Print Thread
#48908 12/09/03 12:39 AM
C
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
C
Hi all,

I know this seems a little bit strange, but I think it would become damn handy to react on scripterrors.

I have a Bot runnin on Mirc. I would love it, if I could just record all the errors I get from mirc itself or even react to them (like Line too long error)

Here are some examples where I would use this trigger:

-playing a certain sound on a special error, to be able to react faster.

-having a history of where and when a scripterror occured for easier debug after returning home.

-remotedebugging if the Mirc isn´t running on my PC I can make it sending a msg to my client, or even sending a mail

-Nicer interfaces for other users of my own script. "sorry, an error accured in the script. errormessage (msg) please contact the scriptowner

I think there are much more situations, where this would be usefull.

I hope I wasn´t just blind and this already exists,
CySlider

Visit me @ #fresh-anime on Netgamers
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Quote:
having a history of where and when a scripterror occured for easier debug after returning home.

This is why one logs the status window, or one uses /debug

Quote:
remotedebugging if the Mirc isn´t running on my PC I can make it sending a msg to my client, or even sending a mail

Would be the same as your first suggestion, making this a separate one is impossible, since nicks can change from time to time. Also, I doubt anyone is gonna build a whole email routine into mIRC just for that, you could do that yourself with such an event.

Quote:
Nicer interfaces for other users of my own script. "sorry, an error accured in the script. errormessage (msg) please contact the scriptowner

So we can all turn into microsoft? No thanx, it would be preferable to thoroughly check and test your code before releasing it.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Try this related thread which discusses the same suggestion, and offers a nifty work-around to add error-trapping with Signals, until (if) this is added.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
C
OP Offline
C
Quote:
This is why one logs the status window, or one uses /debug

My Statuswindow contains thousnds of other information and only seldom an error. logging all this and searching for an single error in 20000 or more lines is not my interest.
And the /debug is for servererrors, not for Scripterrors.

Quote:
I doubt anyone is gonna build a whole email routine into mIRC

Sorry, was a misunderstanding. my bot already can send e-mails, I just was suggesting what I would be able to do if this scriptaddon was there. (getting an email if an error accures, when he is not at my PC)

Quote:
So we can all turn into microsoft? No thanx, it would be preferable to thoroughly check and test your code before releasing it.

Thats rude, really. are you assuming you will never make a mistake which does overlive your tests? There are always small bugs which show their face once in 1000 times. I don´t talk about a 10 lines script damnit.

But ok, here is a situation where I really could have used this addon:

I wrote a file Synchronizer for my Parrents so that they can syschronize their companyPC files with their homePC. that workes all fine, but there was a small problem with mirc and Filenames which containns doublespaces. Somehow mirc changed it into a single space, and wasn´t able to copy the file and broke up. Ofc, It was no problem for me to remoteconnect, look into the statuswindow, find the file and remove the doublespace, but everytime my paretns had to wait for me to do so. if I could have catch the error, I could have send a msg to my parrents PC to tell them, which file is cousing trouble, and they could have fixed it themselves.

And please don´t discuss, what I could have done to get around this. This lies far back. I just wanna set a point for this simple trigger.

it should be easy to add it, where the errormassege is send to the statuswindow should an event get triggered, too.

Quote:
Try this related thread which discusses the same suggestion, and offers a nifty work-around to add error-trapping with Signals, until (if) this is added.

Thanks, I´ll have a look at it. sorry for opening a new thread. I thaught I looked trough all suggestions, but found that I was only looking on the last two weeks *G* (damn you guys suggest a lot in here ^_^)

Visit me @ #fresh-anime on Netgamers
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There's nothing wrong with your thread, especially since it's been over 2 months since the last person suggested it.

I can see it being a useful feature too, and a lot of people appear to agree.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
I like this suggestion, but prefer a try {} catch () {} finally java style approach.

https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=...=true#Post36245

Would allow you to watch specific blocks of code for errors, and allow you to handle em so everything keeps on running

Link Copied to Clipboard