Print Thread
#52076 01/10/03 01:06 AM
T
Tecknoz Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
I am using mirc6.1 & Win98. I have adsl.
When I am on a channel and type the trigger of a bot that use a specific port like 59,60 etc... I cann't connect to that fserve.It keep telling me that I need to change dcc to port 59,but I have done it .Ialso have turned of firewall and router and still the same. I can connect to other persons when they don't have specific ports. Also when connecting, the server can not ident me.
This happens only on my ADSL line.I called tech support and asked to open all ports on my dsl modem but is still the same problem. confused
When I use a dialup, it can ident me and i can connect to anyone without problems

Anyone have a solution for this.

#52077 01/10/03 04:56 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
The ports may be blocked on the ADSL or in your router/firewall. Whether you can web or telnet into your ADSL and do some tweaking, only your provider can tell you.

I imagine the ppl telling you to connect on port 59 are using dcc server. (view/options/dcc/server). You have to enable it and then dcc requests need to be made to the ip, not the nick. In any mIRC window, type: /help dcc server for more info

Re identd, port 113 may be blocked, and/or they are blocking identd requests. It may be necessary to run a standalone identd server if they wont open it. Altho this is a DALnet url, the info is pretty good and may help you: http://kline.dal.net/exploits/ident.htm also click on "windows identd" for links to standalone identd servers if you find you need one.

As a side note, just a reminder to please be careful about accepting files as many contain trojans or illegal content.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#52078 03/10/03 11:21 PM
T
Tecknoz Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
I can not access my modem setup,because they restrict access to it,but I was told that all port were opens. confused

#52079 08/10/03 02:26 PM
E
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
E
The first question is, "Do you have an ADSL modem, or do you have an ADSL modem and router?"
An ordinary ADSL modem doesn't block ports, although your operating system (Windows XP), or your Internet Service Provider can block ports.

Usually the ports an ISP will block are things like FTP, or HTTP server ports. They don't want you using your ADSL for file or web servers.

A router usually blocks ALL ports coming in from the Internet, but doesn't block ports going out to the Internet. When using DCC, the computer that is sending the file has to have a port open coming in to it (I know it seems backwards). Unless you want to send files, or start DCC chat sessions, you shouldn't need to open any ports. Sometimes people asking you to get files from their DCC file server don't have their system configured correctly. Don't assume the problem is caused by your system.

The "identd" port is a separate issue. You probably do need to allow connections to come in to your computer for port 113, to make "identd" work. You can make port 113 available for one computer on your network, or in some cases multiple computers. Most Internet providers don't block port 113.

You are responsible for (and authorized) to maintain the equipment on your premises. If your ISP has locked you out of the settings for your modem or router, there are a few things you can do.

Ask them for the password, since the equiment is on your premises. If you are in the United States, contact the FCC regarding the exact regulations. If your ISP is violating the regulations, file an FCC complaint.

Download the manual for your modem and router from the manufacturer's web site. The manual will tell you the default password to get into the modem or router. Try that first. Most service technicians don't bother setting passwords. First, it takes extra time, and second, unless they set the exact same password for everyone, they would have a record keeping nightmare.

Most modems or routers have a factory reset function, that will reset them to default settings (including the password). Usually you press and hold the reset button for a long time. You should only use that as a last resort, since you have to know how to configure the modem or router after you reset it. You can call your ISP for help with that, but it's better if you understand how to do it. Your ISP tech support may not know how.

Another option is to change to a different ISP that has better technical support, or will give you the password to get into your ADSL modem or router.

Link Copied to Clipboard