mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#53381 10/10/03 09:59 PM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
...and again you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And instead of asking what might be the case you suggest it must be something pretty serious...

Frankly, I no longer want to tolerate your senseless discussions on these message boards. I'm sick and tired of your sour comments, demands and rants. Go away and find yourself a better place, a better IRC client, a better life - I don't care, but don't bother me with it.

#53382 10/10/03 10:02 PM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
I already have, bye! Too bad there's no way to delete an account, maybe you'd rather just ban my IP so that you never have the possibility of hearing from me again? I mean that's what you abusive moderators do, right?

Bye!

#53383 10/10/03 10:08 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
heh, cheap shot ;p

new username: tidy_trax
#53384 10/10/03 10:49 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well I assume you won't be replying to this what with the melodramatic *exit* and all but still... you're complaining that Khaled didn't fix all the things that we (read: you) wanted fixed, instead he only fixed some bugs and added a few new things. So if so little has been fixed or changed in 6.11 how can you claim that it's worse than 6.1? Even if you still don't like it, the fact that 50-odd bugs have been fixed is surely a step in the right direction? The way that you're so quick with the stupid proclamations of *worst version ever* etc. just goes to show that you're just looking for something to whine about and the constant claims of *moderator brutality* got old after the first post, and got just plain monotonous after the 11th or so. Why keep on about it? It's a freaking messageboard.

GUI grips. *gasp*
Other non-descript additions to 6.1 not removed. The horror!
etc.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#53385 10/10/03 10:52 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Quote:
So if so little has been fixed or changed in 6.11 how can you claim that it's worse than 6.1?

exactly what i was thinking.

new username: tidy_trax
#53386 10/10/03 11:04 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
*rolls eyes*

I upgraded to v6.1 and will be upgrading to 6.11 too when I get back to my Windows PC. I don't see why people can't be happy that the text gets to the other person - isn't that what it's all about in the end? Grips, $ bugs and all that other bunkem, I really, truly couldn't care less about - and I wouldn't blame Khaled or Krejt for not caring about it either heh.

Sure, I can't lie and say I think 6.11 is perfect, because it's not - but what is? (apart from codemastr, of course *wink*). I mean, the whole moving the Options popup to the "Tools" menu, and moving the Perform section...*shrugs* - It just takes time to get used to. 2-3 years down the line, everyone will be so used to doing that they'll not want him to change it back!

I wish codemastr the best of luck in his future IRC life, with his client that will be cared for by the author. I'm sure that will make ALL the difference. :tongue:

Happy chatting!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#53387 10/10/03 11:22 PM
V
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
V
"Because I don't have much free time or else I would."

tell that to your 3000posts

#53388 10/10/03 11:32 PM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
So if so little has been fixed or changed in 6.11 how can you claim that it's worse than 6.1?

Why? It took a month and a half to produce another buggy, lacking version. Yeah, 6.1 took a year, but at least it had some new stuff in it. This took over a month, and still not everything is fixed. Even things that have been "fixed" are just broken differently now. For example the /fwrite -n was "fixed" to report the "correct" value. In 6.1, it always returned 2. In 6.11, it now returns actual_value-2. A simple test should have shown "hmm I'm writing 4 bytes, and it says it wrote 2... perhaps something is wrong here." To me that shows either a.) lack of testing or b.) lack of caring. Then we move on to /hdec. In 6.1, the function of /hdec was changed so that if the variable doesn't exist it initializes to -1 (just like dec) [btw this was something requested by users]. Now in 6.11 it was changed back to initializing to 1 claiming it is a "bug fix." Well then why was it added in the first place? It wasn't added accidentily, it was added because someone asked for it to work like that, and it specifically says that's the new functioning in the 6.1 versions.txt. Again, simple testing would have shown that the problem was actually not fixed. Then in versions.txt I see "17.Fixed Control+KN color bug when N was larger than 15." could be just me, but any number > 15 that I enter still results in black, not the actual color like it did in pre 6.1. Additionally the same oddities that it had in 6.1 are still in 6.11, ex. type /echo 31 test (it prints test in white), type /echo ctrl+k31 test (it prints test in black). Shouldn't color code 31 be the same in both cases? And again, in 6.03 it would have displayed in light gray. Again, simple testing would have shown the problem was actually not fixed. Those are just some examples, I'm sure as time goes on more problems will be found. This goes back to, as Tjerk liked to put it my "ranting" and "demanding" about knowing about the beta testing process. Shouldn't someone have realized "it says A is fixed, yet A is not fixed, either 1.) actually fix it or 2.) don't lie and say it is fixed when it isn't." If I managed to find that all those bugs still exist after playing with 6.11 for less than 30minutes, how come the beta testers couldn't find them in the month and a half since 6.1 was released? It doesn't seem like there is a problem there to you?

