mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#61627 24/11/03 02:58 AM
P
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
P
I have come back from class or awakened from sleep to irc crashes twice. I am an op in a channel of over a thousand and i find it interesting that this only seems to happen when i enforce rules and ban individuals more often than usual in my channel. I have no real clue as to weather it is actually a hack taking advantage of a hole in the program, but i do know the firewalls on campus barely let me out to see the sites, let alone anyone in crazy ... anyway, if anyone can look into it and/or give me some tips on catching a suspicious action when i have as many as 90 pm's a day, it would be good.

#61628 24/11/03 06:48 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Well, firstly, make sure you have mIRC 6.12 (the latest mIRC version) from this web page only. If someone attempts to use the DCC exploit against you, it should return the error "DCC Send from <nickname> rejected (invalid parameters)" - This will appear in your Status window.

You can also view this site for code which will send you a warning message when someone attempts to use the DCC Exploit on you. This only works in conjunction with version 6.12.

Some users are stubborn and refuse to upgrade to 6.12 and remain with 6.03. If you are one of these users, use /ignore -wd * which ignores all (*) DCC requests (d) from all networks (w).

If you have done all of the above already, or if you do this and it still happens, then it isn't a (or rather 'the') exploit. Someone could be packeting you, even if you have a firewall someone could do it, it's just that their IP (or the IP's of the infected machines they're using) would be logged. If you disconnect check if other services work, like web pages that you can usually log in to (this one would be a good one to check, it's never down!).

G'luck.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#61629 24/11/03 12:12 PM
P
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
P
that i have, but this isnt disconnection, this is crashing.. as in "MIRC has encountered a problem and must now close..... this is the windows version of the plunger handle going you know where, have a nice day" wink

#61630 24/11/03 05:26 PM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Do you use a plain mIRC or do you use any script? It is possible that any script crashes mIRC...

Witch firewall you're using anyway?

#61631 24/11/03 08:27 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Strange. If you do have scripts like FunChatter suggested then you should remove them and reinstall mIRC (yes, delete it from your system, then re-download it, and then re-install it) - If it detects an old mIRC version then make sure it does NOT "keep old settings" - A fresh install is what is needed.

If you cannot for some reason part from your script (which is a bit silly really, because if your mIRC keeps crashing the script is useless) then make a backup of the files and then follow the former instructions. Then if it still doesn't work, just move all the files over and come back here!

If it doesn't work though, then it's probably not got much to do with mIRC, but rather an external affect, in which case I have no idea because it could be a zillion things frown

G'luck *fingers crossed*

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard