mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
tredici Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
Ok, like a lot of people before me had posted, I am having trouble with mIRC at college. I can usually connect on port 7000 to most servers, but it goes slow. Transfers go at 1kb/s, but for some reason every now and then they'll get fast. Is there any way to find out with ports are opened on my dorm's router so I can set my options to use those ports and hopefully go fast?

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Well the slowness isnt always dependant on the port, it usualy depends on how many ppl are online at the given moment. And if you know the IP address of the router you could run a port scan.

In Virginia, chickens cannot lay eggs before 8:00 a.m., and must be done before 4:00 p.m.
T
tredici Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
Eh, the internet in my dorm is so screwy. I just got a fast download, and then a few seconds later I tried to download something else, and it was back to 1kb/s. I guess random dcc ports are fast and others aren't.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
7000 is one of the ports used to connect to a network by way of its servers (totally different from fservs/fileservers). DCC default ports are 1024-5000. DCC is Direct Client to Client connection, you are not getting the files over the network, you are establishing a connection directly to the sender. DCC is only going to go as fast as the slowest end, and that is dependent on each person's connection speed, the connection between the two of you, how much else either of you are doing, any restrictions the sender may have, how many other ppl y'all are sharing bandwidth with at any given time, etc.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard