Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
iCEhOT Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
I think you guys need to use this script as mirc 6.11 has now completely broken it, you just get lots of messages about hash tables no longer existing, and mkdir not creating any directories etc.... mirc 6.1 worked fine with this script, except for a few $iif's used in the favourites menu of the PnP menu....

The script can be obtained from here: http://www.kristshell.net/pnp/pnp/dl/pnp422.zip - either upgrading mirc, whilst keeping the settings, or using a new install of the script etc, didnt work at all. I read the what's new and it said a few commands have been enhanced, but they look completely broken to me - I even tried a

/mkdir scripts\temp

and it came up with an annoying error, probably coz it exists already... The hash tables not existing is the major problem though I believe. I wont be using this version of mirc :P

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
smile it was built for 6.03, right?
2 versions of mirc later, it dont work,,,hmm

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
I
iCEhOT Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
Even so, those commands arent working... And imo mirc should be fairly backwards compatible, it's not like the jump from version 5 to version 6

I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
As for /mkdir, the command now errors if the dir already exists, so you now need to check
if !$isdir(path/name) { mkdir path/name }

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Sometimes commands change. Scripts that use the old commands stop working. The only way to prevent that would be to never change a command again, which would kinda put a stop to the whole improvement thing. When you run scripts, you know you should not upgrade your mIRC unless you plan to upgrade the script too. Can't blame mIRC for that...

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Why not? If you upgrade to Windows 2005, and all your programs stopped working, wouldn't you complain to MS?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yea, but now your comparing backwards compatibility with intended version capability. If the scripts was made for x.xx, why would you use x.xy?

EDIT: Not even that, why would you expect it to work with x.xy when its designed for x.xx. Why would you take a program that says on the box "made for windows 98" and now say "why doesnt wit work with window 2000?" Well, because it was DESGINED for 98, not 2k. It's simple.

-KingTomato
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying, like for example, the 6.1 "menu fix" really broke just about every script, not just PnP. I'm assuming (since the versions.txt mentions hash table changes) that this could be a similar thing. Of course if you make something that is designed ONLY to work with 6.03 then it should only work with 6.03, but to my knowledge, most scripts are designed to work with 6.03 "and up."

But if it were made for x.xx why would you use x.xy? Because old versions have bugs, new versions have new features, etc.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
"the 6.1 "menu fix" really broke just about every script"

didnt break any of the many i use, including those written a few years ago.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
para i think the menu fix was only there for the evaluation in popups... so if u didnt have a need to use that then it certainly wouldnt have affected u. but codemastr is correct it did break ALOT of scripts, just basing it on your script alone parabrat is alil near sighted. Id have thought with your overall insight u would have also realised this. And no alot doesnt translate to 100% or even 80% probably only 50% of scripts got caught up in that lil issue ... but counting the number of scripts out there would be in itself a huge task ..... take that into consideration and yes Half of all the scripts for mirc being broken by that slight change is alot. Granted i cant say every script but im pretty safe in saying alot and then giving u what alot means to me.

D3m0nnet.com
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
You want a list of how many computer games I bought in the past 4 years that don't work on my XP box anymore? I have a second 98 box I have to keep especially for those ...

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Perhaps i was too subtle, since you missed my point. I certainly wouldnt base anything solely on how it reacts on the scripts i use, and i didnt mean to imply that.. My point was that saying it "broke nearly all scripts" was a gross overstatement. "a lot" or even the 50% you estimate is by no means "nearly all"

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
When I said "every script" I wasn't referring to every mIRC script, I meant every fully packaged ready for download script. And I'd venture to say that the vast majority of those scripts were affected by that bug.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I've had XP since the day it was released. I've had 3 programs that didn't work with XP. Once I set XP to run in Win98 compatibility mode, they worked perfectly. Oh and btw, all you did was prove my point. Are you "happy" about MS doing that? Did you say "well that's just the way it is"? Based on the wording you used you are upset that your games no longer work, which is exactly the point I made.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
i have about 7 cds of games i tossed that would not even run under compatibility mode for xp ... altho i was rather disapointed in tossing them. i chalked it up to having a newer more stable system. which really is kinda not totally true in my opinion. but that just turns into an os debate and well its something id rather steer clear of. Im going to stick with 6.03 anyways till a couple more "BUG" releases come about ..... maybe then ill feel the need to upgrade.

D3m0nnet.com
G
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
G
I'm running this combination now.

I had to bypass the non-errorchecking /mkdir's at startup by commenting them out. After that so far, with my use, I haven't experienced any other issues related to my recent upgrade.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
* Edited

In my opinion, scripts should follow mIRC's changes, be it from 6.03 to 6.1 or even from 6.1 to 6.11. * I'm not including bugs here, of course. These obviously have to be fixed as soon as possible, regardless of easy workarounds.
I don't see this situation like I see changing from win98 to winXP.. I think you shouldn't compare changing mIRC scripts to changing programs of an OS. Although the idea is the same, the proportion is very different.

I don't like when things are changed back on mIRC because they broke scripts. In my opinion, those things should stay. If something new breaks a script, it's still something new, or maybe an improvement (regardless of its importance), which (sadly) requires adjustments. I wouldn't blame mIRC, I'd rather either try to adapt or stay where I am if I can't be bothered (I know you're already doing this).

If I need to change something because a new mIRC says "it's this way now, just change your stuff", fine. I made my stuff myself, I (should) know everything about it, or at least the sufficient to know where should I start changing. I like to script anyway. No real need to ask for anything on mIRC to be changed back.
By the other side, if I was an user who doesn't script, using any script that would be broken, why would I care about a new mIRC release anyway? The script itself is more important. The least I could do is to contact the script's author. Why blame the new mIRC if I don't even need it that much?

Again, I understand you people are just staying with 6.03 already and that's fine, I think. But I see no reason to blame mIRC like it was impossible to move on and adapt. It's only my point of view, though.

Last edited by cold; 12/10/03 10:12 AM.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
Y
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
Y
to fix this properly

mirc/script/first.mrc

replace line 258 : mkdir SCRIPT\TEMP | mkdir CONFIG | mkdir THEMES

with : if !$isdir(SCRIPT\TEMP) { mkdir SCRIPT\TEMP } | if !$isdir(CONFIG) { mkdir CONFIG } | if !$isdir(THEMES) { mkdir THEMES }

PnP truly is the best script i've ever seen for mirc, (esp since i added sysresets fserve browser tools to it <cough hehe >) but the orriginal writer has unfortunately totally stopped development, so it's understandable for people to ask for help when new mirc versions break it.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
imagine with every microsoft update that u ahd to have a new set of programs ........ now compare that to mirc.. seeing as its a full os change. Granted i can see maybe small things having to change ..... but there is no single script out there that is going to cover more than at most 6 or 7 versions of mirc. especially something more complex.

D3m0nnet.com
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yeah, my main opinion is that it's just fine that no single script covers that much.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard