mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
W
Wolfie Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
W
Ok I took a quick look and I couldn't find a reference to this so if there is already a thread for this idea, please forgive me (and tell me what the thread is so I can add to that one).

Basically, if a connection is established using a server-group-name, to have a way to get the name of the that groupname, or some way to specify that group name to what I want it to be. For having multiple connections to the same network, I *was* using $network to have my scripts act independantly, however, some networks that you connect to force certain information in there, so all of a sudden, all connections become the exact same thing and the scripts fail.

Also, to apply this same idea to logging, to have more control over directory structuring.

As it is now:
[ ] Include network
[ ] Make folder
[ ] Date filenames:

Idea for how it could be:
[ ] Include network
[ ] Make folder
[ ] Include group-name
[ ] Make folder
[ ] Date filenames:

-or-
to leave it as it is, but for the individual connections, have the "Include group-name" and "Make folder" options there, so multiple connections to the same network could be made to branch into deeper directory structures instead of the same log files being used.

(I hope my idea/request makes sense on some level).

I do think that with the making on one feature, the other one would just naturally be available.

If this is already in the works (again another thread addressing this issue, let me know so I can read up on it)

A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
I don't understand waht you're talking about, group name???

E
EVH Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
E
$server(irc.myserver.ugh).group

A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Okay, so if I get this right, he wants to log the following ways:

X:\mirc\logs\DALNET\#channel.log

instead of X:\mirc\logs\#channel.dalnet.log

??

Is this right?

E
EVH Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
E
He just wants an identifier that returns the name of
the group the given server is in in his servers list.
Which is not always the same as $network

W
Wolfie Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
W
Basically that. Because on IRC servers that do not give you a fixed value for $network, then it uses whatever you name it. So like if I call a group of servers "IRC1" then IRC1 is the value of $network. However, if it gives the value, say "irchat" then no matter what I call the group, it will be set to "irchat". However, if I use multiple connections to the same IRC server, and I name one "IRC1" and "IRC2", even though they are on the same network, and even if that server provides a value for $network, then I can still know which group was used to connect (as an example, $groupname). So for multi-network capable scripting, I could do something like:
IF $groupname == irc1 { /nick name1 }
IF $groupname == irc2 { /nick name2 }
Could be connected to the exact same server, but along the concept of a $scid / $scon, would have its own group name label for that connection. Perhaps something like $scon(group) smile

And for logging, the be able to have optionally seperate based on group-name instead of network (or in addition to it).

As far as logging overall, perhaps an 'advanced' option, where a person could build together a string of their own (much like in highlight, you can use $me for matching). That would let someone decide if they want to save logs into directories based on year/month/etc, or using their own variables (identifiers).

Example:
Instead of "L:\IRC\logs\SomeIRC\#room.20030123.log" where SomeIRC is $groupname and #room.20030123.log is obviously the room with the date in it, I could instead of the directory to L:\IRC\logs (still the same) but then for further breakdown, I could have "$network\$groupname\$year\$month\$chan.$date.log" so I would have "L:\IRC\logs\SomeIRC\IRC1\2003\01\#room.23.log" for the filename. Just so you have an idea to how complex a person could make it if they wanted to.

smile

E
EVH Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
E
Look at my first post where I recommended using
$server( ).group which already exists and does exactly
what you want $groupname or $servergroup to do.

If you want your own name for it you could use this ...

alias groupname return $server($1-).group
//echo -a $groupname(irc.yourserver.org)

or this

alias servergroup return $server($1-).group
//echo -a $servergroup(irc.yourserver.org)

Last edited by EVH; 31/10/03 02:47 PM.
W
Wolfie Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
W
Problem with that idea is that if you have multiple groups with the same servers in them, then that won't return what connection you are currently using, it will only return the first group that matches.

The idea that I am aiming for is where you could find out the group name that was used to connect (presuming that there was one used).

So if I have 2 connections to irc.chat.com
But one is named "ChatHuman" and the other is "ChatBot" then even though both are to the same server, $groupname (as an example) would tell you which group (either ChatHuman or ChatBot) was used to connect to it. For cases where there is only one connection to any one server at a time, then the $server().group idea works fine, but for multiple connections to the same server but using multiple groups for the same servers, that idea doesn't work.

Link Copied to Clipboard