Print Thread
#45489 30/08/03 11:08 PM
G
GregMo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
Saw another post where someone had mention mIRC now has to be End-Task'ed when making script errors because Ctrl-Break is now broke. Well, I'm going to go one better than that. On my system the installer froze up and after giving it the 3 finger salute, mIRC froze up upon starting as well.

On another note, I generally use Alt-R to get to the editor, but I do occasionally use Alt-A. Changing that was a BAD idea as is apparent from all the bug reports. I've not gotten mIRC to run reliable yet, but at first it sounds if this warning on double clicking a link is going to be a major PITA too (/me seriously hopes that's configurable).

There are other issues I've read here that I would guess are related to the change in compilers. Khaled, please, please go back to Borland, heheh

Cheers,
GregMo

#45490 30/08/03 11:47 PM
G
GregMo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
Boy oh boy can you ever tell that Khaled is using a M$ compiler. (Yes, I know that might not be the issue here, but this blows). Went back and deleted mIRC and tried installing it again. Well, this time the installer didn't freeze but mIRC still freezes with my default setup. I thought maybe the -r command line switch was broke so I copied the executable directly into my main directory and still no dice. This irked me bad so I opened mirc.ini and changed the remotes to off in all three places, still freezes. Next I removed all scripts, still freezes.

Well, got fed up with it and tried going back to 6.03. Guess what!?!?! Now it won't start neither. This is total BS. I don't know what installing 6.10 did but it certainly did something, likely in the damn registry (nothing but system specific settings should go here, *sigh*), and now I'm hosed big time. Guess I'll kill a few hours now adding my old setup back a piece at a time to a clean mIRC till I find the bug.

Sighs,
GregMo

/me forsees quite a few bug fix versions for 6.10...

#45491 31/08/03 12:09 AM
G
GregMo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
Well, my final note about this, *sigh*... Whatever the issue is/was, it was in the mirc.ini file from my working setup. During testing, like a moron, I moved when I thought I was copying my working copy of mirc.ini. There's something in the mIRC code that freezes hard if something is amiss in the mirc.ini though, I just can't reproduce it now *sigh*

Cheers,
GregMo

#45492 31/08/03 04:57 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
"warning on double clicking a link is going to be a major PITA too (/me seriously hopes that's configurable)."

options/irc/catcher, uncheck the 'Show Warning when opening an url' box

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#45493 31/08/03 06:29 PM
G
GregMo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
Yeah, I figured that out. I should have played with it more before I even said anything about this but I wasn't able to play with it because of it freezing up. I've now got mIRC resetup with all my scripts and so forth and it's not too terribly bad, but still not something I'm happy with. Using Alt-A for favorites when we've used it for many years to get to aliases (Yes, I figured out how to 'fix' this too), disabling an Alt key that we've grown used to and removing the remotes button that I imagine many use many times a day were all just really really bad ideas. It could just be me, but I'm seeing quite a few complaints about the new version here and have yet to seen a praise of it

Cheers,
GregMo

#45494 02/09/03 09:38 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Actually, i have seen a lot of praise for it. Many complaints seem to be based on personal preferences, ie disliking changes that have been made that effect habits that will take time to change (like alt+a, or view>options instead of file>options). Others dislike that changes have been made within options (ie putting a button for perform on the options page rather than it having its own line under connect). One that i confess amazes me is complaints about alt+v going to view where you then can click on font to see the font dialog rather than alt+v taking you directly there (um, its a click, hardly earthshattering).

I realize adjusting to changes/changing habits can be hard, but I do wish that more ppl would give things a chance, take some time to play with them. i guess so many years of using mIRC and watching all the changes as it progresses makes me a bit more flexible. We get used to doing/seeing things one way and "new" can be disconcerting, thats human nature. I can well understand that your frustration with the freezing problem distracted you from checking before posting about the url warning. (*chuckle* btdt, you should have seen me dealing with some earlier versions on win3.11) I'm glad you decided to give it a chance tho smile

(btw, it isnt that ctrl-break is broken, appears to be windows thinks its frozen so mIRC cant tell if its the active app or not, but im sure you've read the threads on that.)

#45495 02/09/03 03:30 PM
G
GregMo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
Yeah, I'll give way to the Crtl-Break thing. I mean, heck, XP breaks so much other stuff. I could go on for days about the things that I despise about XP, heh...

However, breaking the right Alt key I can't find a good reason for. Admittedly, I don't use it nearly as much as I do the left one, but when I do use, and I do so often, it's a royal nusiannce to hear it beep at me and then think, "Oh, that's right... mIRC is BROKE like that." I mean, what other applications use this Alt-Gr key? What software is so prevelant in the UK to warrent a special key for this that we don't see much here in the US? All that aside, there could still be checking for system settings that would determine if a user was in the UK or not, and if not, make the Alt key act like an Alt key.

I'm going to be ill for quite some time with the removal of the Remotes button. I would guess that anyone that uses the editor much to do actual scripting (not popups), uses the remotes section 99 times out of every 100 over the aliases section, and for us to only have one button now and it to take you to aliases is poor fore thought. If one must, at least make it take you to the last view you had opened.

Seems like there might have been one other thing that was still irking me but it must not be too bad as I can't recall it at the moment, heh... The other things, such as the Alt-A change, imho was a stupid thing to do, but something that can be lived with being favorites is something that can be disabled (Kinda disappointed he called it "Favorites", some of us do run mIRC on an OS other than Windows after all :-).

Cheers,
GregMo

#45496 03/09/03 02:27 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
" If one must, at least make it take you to the last view you had opened."

actually, it DOES for me during each session. win98se

click icon. open remote, view,pick one, click ok, close
click icon, opens there

click icon, open alias,view,pick one, click ok to close
click icon, opens there

#45497 08/09/03 09:39 PM
G
GregMo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
Hrmmm.... I suppose I jumped the gun there too ;-/ I rarely use the OK button so this is why I missed it. I'm an old keyboard jockey and to me it's just much faster to use Alt-F, S, Esc.

Even still though, you said between sessions... This means that every time I restart mIRC that I'm going to have to "reset" my preference. I've always thought that it'd be nice if mIRC remember what script you were in from the last session, and now instead of that, it remembers even less of where you were. If you ask me, it's still a step backwards in a wrong direction.

Cheers,
GregMo

Last edited by GregMo; 08/09/03 09:54 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard