Page 1 of 2 1 2
#44904 30/08/03 12:34 AM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
I must ask, why have Khaled changed so you cant rename mIRC.exe ? I running bots scripted in mIRC for 5 channels, and every channel needs there own bot, and i used to have them named as the clans i runned them for.. now if i change the name to klan1.exe then mirc wont start.. kinda anoying confused

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#44905 30/08/03 12:48 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i found that as well.

new username: tidy_trax
#44906 30/08/03 12:54 AM
A
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
A
Maybe cause someone could rename it to some other file that could be used to fool users and once mIRC starts, here come the scripts. Think about it, it was a good idea.

#44907 30/08/03 01:00 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Sure that could happen, but shouldn't you be allowed to name the files on your own system? I mean it's not like you're doing anything wrong be renaming it, just do like I did, stick with 6.03 until 6.11 comes out (which based on reactions 6.1 has received, I assume will be very soon), and hopefully that will revert all these changes that are causing nothing except problems.

#44908 30/08/03 01:03 AM
K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
Quote:
all these changes that are causing nothing except problems.

You really are a fatalist, aren't you?

6.1 is out about 3 hours and you’ve doomed it because it has a ‘star’ icon on a (mostly) closed menu and because you can’t rename the exe.

Thanks for the laugh
grin

#44909 30/08/03 01:05 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
agreed im going to be sticking with 6.03 myself ... i can more than live with any bugs it may have in it. ass for what im doing im having little to no issues. To be honest im more disapointed in seeing these changes made to 6.1. it hasnt addressed any real issues aside from several small bug fixes. Im even wondering if it even resolves the whole I CANT SEE THE OPTIONS DIALOG thing that gets reported. this new version doesnt even fully support xp themes . yet it adds mirc defualt color themes? that seems like a huge waste of time in my opinion to add that when there are several other things that could have been addressed.

D3m0nnet.com
#44910 30/08/03 01:09 AM
Z
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Z
Wow, if you're having this much of a heart attack over v6.1, I don't wanna know what happened to you with mIRC v6.0; that was quickly followed by a bug fix version (v6.01).

You won't like it when I get angry.
#44911 30/08/03 01:14 AM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
I stick to 6.03 too smile bether to use a program that i can change the name on then use somthing that im not even allowed to do that on, but i liked the new look on the dialogs in 6.1 .. no arguing there grin

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#44912 30/08/03 01:17 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
you can just create a shortcut and rename the shortcut :tongue:.

new username: tidy_trax
#44913 30/08/03 01:21 AM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
I hate shortcuts laugh i dont have any on my desktop or anywhere else if i dont need it.. so i wont make new ones for this.. i stay with 6.03 and waiting for 6.1.1 comming out, and i hope i can rename that one grin

#44914 30/08/03 01:23 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
that has little or no relevence to the issue at hand... why create a shortcut to have added to a file to open a program when it should be able to rename it very easily. granted khaled makes mirc ... and it may deture some virus's but anyone of these virus creators can use an older version of mirc and be perfectlly able to do what they want. not allowing a rename seems kinda pointless in my opinion

D3m0nnet.com
#44915 30/08/03 01:38 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
There are gains from having the exe non-renameable, you've already acknowledged that. Now... what possible gains do you get by it being renameable? I can't think of any. The original poster's reason is beyond me.. why on Earth 5 exe's are required to run a script on 5 channels I have no idea.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#44916 30/08/03 01:49 AM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
I have fetures that makes mIRC connect to game servers and more to look for players/scores and more. and every channel having there own server they want to use it on.. and if i make one script for all channels, then the que would be huge, i only allow won serach nick/channel/server , and if the bot was on all channels, then the ppl wanted to use it had to wait a long time, "depending on services running" .. so thats the reason i use 5 mirc .. and have them in folders named as the channels, same with the *.exe file.. its just for me so i easyer can keep track of them.. and i cant see why somone make a program you cant rename the exe file in.. same as microsoft relesed a windows version there you was forced to have the icons they want on your desktop.. in start menu and so on.. if you removed them or changed there names, then windows wouldent work, sounds a bit stupid to me.. i cant see any reason to lock the exe file's name.. virus? ok, but they will be there anyway, and lock the name on a exe file wont stop them from spreed, so again i dont see any point..

#44917 30/08/03 01:56 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
It will stop some future trojans from being made. There are already several that use renamed versions of mIRC to pass on information and spread, if the file cannot be renamed then it makes it very easy for someone to find if they've been infected. They can just search for mirc.exe.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#44918 30/08/03 02:03 AM
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
I find it ingenius that mIRC can't be edited. I mean, edit the file, just change one byte to another character, then change it back, it won't work anymore. So I assume mIRC checks against the creation of the file itself somehow. When it was last modified.

#44919 30/08/03 02:05 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
and what about the countless virus already written in the older mirc? i could see it if these versions were no longer available at all ... but they are .. so this doesnt fix a virus in the future .. just makes it so they wont be using a new mirc for it. as for benefits . your right there are none and for the original poster this is true there is no reason to have to name 5 exes for each different bot. but i personally like to change my own mirc.exe on my pc to the same name as my script ..... to me it just makes everything conform. and renaming the exe is not even addressed in any license agreement. so id have to say it cant be breaking it. maybe its just my taste .. then again everyone has thier own.

D3m0nnet.com
#44920 30/08/03 02:17 AM
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
There are two issues I see from my point of view.

One, I think we should be able to halt the version reply and have our own custom version reply sent out. For one thing, people already know about mIRC. If they don't their out of the loop.

Two, trojan makers are going to find out a way to bypass the rename block and changed file block. It's just going to make it a bit harder for the newbies to trojan making I assume.

#44921 30/08/03 02:19 AM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
and that would stop the viruses? they just find another way to infect the users computers.. if it was so easy to just lock the name on the files.. dont you think the rest of the world have done it by now? so i dont think that solving any problems regarding the viruses out there.. and if i look at the past and where i found most trojans and other small things, then it was files that ppl relesed for mirc.. not mirc it self, like host finder/e-mail spammers/nuke programs and other files.. and i never seen any trojan or virus trying to infect a computer with the name mIRC.exe .. and i dont think i ever will.. but i have seen viruses and trojanans that using mIRC to infet the users computer.. so still dont see why the "name" lock should help.. if my file is named bla.exe or mirc.exe whats the diffrence ? it still doing the same thing.. connecting me to a irc server.. thats the main reason ppl using the program, if "we" are so affraid of viruses and trojans, then why not unplug our computers from the net.. and not get files from CD's or any media.. then "we" are virus free, bether to just warn ppl about the viruses and how they are spreed true the net, not force ppl using a serten name, i know Khaled worked hard for the program, but if i cant rename a file on my computer that are a program installed after windows. then i wont use it.. not even windows make it impossible to rename there files.. the thing that will happen if you are stupid enuff to do it, that is that windows wont work.. "cant find the exe file if you rename it, and didnt edit many other files to tell windows u renamed it".. and i cant see the point in that? you even can rename ICQ.EXE and still get it to work, and i belive many viruses and trojans are infecting you true that program too.. still the author of that program dont like the idea of that it can happen.. and this will only make more ppl hack and edit the mIRC.exe source, cos i havent seen any script out there that had its own mIRC.exe named just mIRC.exe .. they renamed it to "script name.exe" .. so it wont take long befor you can dl a program that let you change the name to what you want.. you have many programs that allow you to change the version reply for an example.. and i dont think Khaled like that ether.. but as long as its a program ppl will go in and mess with the code..

#44922 30/08/03 04:28 AM
V
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
V
Quote:

I must ask, why have Khaled changed so you cant rename mIRC.exe ? I running bots scripted in mIRC for 5 channels, and every channel needs there own bot, and i used to have them named as the clans i runned them for.. now if i change the name to klan1.exe then mirc wont start.. kinda anoying

Try:

mirc1.exe
mirc2.exe
mirc3.exe
. . .

#44923 30/08/03 07:49 AM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
as i said somwhere abow.. i name the exe files after the clan i running them for.. looks stupid with mIRCclanname ..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard