Print Thread
#37607 21/07/03 03:13 AM
P
Prizm Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
Has anyone noticed when there are multiple threads on a topic, the topic will get locked? I'm not saying all of them, but most of them do get locked by one of the moderators. What's wrong with multiple threads?

#37608 21/07/03 03:27 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Whats wrong?

1. Waste of space.
Comments themselves can go into one thred. We shouldn't have to scroll a whole page just to get onto a different topic
2. Pointless
If there is already an active thread on the subject open, why not ammend it? What if i posted another topic on multiple threads in this same forum. What would the point of that be? All i'd be doing is pissing off a lot fo people, and calling (unwanted) attention to the fact that im ignorant and can't post in a topic concernign my same thoughts.
3. Locking
Locking usually only occurs when the topic becomes too off-topic to even know what is going on anymore, or users begin trashing/badmouthing other users or ideas.

-KingTomato
#37609 21/07/03 03:47 AM
P
Prizm Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
I think you're confusing what I'm talking about with cross posting. What I mean is, when a a topic has 2 or more pages of posts/replies, the topic usually becomes locked altogether.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
In reality I think the topic shouldn't be able to be changed (except in the case of a profane one). Once the topic is set all replies should reflect the thrust of what is mentioned by the original poster, that said, alot of people arn't specific enough in topics and usually just type "Help me" or whatever whch is useless. At times in the past I have been guilty of changing the topic mid-thread but only because I can, that said I could live without it.

#37611 21/07/03 11:54 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Threads get locked generally cause they have gone to hell in a handbasket, it has nothing to do with how many replies or threads on a given topic. For example, there is one i can think of that has 80 posts and hasnt been locked. There are tons of threads on the same subject that arent locked.

When a topic is inflammatory and shouldnt be prolonged, or many posts are made that are nothing more than flaming or bickering, (or useless nonsense done in the name of boredom) a lot of the offending posts may be removed and the thread locked to put a stop to it. Before you suggest asking those involved to stop it rather than lock the thread: been there, done that, sold out the video, wore out the tshirt, didnt work.

Other situations i can think of when a topic may get locked:
- if the poster has crossposted, and ppl are trying to keep up with what has been answered on all of them. Thats just wasted time and annoying. PMs asking the poster to stick to one thread and stop driving ppl nuts are usually not productive.
-if the thread has gotten so offtopic its ludicrous and has gone into a bunch of posts on something like why arent bananas blue.

Some stickies are locked simply because they are for informational purposes only.

I realize that when posts are deleted, anyone who hasnt seen them may not understand why the thread was locked (you can thank us later for sparing you) and of course you arent seeing any pms or moderator discussions that are flying about. I guess all i can say is that in those cases, trust that there is a good reason.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard