mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
L
I was hoping for proper support for the irc:// protocol in 6.1, the only feature I'm really missing in mIRC, but it still doesn't work, at least not properly. Clicking a URL <a href="irc://servername/channelname" target="_blank">irc://servername/channelname</a> or <a href="irc://servername/#channelname" target="_blank">irc://servername/#channelname</a> in an HTML page will start up mIRC (if the protocol is associated with it, though I think it's hijacked by MSChat by default), but it won't even connect to the server. Copying such a link and pasting it in mIRC doesn't work, and the "/server" command doesn't support this format, either. (Additionally, if a copy of mIRC is already open, clicking an irc:// link starts another copy of mIRC, instead of using a new window in the already opened one.)

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
The only feature suggestion I see there is to do with /server, the rest work fine for me so it is either a problem your config or a bug in mIRC.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It works perfectly well here, in v6.1 and in previous versions of mIRC, ever since it was added as a feature.

Z
zac Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Z
When I click on an irc:// link I get a new mIRC opening and the following in a few error dialog boxes:

"Windows cannot find "irc://irc.dal.net/test". Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again. ..."

"Internet Explorer cannot open this helper application for "irc://irc.dal.net/test"..."

Doesn't quite work. :P

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Do you have chatlinks enabled in mIRC Options -> IRC -> Catcher? If you don't then enable it, if you do then disable it, click Ok then go back into mIRC Options, enable it again and click Ok again, then try.

Z
zac Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Z
They were enabled previously. I disabled, hit OK, and reenabled, and it still fails as described above.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I've tested it under windows 95, 98, ME, and XP Pro here, and it works fine under all of them for me. If you figure it out, please give me a holler.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
I get the same error under Windows 98. It used to work just fine, but now it doesn't.

This might be a registry-related issue, though. When it stopped working, I didn't change my mIRC version or anything, it just happened from one day to another, IIRC.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I had the same problem a while back, but someone suggested making sure that 'Enable DDE Server' was checked. Lo and behold, it worked. It can be found in Options->Other->DDE.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
And why there's still no support for irc links in irc?
I mean clicking on <a href="irc://some.server/#channel" target="_blank">irc://some.server/#channel</a> in mIRC itself
Don't tell me it's because inviters, since clicking on channel name already does the job ;b

And all I need now is intellectual intercourse, a soul to dig the hole much deeper
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Ah, thanks. That solved the problem.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You're welcome. smile

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.

Link Copied to Clipboard