having the same problem and have been ever since I upgraded to 6.12 from 6.03. I am using WinXP if that makes a difference. I ran the varies write testing scripts that people posted and get the same numbers (or very close depending on other writes that occur too).

Code:
It Stoped Working After 32767 Tries.  

Here are links to three other threads reporting this same bug. PLEASE fix this!

report 1 report 2 report 3

T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
I find it hard to believe that Khaled has not taken an interest in this particular problem. The bug exists. It should not exist. And only quiet from the developer.

I have 2 scripts that are totally broken by this problem. Thus far, efforts to replace the write process with fwrite results in errors to the test file being written to.

Come on folks.. if you want folks to switch to 6.12 and avoid the exploits present in previous versions, then fix this problem so they can!

This problem is easily duplicated. For scripts that need to do any appreciable amount of writing to files.. FAILURE! At least give us news on whether we should expect a fix.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Please realize that any lack of response posted here on something reported doesnt mean that Khaled isnt interested or isnt looking into the report. He rarely posts that something is "fixed next version" and doesnt announce in advance changes he has made/added/tweaked.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
This is huge. This "bug" makes this program next to unusable and there is no fix and no response in how many weeks. I think the record speaks for itself. I have been a Khaled supporter for a long time. This situation is inexcusable!

T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
Has anyone found a work around to the /write problem?

B
B
There is no workaround. This will prevent you from writing to a file after the 32k times.

I find it hard to believe that the two sticky bugs are about a browser opening and a transparency isue (if I remember right) but this bug should up be there as well.

Thanks for responding Para.

Eric

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You're welcome BlackDrag.

We dont put every bug reported or solutions for them as stickies. That just wouldnt be practical. In the browser one, (after 9,873,492 questions about it) i felt it was the easiest way to refer ppl to various workarounds until the next release resolved it. it was something that effected a lot of ppl who dont use IE and the workarounds were spread out on different threads/areas of the forum. It was also something asked about often in #mIRC, and far simpler to refer them to one thread here with links to others. I've left it as a sticky since there are ppl who prefer using past versions. Sticky doesnt necessarily equate with import, but rather is a way to answer some more commonly asked questions, condense info and give the many links that may be involved.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard