mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
D
I have been using IRC related programs for as long as I can remember. One of the only IRC programs that really attracted me is IRC. Since it is such a flexible program. The one thing that I think would make mIRC a much better program is if a little program was written to tell you when someone is typing you a msg. if you can add this on a future version I think mIRC will attract a lot of people that use MSN for that reason.
Dj_De4tH (Undernet Network)

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Not possible... and this has been suggested before... If I remember right... Next time before posting, use the search feature...

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
it is posible actually, but both people would have to use the same script.

on *:TEXT:*:?:{
.set %privmsg $nick
}
on *:KEYPRESS:*:{
/.ctcp %privmsg typing
}
ctcp *:typing:*:{
//echo -a $nick is typing a message
}

Last edited by pheonix; 10/07/03 10:37 PM.

new username: tidy_trax
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Exept there ain't on keypress event, or any else that works with channels/msg windows.
And that would flood the server...

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
on *:KEYPRESS:*:{
/.ctcp %privmsg typing
}

It's a nice idea but after 18 characters you would be killed for flooding.

N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
well provided you find a way to determine if a key is pressed (maybe $editbox on a timer?) you wouldnt have to send each keypress only the first. then when the recieving end gets the msg it echos it and waits for a msg from that person resetting a variable. The of course the next time they type the cycle repeats. I usually type quite fast however and can send multiple lines alot (not to mention pasting) so i still think youll get flooded off.

Since it already requires both parties to have the same script why not use sockets and make your own protocol for it?

its a nifty feature but i think its cost may be too great (unless you find a way using sox or something in wich case id use it lol)

Have Fun smile
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If it was me I would just work it from ON INPUT:?: though I am unsure of how to get mIRC to cancel the variable I would set to block more than one CTCP once the return key is pressed. I haven't done much mIRC scripting (aside from making a small bot to hammer the Fizzer virus with) in the last year or so, so I reckon I have forgotten a few things.

Only thing is, I think ON INPUT:?: would only work with a message window open, but not with just typing /msg name blah on a channel or status window.

N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
ya im sure tho that it can be done. I think the sox method is the way to go tho so your not flooded away. Its a shame im too lazy atm lol

Have Fun smile
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I know the feeling lol.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not completly bug free, but here...

typing.mrc

-KingTomato
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
could it be done through DCC in some way? Or it's own port? So when someone types it sends something to that person through the port and then mIRC just does whatever it needs to?

We don't just write the scripts, we put them to the test! (ScriptBusters)
P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P
I don't see why not. I'm almost positive this could be done using mIRC's socket support. In order to write a script to do this, the on KEYDOWN event would need to be triggered in chat windows rather than only custom windows.

One thing about using a script, both users would need the script installed.

* An idea on how my script mechanism would function:

When starting a chat with another user, the script would set a socket to listen on your ip and on port 2112. When the on KEYDOWN event is triggered by you, the script would open a socket to the other user's ip and port 2112. Once the socket is connected, the script will have the socket send the string 'TYPE' to inform the other user's client that you're typing a message.

The other user's script will recieve the 'TYPE' string, and from here, alert the user that you're typing a message. This would repeat each time the on KEYDOWN event is triggered in a chat window.

The point I'm trying to make is, if this can be accomplished using sockets, then I would imagine Khaled could implement this very, very easily using a method like the one I suggested.

H
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
H
your method sounds horrible!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Is that all or do you have a better suggestion?

H
H
no I can't think of anything better. but the method Prizm suggested would cause some problems.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
noone saw my file? I have a working example. Have 2 ppl downlaod that file, and run it. Then talk in the channel, and the other will see "<nick> is typing..." "nick has stopped typing"

-KingTomato
B
Babel fish
Babel fish
B
while the idea is great and ive always liked this since aim/msn implemented it. I dont think its gonna happen for a few reasons

1) mIRC could implemented it usesing sockets yes, but problems can happen like 1 or more persons has a problem with that port either its in use/blocked and thus no connections made

2) Its a lot of work on a query open mIRC would haveta socklisten or for tha matter who socklistens? who sockopens? this could be avoided of course by having each mIRC have one /socklisten for all of this then whoever msgs the person could open the socket to that person but then you run into the problem how do u get ips mIRC would haveta dns the person etc etc etc and if this all works u still run into problem #1 on occasions

although id like to see something like this i just dont think tis gonna happen way to much work for built in sockets getting ips opening sockets port issues etc

the only way i see it happening if it was a standard in ircds like a raw typeing :nickname and as u typed mIRC automaticly sent this raw etc etc but i dont see that happening either

hmmm signed by me
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i saw yours and i thought that was the way you did it :tongue:

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
What about the issue of... not everyone uses mIRC?

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
then they dont get the feature, simple as...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard