mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#41188 11/08/03 10:12 PM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
This is a weird bug, and I have NO idea how to reproduce it.
In #html on DALnet I typed:
how do I remove the padding that gets placed around a <hr>?

In my status window I saw:
PRIVMSYªVtml Unknown command

Like I said, I have no idea how it happened, I can't reproduce it (and no, no scripts loaded), but I was wondering if anyone else ever experienced this?

#41189 11/08/03 10:43 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I just tried it but I don't get the message however I have seen that happen in the past - not sure what causes it though. I've seen this go back about two years so it's not just confined to this version.

#41190 12/08/03 05:19 AM
G
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
G
I can say with 99% certainity that's not a mIRC issue. Rather, I believe it's something in the bamahut source that it only affected randomly, and only on certain OS setups. I've seen this same think with Unreal, and it has little to do with the command you're using at the moment. I've ran a ton of servers on my net and every so often I will come across one with that issue. I have one now if you care to sit on it for a few hours (/server Spicy.WyldRyde.Net). This machine is a redhat 9 box and I've seen this same thing on a FreeBSD system, so it's not OS specific neither. I've yet to even have a clue where to nail it down at.

Cheers,
GregMo

#41191 12/08/03 09:13 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's not IRCd related as my network doesn't use Bahamuck.

#41192 12/08/03 11:28 PM
G
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
G
So it's a hybrid variant or based off of the unet strain? Being you didn't say what it was, I'd be inclined to hazard a guess that it's an ircd built from bamahut and therefore still has this bad code, whatever it may be.

Given what I've seen, it has to be in the ircd source (in itself or else some library that it's calling on). To me, I can't see it being anything else as I've seen the same issue using varied clients, and when the issue occurs, it's always contained to one server even though I keep all my servers running the same source code.

Cheers,
GregMo

#41193 13/08/03 03:09 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
My network runs CR. As far as I know some of the CR coders once worked on Dreamforge but I don't know if any code got carried from one to the next whether it be CR or Bahamuck.

I have to say that I haven't experienced this bug for a long time though I definitely remember it. And I've never really chatted on Dalnet so I didn't suffer the problem there.

#41194 13/08/03 05:11 AM
G
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
G
Most wouldn't even consider CR a real IRCd since it was developed from the word go for Win32 and then ported to *nix. I know the few times I've had to endure it I wasn't impressed.

Cheers,
GregMo

#41195 13/08/03 01:21 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Can you just not start another CR vs. Rest Of World war?
You can use Search to read old posts on this subject. Thanks.

#41196 13/08/03 01:51 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Inline with Monosex's remark, I'll ignore your silly response as I am not commenting on the quality of one or the other. I am just saying that the problem happens on more than one network and running more than one IRCd.

If you want to debate what is the best then please use my forum or email me and I'll give you a factual verbal thrashing there.

#41197 13/08/03 02:23 PM
G
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
G
I really hadn't intended to trash CR. In reading it now, I see that's exactly what I did, but the point that I had in mind at the time was the fact that CR wouldn't suffer from this exact same issue if what I believe it is, is indeed it. I'm semi-convinced it's a library, or some other common piece of code, that is used on *nix systems where on some machines they have a 'funky' version of this lib, or some such. Being that CR isn't an *nix IRCd, it wouldn't use the lib unless it just happened that the ported version of it did.

Cheers,
GregMo

#41198 13/08/03 02:46 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
From it's website:
Our server software runs on Windows 2000 and XP, Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris.

Just because something runs on Windows, doesn't mean it's not *nix.
90% of other IRCds runs fine on Windows as wIRCds or with the use of Cygwin.

I have no idea what is this lib you're talking about. I tried a trial version on FreeBSD and Linux (Slackware) once, and it worked.

#41199 13/08/03 05:04 PM
G
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
G
If you don't grasp the differences between an app that was written to run on platform X versus one that was ported to it, then there's little left to debate there.

For that matter, if you don't know know what libraries are, we can't really talk *nix IRCds at all.

Cheers,
GregMo

#41200 13/08/03 05:11 PM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
It has nothing to do with a library. Thats a foolish assumption. You might as well just say "it's probably because the server has a broken DIMM installed that is corrupting the memory." Could it be that? Sure, but it is certainly NOT the first assumption you make. The problem is most likely either in the IRCd itself, or mIRC. Since Watchdog says it happens in CR, I've seen it in Bahamut, and now after checking logs I also see I've had it happen under UnrealIRCd, it certainly seems more likely that the problem is in mIRC, not the IRCd. Oh and by the way, neither Bahamut, CR, nor UnrealIRCd share the same message processing code, so it seems unlikely that 3 parsers, written by 3 different people in three different manners all have the exact same problem. Additionally since other people have experienced the same problem it makes it appear that it is not something wrong with my system. If you want to turn this into an IRCd war, well then please don't bother posting. I (and I don't think anyone else here) care what IRCds you like/dislike, all I want to do is find what causes this problem so that it can be corrected.

#41201 31/10/03 09:08 AM
L
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
L
I have also had similar issues. I also sometimes get HTML of web pages I am downloading showing up in the status window of mIRC. It is not just my computer, as a few of my friends have had the same thing happen to them.

Link Copied to Clipboard