mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#53212 10/10/03 01:07 AM
M
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Okay firstly some people think this isn't where I should be asking this at all well, look at the description of the forum:

"If you need help with connecting to IRC, or anything related to identd, networks, routers, firewalls or proxies, you can post your questions here "

Now I and probably most of the other people who have ever looked at this thread (no of course they didn't stay and talk about which port was the best when they saw there was no answer to their question) are behind a *firewall* and can't connect to irc because of it. To say that this is something that is likely to be used for illicit purposes of that something bad will come of it is ridiculous and you know it. I think that the reason you won't answer is that many of you can't answer this fundamental question about irc. If you were in a building with this firewall you couldn't connect to it.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ok now your wanting ppl to tell u how to evade a system administrative decision t your school not to allow irc? and your saying no one here knows the answer? well even if anyone told u. the firewall access is still logged, meaning even if u get around it. you can be punished by your school by possibly bein expelled. do u really want someone to help u get expelled? Id think ud chalk it up to a learned lesson and leave it at that. Not to mention the ever annoying topic of the excessive AAAA, which i dont see a need for. it makes u look annoying and i for one wouldnt help anyone who is that annoying and whining like a child because they cant chat at school when they should be learning something.

D3m0nnet.com
M
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
There was no "system administrative" decision at our 'school' not to allow irc. I am in a *college* they don't care what we are doing and there is no apparent rule against using irc. Other people are behind a firewall at work and it's simply because some things are blocked to protect the computer from malicious intent, that doesn't mean to say we can't find a workaround for it.
And AAAAAAAAA *IS* neccesary because I have rarely wanted an answer as much as this and not gotten it even though other people knew it. And something i forgot to mention in the other post is that people are being sent to other threads to have their question answered when there is no answer there!

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ask your schools system administrator for the way around thier block..... that is exactly what your tuition pays for.

D3m0nnet.com
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Again, if there is no such rule, ask your admin. Also, What;s this about "colleges dont care what you do" This isn't your own house. Everything that happens on their network, and everything that goes through their internet connection--they take responsibility of. Its not like if someone was using thenetwork to say (for ex) crack into someone else's computer. The school could be sued in addition to the student because they allowed such activities to take place.

Someone more related would be a kid goes on IRC and starts making death threads to people in a channel. The network gets a resport from the user, then they trace the mask back to your school. Again, the school and yourself get in trouble..

So please, do not give me this line of bull sbout "im in college, i can do whatever i want, they dont care what im doing". The truth is, if they didn't care, it wouldn't be blocked. or at the very least, they wouldn't make it difficult for you.

-KingTomato
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
It annoys me to see so many people helping so many more, and then someone has to act lame (yes, you are acting lame, believe it or not) by being rude and acting, quite frankly, like a spoilt brat.

What's more, we're not allowed to help with evading school/college/university/cybercafe etc rules, so don't flame at all the diligent helpers here, because they certainly don't deserve it.

Pause for thought smile

Thought I'd get a post in before this topic's closed :P

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
I couldn't agree more.

I think it's just downright rude that when you try to help or point some (not all, mind smile ) of the posters on this forum in the right direction, they come right back at you with "if you had actually READ my post" or, in the case of this thread, being accused of total ignorance of the subject in question even BEFORE anyone even had the chance of posting a response.

It's totally unnecessary mad

M
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
It sounds pretty dumb that the provider of the connection would be prosecuted. Just to see if you are right though, when I go home I will threaten people etc. It may be annoying but it will be an education for me and the only way there would be no good to come of it is if you are wrong, right? I'm not trolling I'm just taking what is being said into consideration. Also we can go onto any site on the internet on this thing no matter how illegal what's in it is so we could do something that is ACTUALLY illegal unlike on irc (if you have the dcc sockets closed anyway). Oh and there is no such thing as hacking on irc.

M
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
If you have the answer to my problem PLEEEEEEEASE email me my address is twtwtw999@yahoo.com
Then ask me to do anything and I will do it for you.

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Actually, I do believe it IS illegal to perform unauthorised actions on a computer that is not your property. As for the provider of the connection being responsible for your actions, I don't believe that is so...

Quote:
Oh and there is no such thing as hacking on irc

That's just plain wrong...

M
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
DekaHaze, real hackers do not use irc to hack, it's a fact. I saw it in more than one place.

Now people may email me if they want an answer on how to use irc when they have a firewall up that apparently prevents it. I don't think it would be allowed up if I just posted it. Thanks to all the people who forced me away from mirc.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
they CANT use irc to hack, they can use irc to get ip's TO HACK though etc.

new username: tidy_trax
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Well if you wanna talk about REAL hackers then no, not all of them do. A hacker, by original definition, is a programmer. Codemastr, for example, is a hacker and one who hacks IRC wink

Crackers (not the Jacob's kind) on the other hand can, have and will use IRC as a means to gain access to someone elses machine. Albeit through a DCC-send of a trojan, a worm propagated by $decode or just by spying their IP address and using wotever tools they have handy.

Don't talk to me about these Crackers, I have dealt with them before. I am not as ignorant as you may think so I thank you not to underestimate what I know smile

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Yeah but...you're Welsh. *giggles* just kiddin' :P

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
:tongue: