mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#53293 10/10/03 04:02 PM
I
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
I
what in ur opinion is the best script yet?

#53294 10/10/03 04:13 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
There is no best script. The best script by definition is the one you write yourself, since a] it does exactly what you want and nothing more b] it does the things it does exactly the way you want them to be done c] you know exactly what the script is programmed to do and how to control it.
Asking for a 'best script' is the same as asking for the best video game -- it all depends on personal taste, purpose of using the script, and a kazillion other factors.
Anyone who claims that one script is better than the other can only speak for himself and not speak in general, and if he maintains that one script is superior to all others, he is only talking nonsense.

PS: the above statement is not an 'opinion'. Anyone who states that one script is better than the other is stating an opinion...

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#53295 10/10/03 06:45 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Well said Locutus smile

My idea of best/good/great script isnt the same as anyone else's. Ask 100 ppl, you would get 100 diff answers or suggestions. Dont use any scripts at all until you have thoroughly checked them and are sure they are safe.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#53296 10/10/03 07:31 PM
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
I'm rather fond of eXtreme by kall - it regulary is in the top 10 on mircscripts in downloads also, which has to say something.

Most of it (last time I checked) was aimed at mirc 5.91, which is a downside, but back when I was using it I was knocked off my feet.

#53297 10/10/03 10:05 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Mine wink

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
#53298 10/10/03 11:04 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
'The best script is the one you make yourself' has a nice warm feeling to it, but really it ain't necessarily so. A lot of people don't script, or only script a little, or don't know much about user interface etc. even when it's for themselves. A more experienced scripter will presumably know about all these things and will be able to create a solid bug-free'ish script that has features and design that the average user/non-hardcore scripter simply couldn't create. Sure the user might want to tweak it a little, but for a lot of people the script that's best for them was made by someone else. Of course I haven't actually downloaded any scripts for about 3 years so I couldn't even hazard a guess at a decent one out today, but I'm sure there are plenty around that just might suit this guy better than the one he makes himself. I certainly wouldn't want to discourage someone from attempting to make their own script, but still, I think I have a point.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#53299 10/10/03 11:13 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Indeed, making your own script is easier said than done. However, the reason these hundreds of scripts are uploaded on to various websites, is so that users can choose the one that best fits the criteria they want. Perhaps someone wants channel protection, self protection, an mp3 player and an away system, so they can go and find a script that has that.

I think Locutus meant this aswell, because despite the fact that scripting may be relatively easy for him, I'm sure he's reminded everyday that not everyone else can script *eyes DALnet #HelpDesk signature* :P

Happy chatting,

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#53300 10/10/03 11:19 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
yes you do have a good point starbucks smile sadly tho, i see too many ppl who wont take the time to read the help info with the script they d/l and then pester the author of it to change something just to suit them. Ppl have to take the time to find the script closest to what they want and then tweak it as permitted, and by tweaking they learn more about scripting. I do agree tho that the "Best" script is the one you write yourself. Next best thing to writing it yourself is knowing someone who will write exactly what you want. Lots of good safe scripts out there, (even if there are lots of unsafe ones). Reliable scripting channels usually have a list of "safe" sites to check for scripts.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard