Print Thread
#44132 25/08/03 10:13 PM
M
MUTU Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
One suggestion I have for COM is to enable events for them, sort of like the same way that sockets work. This is because some objects would take a long time to do something you ask them to … and mIRC would freeze in the meantime. I encountered this problem whilst working on Microsoft.XMLHTTP. I made it download stuff from webpages for me – offers several advantages to using sockets (IE cache, https, follows redirects, timeout, cookies etc). However, whilst everything is being downloaded, mIRC will freeze completely – as we both know, some pages take forever to download, making using Microsoft.XMLHTTP unfeasible.

#44133 25/08/03 10:20 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yeah that would be nice, although it would probably require some degree of threading support in mIRC, and right now from what Khaled has said, it doesn't seem the scripting engine can handle that. But I like the idea, I'd also like to see a way to do something similar with a dll; where you can make it do something in the background and not freeze mIRC up. Same example would work, I could use the WinInet code to let me download from an HTTPS server, and not have it freeze mIRC.

#44134 25/08/03 10:43 PM
M
MUTU Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
I think this would be the next step forward. It would reduce the use of clumsy sockets in favour of components. One great reason I forgot to mention about using Microsoft.XMLHTTP is that you would be using the IE proxy settings - some users are restricted (by their ISPs or by their company firewall) to use HTTP only via their proxy.

Oh, and how about HTTP ERROR 302 Page Moved Temporarily? IE would follow that. Sockets wouldn't.

#44135 25/08/03 10:50 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yeah, tons of other nice things could be supported, allow mIRC to send an email without requiring the user to know their ISPs SMTP server address for example.

#44136 29/08/03 11:00 PM
M
MUTU Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
166.Added $comcall(name, alias,...) and $dllcall(filename, alias,...)
identifiers, same format as $com() and $dll(), except these
return immediately and allow the script to continue running. When
the COM/DLL returns, the specified alias is called.

smile)

Link Copied to Clipboard