mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#59405 07/11/03 05:21 PM
K
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
K
I think it would be really nice if a new flag could be added for themes. It would be something like /load -rst filename.mrc. What this would do is would let mIRC know that this file is a theme and should be processed LAST. This is especially useful because if another script is trying to halt default text and the theme is doing the same, they would conflict. It is also a lot easier for people if they don't know why they are seeing the same line twice because they don't realize they have two scripts that are halting default text.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The problems you suggest are due to bad scripting techniques, not mirc. Mirc can't stop stupidity. Also, "themes" as you have it are in the mirc.ini, not dealing with events. The themes you refer to are actually scripting, making the -rs switch perfectly functionable.

-KingTomato
K
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
K
I know the actual theme script can be loaded using -rs, but as you said a lot of people have bad scripting techniques and don't even realize their problem. I just feel that something like thise would prevent a lot of these people from doing these types of things.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
putting the "theme" script at the bottom wouldn't solve this... If there is already a script changing the interface, then one has to be removed. Putting it at the top or the bottom of the heap is just assinine. It all leads into bad scripting, and fixing the problem yourself.

-KingTomato
K
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
K
Yes it does. Most themes scripts that are properly written use the & prefix before all of the events that it uses, so it isn't processed if $halted is true as a result of another script halting the text BEFORE the theme. When you load a new script, that script by default goes to the bottom of the script list and is processed after the theme if they had a theme loaded previous to the new script. For Joe User that likes themes and is looking for a script to use, he wouldn't have any idea what to do in this situation. It has nothing to do with poor scripting skills in this case, as both scripts do what they are supposed to do. Right now, it would be pointless to tell a script (a theme script) to move itself to the bottom every single time a new script loads. It would be a pain in the butt and there is a much simpler solution. If all you do is add a -t flag to the /load command, it would treat the script file as a theme script and it would process all of the theme scripts (if for whatever reason they have more than one) in order, AFTER the regular scripts have been processed. Maybe calling it a "theme script" is a bad choice of words. Basically, it is just a flag to force the script to process last without actually making it last in the script list.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
*sigh*

-KingTomato
M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
*Responding to a point that was subsequently edited out*

Last edited by madewokherd; 07/11/03 08:59 PM.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Edit: forget it, that's me again not reading properly, I should fix myself.

Last edited by cold; 07/11/03 09:59 PM.

* cold edits his posts 24/7

Link Copied to Clipboard