This feature I'm about to suggest, is somewhat of a combination between several suggestion.

Many people (myself included) have suggested some sort of channel dialog that displayed the modes/topic of the channel and that could be docked to the other toolbars.

I would still like to see this (and dockable dialogs), but this is an alternative suggestion.

I personally like to try and keep all channel related details (topic, mode, url, stats, etc) in the one group when I join a channel.

Like this:
[31:10:2003:|:17:04:44] ••• (#nx topic) •• "www.atomicscript.com - new design is up"
[31:10:2003:|:17:04:44] ••• (topic set by) •• neophyte •• (on) •• Thursday (30) October 2003 •• (at) 05:34:54 PM
[31:10:2003:|:17:04:44] ••• (stats) #nx •• (total) 5 •• (opped) 1 •• (voiced) 1 •• (regular) 3
[31:10:2003:|:17:04:46] ••• (modes) +tnl 50
[31:10:2003:|:17:04:49] ••• (url) http://www.atomicscript.com

For the most part, this happens. However, there are occasions when it doesn't.

I do know that mIRC can only deal with events as they are sent/received from the server to the client.

That said, I would like to suggest another "pane" so to speak (like the nicklist) that would, when joining a channel, display the topic, etc in it. This would be an entirely optional window pane. And completely scriptable. So if for instance, one wanted to place stats about the channel in it, one could (such as I have in my example up above).

Whether or not this was added, then at least think of being able to make windows a child of a parent window. For example, make a window a child window of a channel window, and be able to specify where and how it is placed in relation to that window (with both x/y and or left, right, top, bottom, middle, etc). I personally can't think of how to implement the switches, but I'm quite sure it could be done.

I guess it could work like this:

/childwindow [-abBcCefhik[N]r] <@name> [x y [w h]] [font [size]]

These are the same (bar the ones that are missing) style of switches that /window uses.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)