Page 1 of 2 1 2
#57051 23/10/03 10:51 PM
S
sulai Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
A feature I ever wanted in mirc is a Autocomplete Function for every Word written in the chatwindow.
Currently when you type in the first few letters of a nickname and press tab, it automatically completes. The Same feature for every word that appeared in the Chat Window. E.g. Somebody mentioned the word "autocomplete" I just type "auto[tab]" to get "autocomplete". Would be a great thing ;-)

#57052 24/10/03 05:03 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
wow. assuming i understand what you are saying: well, first thing that comes to mind, is how time comsuming that would be to set up. second thing is how many languages/abbreviations/slang ppl use. Suppose someone types This thing twists and someone else types that twit twinkles and another types Tom, tais toi. you could hit tab a long time to get the word you wanted...easier to just type it i think.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#57053 24/10/03 10:06 AM
S
sulai Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I don't think it's too complicated to set such a thing up. When you press tab, all the words beginning with the typed letters are cycled as you mentioned. The Sequenze the words are cycled should be (in my opinion) the following:

1. all nicknames (allready exists)
2. Words in the chatwindow; most recent ones first, scanning backwards.

In this way you can easily reply somebody who used some complicated or long words. smile

Language/slang is not a problem, because the word you are going to write actually exists in the chatwindow.

#57054 24/10/03 11:07 AM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
How about you learn to type? This would involve massive dictionary files, not to mention people then complaining about different languages.

This is a completely USELESS feature. Learn to type all of your words out.

#57055 24/10/03 11:38 AM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
I believe the request is for autocomplete of words already typed by you (and possibly others in channel)...

#57056 24/10/03 04:07 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
By the time you've cycled through all the possible combinations for common words, surely it would be easier just to type them out?

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#57057 24/10/03 06:12 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I completly disagree. As one user mentioned, if you're too lazy to type words, that's your own problem. Take a typing class or something. The reason autocomplete for names exists (I can only assume) is because pepel have some wacked out names, that son't even make sense at time. Not only that, there is very limited count of names that is stored in mirc to be referenced as an "atuocomplete" item. Could you image a 5000 line chat dialog with every word in memory by mirc as an autocomplete entry.. Can you say ram intensive?

-KingTomato
#57058 24/10/03 06:51 PM
S
sulai Offline OP
OP Offline
S
AKO (&Poppy):
> ...this would involve massive dictionary files...

Like DekuHaze said, I didn't talk about dictionary files. My Idea was to autocomplete Words already written in the current chatwindow. In the word cycle the most recent words in the chatwindow should be shown first. In case you're replying somebody you only have to press tab a few times.

AKO:
> This is a completely USELESS feature.

Are you sure? Imagine somebody posted a long URL and you want to repeat it as a reply. Some Languages, like German have agminated words, so they can get quite long. It's a good thing to write words fast. But its even better to write them faster wink

KingTomato:
>Could you image a 5000 line chat dialog with every word in memory by mirc as an autocomplete entry.. Can you say ram intensive?

Well, there already exists a chat buffer that holds all chat lines that are visible to you. The autocomplete routine scans through this buffer. There is no need to allocate another one. By integrating the autocomplete thing, there is no more ram needed than it is now.

Also the performance is not a problem. It's like searching a word through a text file... i should say *quite* fast smile

#57059 24/10/03 07:15 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
And again...all because you're lazy...

-KingTomato
#57060 24/10/03 07:22 PM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Why would you retype a URL as a reply?

I would say you might as well stop posting onto this thread, it's more than likely not going to make it into mIRC anyway......

#57061 24/10/03 09:46 PM
S
sulai Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well, of course it's because I'm lazy. But anyway, I don't think I'm the only lazy mirc user in the world wink
I don't know whether it's going to make it into mIRC. It's only a suggestion (A very good one in my opinion *g*).

But thanks for discussing, it's fun with you guys laugh

#57062 25/10/03 12:20 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
if it ever does it make it into mIRC it should be OFF by default.

new username: tidy_trax
#57063 25/10/03 12:29 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
I would say you might as well stop posting onto this thread, it's more than likely not going to make it into mIRC anyway......

Perhaps you should show a little more respect? Damn, this is a suggestion. Whether it's "more than likely not going to make it into mIRC", it's here also for Khaled to read. You don't need to (and shouldn't) take the "will this be added?" subject as an argument.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
#57064 25/10/03 01:20 PM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Maybe there should be some suggestion posting guidelines, i.e. explain exactly how this would benefit other users OTHER than yourself?

It seems this guy's only intention is for his own laziness of not wanting to type. How can this possibly be of any benefit to other users? I can't see it. So yes, I come out and say hey look, it's not going to happen.

Auto complete between every word in a buffer? Could you possibly name ANY other piece of software that has this behavior? Any other IRC client? Any other messaging client? Where did this suggestion come from? Nowhere.

#57065 25/10/03 01:33 PM
E
EVH Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
E
He is under no obligation to explain anything.
It is a suggestion, nothing more, nothing less, and the
last time I looked, this was a feature suggestion
forum. Nothing is required here but to make a suggestion
for a feature in future versions of mIRC that may or
may not be helpful and/or entertaining to yourself and
possibly other users. Just show a little respect. This
suggestion isn't really any more wild than playing sound files,
or coloring nicks in the nicklist, or just colors in general for
that matter, or agents, or any other silly feature I can't think
of right now because I haven't had my coffee yet.

Last edited by EVH; 25/10/03 01:48 PM.
#57066 25/10/03 01:44 PM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Colored text - Differentiate between different types of messages, maybe make text that stands out (i.e. an op warns everyone of an exploit, he can use red and bold and caps to speak that warning in the channel).

Colored nicklist - Differentiate visually easier between different types of users. Some people just see color coding much easier than others see text. It is slightly easier on the brain, too, similar to how hyperlinks are underlined and blue. It's much easier to point them out on the screen than if they were default text and underlined.

Playing sound files - Sounds for certain events that go beyond the default beep. Maybe a connection to a server, a certain type of notice, a DCC Get complete, etc. The support of mp3 is simply because at any rate, it is a highly utilized compressed file format and is much smaller than wav in a given scenario, and scripters who release those fully loaded scripts could include them in a smaller package.

Agents - Audio speech of what someone says. This is a useful feature, somewhat like colors in that sense, to highlight different text. Or maybe a notification of sorts. Maybe this could've been done internally to mIRC, but it was probably easier just to implement the already existing agent feature available in Windows.

#57067 25/10/03 01:50 PM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
Auto complete between every word in a buffer? Could you possibly name ANY other piece of software that has this behavior?

Yes. OpenOffice... smile

#57068 25/10/03 01:51 PM
E
EVH Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
E
lol don't explain this stuff to me .. I know what it is and what
it is used for and how it is used. My point was, there was a
time when none of this stuff existed in mIRC, and at the time
they were first added, they probably seemed a little crazy
and unnecessary for a text chat client.

Last edited by EVH; 25/10/03 01:55 PM.
#57069 25/10/03 01:52 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I agree with you in most parts. However, my point is: just because you can't see its general benefit, it doesn't mean it's nice to come and say "hey, I'd say you might stop posting, it's not going to happen". Not a nice attitude, IMO. You've already made your point before. No need for the poster to stop posting, unless (s)he wants to.

Oh well, off-topic alert. frown

* cold edits his posts 24/7
#57070 25/10/03 03:37 PM
K
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
K
Your operating system already provides this function. It is called copy and paste.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard