mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#54826 14/10/03 11:55 PM
E
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
Does'nt everywhere agree that mirc needs a new face life i mean, The layout of it and everything has been the same for some years now looks like something out of windows 95 or what not khaled should start working on a new design and layout cause its getting boring and dull.. and is the reason why alot of other clients are becoming so much more popular now a days. (ie: klient's layout) Implementation of diffrent scripting languages is also a must.. I fear that if it does not change and move forward in layout and design it is bound to become something of the past. If treeview switchbar's can be done in mirc ie: the options dialog why not go ahead and allow for users to create them alot of things like this that have to come into consideration if this client is to last another 5 years dont get me wrong i stil use mirc but I have slowly started to look for other alternatives since 6.x has totally not been anything anyone expected. I pray 7.x (which is not anytime soon 3-5 Years etc.. I HOPE NOT) is a total recode and layout design or I dont see many users sticking with our traditional mIRC...

LIVE TO DIE FOR
#54827 15/10/03 02:13 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Feel free to get another client. I myself like the interface just the way it is (exceptions noted of course)

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#54828 15/10/03 06:27 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Much can be done with scripting, or even the use of additional .dll's.

Personally I find the interface easy to use, which is the most important thing for new users (tho' I still deplore the removal of the "help" button... but so it goes).

Also, what is the point of having lots of clients by different authors which look the same? And which all handle exactly the same programming languages? It's like saying that McDonalds' outlets and Burger King outlets should all be identical, and should all offer exactly the same food on the menu, cooked exactly the same way (hey! wot no flame grilled Whopper???) - it's a question of brand differentiation, even when products are almost (but not quite) identical.

PastMaster

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#54829 15/10/03 06:37 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I'm with Locutus, I like the mIRC default colours and layout, they suit me fine, and I'm sure many others too. I would never consider using a skin - except if he did in fact change the layout.

The looks of buttons and/or windows looks different depending on what OS you have - mIRC on Win XP looks so much better than mIRC on Win 98 (in my opinion anyway, seeing as I used to have '98).

And anyway, I don't use mIRC because it's popular...I use it because I like it more than other clients. This is not to say other clients are not good, I think Klient is very good and the author is very nice etc etc, but it's not for me. Sure, when I first downloaded mIRC it was because it was the only IRC client I had even heard of..but now, thing's have changed.

I'm confident mIRC has more than 5 years left in it, however, I'm sure Khaled is aware that not everything lasts forever.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#54830 15/10/03 08:56 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
The only thing I have changed consistantly within mIRC default appearance for the past couple of years, is the default font used for it's theme, I always change it to Verdana, apart from that I'm perfectly happy with the way mIRC looks.

- Jason
#54831 15/10/03 12:17 PM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
mIRC on Win XP looks so much better than mIRC on Win 98

Any chance someone could put up some comparison screenshots? I've not seen mIRC run on XP... smile

#54832 15/10/03 10:00 PM
E
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
Don't get me wrong.. I have not stated at any moment that mIRC is not good or what not..(I still and will continue to use it for a while) Im just simply implying that the biggest thing to happen to it was the multiserver support besides that it has not changed in years.. and the design layout of it is becoming quite old and it doesnt quite resemble the GREAT program that it is. I was just refering to klient's User Interface nothing more. I believe it is a very nice one and Im not asking khaled to replicate it because i know he can be more creative than that.. I just want mIRC to have the feal and look of exactly what great program it is. By default even for a new user when you install it. It gives the feel of "This is just a nice chat client" Which by all means it is far more than that.

I just wanted users to post there opinions on the fact that it should have a new layout by version 7.x so that khaled can have plenty of time to come up with something good

-regards
wink 5 Year mIRC fanatic....

LIVE TO DIE FOR
#54833 16/10/03 06:36 AM
S
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
S
yeah speaking of getting a new client... i definetly will be. its entirely to coincidental that this version you absolutely have to pay for if youre gonna use it now comes out right after the vulnerabilty was discovered in versions 6.0 and up. great idea to program something like that into a few versions so youre sure nearly everyone has them and then expose a vulnerability such as this one...im sure youll make millions. assh*le

#54834 16/10/03 04:38 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You've always had to pay actually. And mIRC is still not obligating you to do so, as long as you can live with the about window popping up everytime you open it. It's not going to stop working after the 30-day trial.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
#54835 16/10/03 06:20 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
So you're saying that Khaled deliberately coded an exploit into mIRC 6.0x and then when he switched to 6.1x he added a checksum and the unremovable registration dialog, but also left the bug in, then after a bugfix for that version he exposed the exploit so that he could make yet another bugfix and *force* people to upgrade? Even though there are half a dozen scripted workarounds for the exploit for older versions. That's what you're saying?

If he was trying to *force* people to pay using an underhanded method then why didn't he do it in mIRC 6.1 instead of waiting 'til 6.11 and then having to make another bugfix release? Or why not do it at version 6.0 when the multi-server feature was added which a lot of people wanted instead of 6.1x which has had so much *controversy* about the GUI changes? Or why not just make mIRC disable after 30 days?

Being 'a few versions in' means nothing, there are dozens of sites that retain every release version of mIRC and thousands of people who still have old versions on their hard drives.

Your conspiracy theory is flawed beyond belief.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.

Link Copied to Clipboard