mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
cato Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
C
More often than not my log-files contain information from other applications, mainly games like Counter-Strike. It's the games configuration files that appear in the mIRC-logs and sometimes information from ZIP archives. In a few cases the text found in the log-files is totaly unreadable.
This is quite irritating since the files sometimes contains so much crap that the filesize exceeds one gigabyte, making it impossible to open them with any application currently on my computer.
Is this a known problem and does anyone know how to take care of it?

Thanks in advance.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I doubt that mIRC could be responsible for this unless you have a script that copies the game files you mentioned to the mIRC logs folder.

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
This sometimes happens when your computer crashes. Its more likely to happen if you use FAT16/32 filesystems, eg Win95/98/ME.

Solution? Don't use the above operating systems hehe

Win2k and XP can also use FAT16/32 but I believe they default to using NTFS when installed, which is much better. Eg journalling and other major features.

C
cato Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
C
Thanks for the answer though I only use Windows 2000 and Windows XP, both on NTFS. My computer crashes very rarley, I would almost say never, so it seems unlikley that this is the problem.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well it couldn't hurt to run scandisk.

T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
I have the same problem nad i am usind winxp but wiht fat32. Oh, and scandisk (chkdsk) never finds any crosslinked files but the problem still resists.

O
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
O
I have Windows XP Pro SP1, using FAT32 fs. I have experienced the same problem (computer crashed, logfiles are truncated with ever-so-much-junk). I am not sure about this, but I think perhaps this is some strange mIRC behavior, and not a problem with crosslinked files.

The reasons for my outrageos assumptions is that when I examine the junk in the logfiles, I tend to find data that was contained in one or more hashtables. This hash table data seems to get dumped first, then a whole bunch of other junk comes following along.

Due to the hash table data (which might as well just be a me-and-my-compy-problem) I would suggest that mIRC simply dumps data from memory into the log file(s) (streams) on a cold reboot/shutdown.

But i'm probably wrong (:

Bloop

Link Copied to Clipboard