Print Thread
N
nmeily Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
N
Hello,

I've recently tried mIRC & am liking it quite a bit except for 1 problem I'm currently having. I've searched here & google & not found any other threads on this, hoping my problem's not too unique. I've got it installed on 2 PC's...1 being an Windows XP Pro rig, & the other a Windows 2000 Pro machine. The problem is on the 2k Pro PC. Its random, but my 2k machine reboots often while using mIRC but only during XDCC transfers. I've used several programs to stress-test this PC to rule out any stability issues, & I can't get anything else to make it reboot. This never happens on my XP PC & its very similar in specifications. If anyone could help me solve this problem, I'd greatly appreciate it...mIRC seems like a very nice app. My specs on the problem PC are as follows:

CPU: AMD 1700+
Memory: 512MB DDR
mIRC: v6.03, unregistered as of yet

If any other specs are needed, please do let me know. Thanks muchly in advance,

JackB.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
A few ppl have reported puters crashing during dcc/xdcc. Some report a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.

Are you running any of the so called "speed patches" supposed to boost d/l? (they can also make some registry changes) Linksys and netgear routers or some NIC (seems to me nividia was one of them) have occasionally been found to be the cause. Is possible it could be the MTU values in 2k but i'd leave that to last to consider. Make sure you have the latest firmware/drivers. Try not using port 6667 to connect to a network server. Run a search here, set to All FOrums, expand to all dates and try search terms like BSOD or xdcc or dcc or crash to read the other threads on this.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
N
nmeily Offline OP
OP Offline
N
ParaBrat,
Thanks for your help. No, I'm not running any connection tweaks. I am behing a Linksys router on the 1 w/ the problems while I'm behind a D-Link router on the 1 w/o problems. All my drivers should be reasonably up-to-date. I'm going to try the different port like you suggested & also a more extensive search. Thanks for your help, hopefully I can get this sorted,
JackB.

Edit: Geesh, guess I shoulda taken a better look @ the search page....seems as tho I was only searching for the past week's posts, oopsie smile

Last edited by nmeily; 13/08/03 07:10 PM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You're welcome. And np, you arent the only one who didnt notice they could expand the date range until it was pointed out.

I remember someone with the same prob posting here that they had to get drivers from someone other than linksys for theirs, but i dont recall them saying where or what model, sorry frown

N
nmeily Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Well, I've done the firmware upgrade for my router & all seems well so far...guess only time will tell & I'll be sure to report back if its not fixed, but thx muchly once again for your help,
JackB.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
you're quite welcome. good luck and glad we could help

N
nmeily Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Well, that didn't take care of it afterall smile

I'm not sure what to try next, I've also tried using port 6666 & that doesn't make any diff. I might try throwing a different NIC in here to see if that helps, kinda at a loss atm... wink
JackB.

N
nmeily Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I've tried port 6666, installing the latest drivers for my NIC, & moving my NIC up a PCI slot...nohing's done it yet. I did set my PC to not reboot upon error now so that I could see the error rather than have it reboot, & I saw a "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error.

A link to what MS thinks the problem is can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293077

Though I'm not sure how to solve that...I might just go buy a D-Link NIC to replace this Netgear FA311 & see if that helps, as I run all D-Link NIC's on my other PC's.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
we've had linksys ppl reporting this too, this thread is one

thanks for the MS url

N
nmeily Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I had a Belkin NIC layin here to try, popped it in the other day. Have since done several transfers @ over 500kb/s & no problems...I think it was indeed the FA311 &/or its drivers. Thanks again for the help...I'll report back should any future problems arise

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
you're welcome, glad you got it solved smile

Link Copied to Clipboard