Quote:
you're complaining that Khaled didn't fix all the things that we (read: you) wanted fixed, instead he only fixed some bugs and added a few new things.

Bugs that I wanted fixed? Half of them I didn't even report:
-Received files folder toolbar icon doesn't update if you change the received folder via alt+o, drop down menu will still say $mirddir\sounds
-"grayed text" was renamed "gray text" breaking all MTS themes
-ctrl+break and ctrl+scrollock don't work correctly under WinXP
-Pressing f in a window that has no editbox no longer triggers the find dialog
- Received files folder toolbar icon doesn't update if you change the received folder (for sounds) via alt+o, drop down menu will still say $mirddir\sounds
-$decompress can crash mIRC and/or the entire PC
-$dll(file.dll,function,) no longer works

I didn't report any of those. While yes, I do want them fixed (just as I'd want any bugs fixed in any program), I'm sure other people want them fixed as well, or else the people who reported those bugs wouldn't have bothered reporting them, would they?

As for leaving, I am reconsidering leaving the forums. This has nothing to do with me, it's for the simple fact that I've received a few PMs now from people who actually value what I have to say and have asked me not to leave.

#53389 10/10/03 11:38 PM
A
aic Offline
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
A
Dude, if youre worried about the look, ask Khaled for theme support! I want mIRC to look more like bitchx anyway.

#53390 10/10/03 11:40 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Answering your subject, no, it's not, it currently can't be (less than 1 day to judge the entire release?), regardless of what you say. Go hunt a reasonable number of annoying bugs, find them and then mIRC 6.11 could have a chance to be worse than 6.1.

To me, this is more a freaking bugfix release than anything. Right, it didn't fix all the bugs yet. For example, I still can't use 16+ colours, they're still all the same as the earlier 99. Well I guess I'll abandon mIRC because Khaled doesn't care about me anymore? Argh, come on.
"OMG, the lack of options is still there, Khaled doesn't care about us!!!!"? "Oh the gripes!!!!"? "Oh the button!!!!"? After a lot of fixes, which you probably didn't even test yet, you're just filtering what's not there (yet?) that you insanely bring up as major flaws. Reading your rants, it seems to me you're just looking for them.

New features? Yeah, like we should expect anything completely new after such a bugged version that was 6.1 (LOL, a "better" 6.1, btw.. sorry, this is laughable).

Good luck with a new client.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
#53391 10/10/03 11:40 PM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Theme support has been suggested enough times already, I doubt my asking for it as well would make it actually happen.

#53392 10/10/03 11:45 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
i for one would hate to see codemastr leave and not like my opinion matters at all about mirc , seeing as i am a paying customer and all but im going to stick with 6.03 as these newer updates are completely useless. so what it fixed a exploit in userhost..... i dont go to anyones server that it would be an issue mIRC has taken a sorry turn in my opinion and if there was something better for windows at this point i would switch...... all we ask for is that the improvements actually be improvements, not what they have become

D3m0nnet.com
#53393 10/10/03 11:45 PM
A
aic Offline
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
A
My concern for your well-being deepens. I have calculated it, and assuming you do take days off now and then, it's safe to say that you are posting about 10 posts/replies per day. You are a [censored] loser.

#53394 10/10/03 11:50 PM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Thanks, your opinion means a great deal to me. I'm sure you've learned a great deal about me and these forums, enough so to make such a judgement... in the one day that you've been here.

#53395 10/10/03 11:52 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Hrm, regardless of my strong disagreement with what you said, I think I was unnecessarily harsh on my last reply and I don't want to take it to/participate of any useless arguing or anything worse like name calling (which I've just read now) etc. My apologies for that.

