Print Thread
R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
Hi!

This must be one of my first posts that aren't about Unicode or UTF-8, but it's still about encodings, I'm afraid.

I'm in a channel that uses the ISO-2022-JP encoding, presumably the same encoding that's being called JIS for reasons unknown. (There are, in fact, many encodings with "JIS" somewhere in their name.)

I've tried to get mIRC users to follow this guide: http://bludclotsan.tripod.com/ in order to convert their input to JIS, but to no avail, because whenever they type something in Japanese and press enter, all they (and we) see is question marks. This is really unnerving, because it should, in theory, work, and itr frequently DOES work for a lot of Japanese people.

Could anyone give me a hint on what to tell these users? I'm getting tired of people spamming the channel with question marks every day.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
have them try setting the default regional setting to Japanese for non-Unicode programs (under Control Panel -> Regional Settings)

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
E
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
E
Hello grasshopper. I have a solution to your problem. I assume that u are in Windows XP because that operating system is the one that seems to have this problem.
Go into control panel then into "regional and language settings". Click on the "advanced" tab and up the top select the new language u want to use. I know it sounds cazy, but it works.

R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
Actually I'm in Gentoo Linux, but I'll pass the message along. =P

Link Copied to Clipboard