#53396 11/10/03 12:01 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Whilst it cannot be denied that codemastr does have the ability to be intelligent, because he has come up with some strong arguments in completely unrelated threads, you, _D3mon_, and codemastr are both, quite simply, whining about nothing.

In fact, this entire thread seems to just be a repeat of the whole "6.1" thing and it's simply tedious. The moderators will simply see this as lame posts going nowhere, especially as that kiddo had to swear in his last post for some reason.

And also, it's not just about you. *I* don't want this, this bugfix doesn't affect *me*, *I* wouldn't be affected by this bug, *I* asked for this to be added, *I* want this, *I* don't want that, *me* *me* *me* *me* *ME!* O.o
There will be however, hundreds of thousands of users who DO upgrade to mIRC v6.11 because the bugfixes *do* help them, and they will actually LIKE the added features. And this has been passed off as a bugfix version far too hastily. Just because it's called v6.11 and not v6.2 doesn't mean it's just some lame version - new features have been added after all.

To be honest, I can understand why the Moderators/Admins may take a dim view of this thread, it does simply look like childish, out-of-control bickering about absolutely pointless things.

Just don't be so selfish, and instead of whining, stay with the version you like the best, or use another IRC client. If there is nothing better for Windows, stop the whinging and get on with it smile - Now THERE'S an idea!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#53397 11/10/03 12:02 AM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
No need to appologize, I wasn't offended by it in anyway, my posts on this thread wheren't exactly "friendly" therefore I wouldn't expect everyone to reply in a friendly manner. But I would like to point out, that already a few new bugs were found in 6.11, and bugs that were said to be fixed still aren't, and old bugs still exist. Also, the only reason I brought up features was because Krejt did. Read his post announcing the release, "Several new features and functions have been implemented" I don't see "several" new functions and features. I see 5 new features. The language selection in MS agents, the password@ in irc:// links, nick-list-hiding, $sorttok 'a' option, /echo -c. Krejt also says that selecting multiple channels from the favorites folder is a "feature" however I consider this a bugfix since pre 6.1 you could do this, then it was removed in 6.1. My point is though, would you consider 5 to be "several"? 64 changes, 5 new features, that doesn't seem like "several" to me. Then on the mirc.com mainpage (which I assume is also done by Krejt) "With this new release we hope to address most the comments, requests and remarks we received after the release of version 6.1" With the exception of 2 of those 5 new features, it seems all the "comments, requests and remarks" that were addressed were bugfixes, although there were a great deal of comments, requests, and remarks that were for feature suggestions that were ignored. My whole point of bringing up the lack of new features was because according to Krejt, there are a bunch of new features, and it certainly doesn't look that way to me.

#53398 11/10/03 12:15 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Quote:
And this has been passed off as a bugfix version far too hastily. Just because it's called v6.11 and not v6.2 doesn't mean it's just some lame version - new features have been added after all.

Well, it is just a bug fix release. That doesn't make it Lame though. I prefer bug fix releases, With additions here and there, rather than waiting for a major version, which takes months and months, and includes all the bug fixes and new features at once.

#53399 11/10/03 12:16 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
And this has been passed off as a bugfix version far too hastily. Just because it's called v6.11 and not v6.2 doesn't mean it's just some lame version - new features have been added after all.

Well, I don't know about the other ones. I say it seems a bugfix release because of the several fixes declared on versions.txt, against few small additions and some behaviour changes. That's all, nothing lame. But while it's not some lame version, it's not that new as well.

#53400 11/10/03 01:47 AM
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Well before this thread gets closed (it probably will), I would like to say something as well.

The Bug Report forum lists down many many bugs, you can't expect Khaled to read them all. He did fix some of the bugs in the Compiled thread though, give Khaled time.

I am sure, you will get used to the new toolbar icons in time. I have gotten used to it.

Grayed text is Gray text because grayed isn't even proper spelling.

But I agree Grayed text should be left behind.

You said that you are too busy to write a client, have you ever thought of Khaled? He has a life too. He probably goes out like anyone does. Working on mIRC is just his hobby, at the same time making money.

And, if you want to leave, no need to tell us.

trenzterra
AustNet #trenzterra and #w
Head Scripter @ http://trenzterra.uni.cc
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard