mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#34117 04/07/03 05:59 PM
D
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
D
If MIRC is not for filesharing then Why is this on the homepage of this website?

http://www.mirc.com/mirc.html

mIRC offers lots of tools, functions and features.

# A built in DCC File Server.
Give your friends fast and easy access to the files you want to share with them... No hassle, no pain. A fast direct client to client (DCC) connection will be automatically set up by a simple command, and present the interface of a simple FTP server to your friends.

#34118 04/07/03 06:02 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
no1 said filesharing is bad, we said illegal filesharing is bad.
exchanging your copyright/pirated movies/mp3's is illegal.
also mIRC is for chatting so dont expect any help with swapping the new album thats just came out with someone.

new username: tidy_trax
#34119 04/07/03 06:39 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You raise a good point. Personally, I think the fserve feature should be taken out altogether. Sure, it would piss off the people who share legitimate files (although there'd still be plain DCC for that), but it would obliterate warez channels, imho. I realise that mIRC isn't the only IRC client, but it's far and away the most popular, so in theory it really could dramatically cut down on illegal filesharing.

Last edited by Poppy; 04/07/03 06:42 PM.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#34120 04/07/03 07:10 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
We have no objection to FRIENDS occasionally sharing noncopyrighted files. Our objection is to using mIRC to share files that are illegal to share, and we have the right to refuse to help ppl do so.
-against copyright laws
-stealing
-the files and the hot pursuit of them are a huge source of trojans (need i explain why that is NOT a good thing?)
-against the AUP of many networks and providers

From Khaled's FAQ :
Question: How do you feel about the fact that some people use mIRC to distribute copyright/illegal material? or to harm others?
Answer: There is a common misconception that I'm able to prevent people from doing these things. That's not the case. I don't have or host any IRC networks, servers, or channels.
mIRC is only a client-side software that allows you to connect to public IRC networks around the world, in the same way that Internet Explorer allows you to connect to public websites around the world.
I'm not happy about the fact that some people use mIRC in a negative way, however mIRC is used by many people, there will always be a some people who use it in ways with which I don't agree.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#34121 04/07/03 08:27 PM
U
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
U
If it was ripped out you know they'd find a way around it. Also, though DCC is used alot, alot of trading also occurs via FTP, so that would probably just grow.

Even though its illegal, you know they will find a way-heck a news page I was reading this morning was talking about networks like Kazaa, but they use proxies to block tracing. It may reduce the numbers, but anyone with time on their hands will apparrantly find a way still.

U
irc.foreverchat.net Founder
#34122 04/07/03 08:34 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
What's the harm in making it more difficult for these people though?

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#34123 04/07/03 09:16 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:

If it was ripped out you know they'd find a way around it. Also, though DCC is used alot, alot of trading also occurs via FTP, so that would probably just grow.

You are absolutely right! I'm going to go right now and write a letter to my Congressman telling him how we should abolish the prison system seeing as how people are still going to commit crimes even with prison as a deterrent. Why should we waste time and money to maintain a prison system if it has been shown that people still commit crimes even when prisons exist?

Well now back to reality. Just because people will find other ways to commit their crimes doesn't mean nothing should ever be done to stop crime. Will removing fserv stop filesharing? Of course not, but it will slow it. mIRC is known as "the" program to get if you want to get warez. From just people I know personally, more use IRC for filesharing than they do Kazaa or any other p2p application. So it won't cut off warez's head, but maybe it can slice off an arm.

#34124 05/07/03 12:40 AM
U
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
U
I'm not against ripping it out at all. I don't personally need it so I don't have a problem with it. I'm just saying-they will find another way, they always have and always will.

I think getting rid of DCC would be beneficial because alot of irc viruses get transmitted that way also.

But anyone that thinks that getting rid of DCC will stop file sharing, thats not gonna happen. The only thing that will change is the medium of transmission-from DCC to FTP or something else. And if DCC on IRC stops being useful, someone will likely script a workaround, or switch to a different format for it, is what I'm saying. The sheer number of people who DO use DCC on IRC to trade would create a demand for an "alternate" means if mIRC decided to not support it anymore.

Removing DCC will probably take an arm off the warez beast, but it could very well grow 2 back in its place when people have to come up with other methods of transmission to replace it, is all I'm saying.

Perhaps replacing DCC with something thats more easily tracable by persons who enforce against illegal file transmission is the answer? Then only people who wanted to use it for legitimate file trades, or people who simply don't care about being caught, would use it-but anyone concerned about being caught wouldn't?

U
irc.foreverchat.net Founder
#34125 05/07/03 05:45 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
well you raise a valid point but ... if mirc removes them now then it will only make them ppl go and not download newer versions of mirc ....... reducing the amount of bandwidth mirc.com and its mirros would have to endure during all of the downloads ....... hey maybe it is a good idea?

but really my point is that they will not upgrade and just use these older versions that contain the fileservers in it

D3m0nnet.com
#34126 05/07/03 01:21 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Getting rid of DCC entirely from mIRC still isn't going to help much. The protocol still exists and it can be scripted in very easily. The same can be said for the fileserver I guess. However, whereas DCC has widespread legitimate usage, I'd have to say the fileserver doesn't. It's literally saying "mIRC can be used for full-on filesharing and here's something to do it", which is a bad statement for an IRC client to make.

As for making it traceable, whether I'm sharing illegal files or not I don't want anyone (and making it open to law enforcement would mean making it open to anyone) being able to obtain details about my computer or of DCC or any other kinds of connections I make. I wouldn't trust anyone to use that information correctly, law enforcement or otherwise. For instance what right would an American organisation have to trace transfer connections I make when the connection in no way passes through any domain in which they have jurisdiction? None. But would they still do it if the opportunity presented itself? Absolutely.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#34127 05/07/03 07:24 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
General reply:
i dont think getting rid of dcc is going to solve the problem either, and it would really annoy me that those who use it for "legitimate" files would have to pay for what the "non-legit" do.

In addition to the prevalence of trojans in files, those in hot pursuit click on every url that promises something for nothing, thus getting even MORE trojans. And no, i wouldnt like to see the ability to click on an url removed either just because so many ppl have to little common sense even tho we all know what chaos they create.

Some networks and providers have taken steps to try to slow this down. Now the music industry is going even further, and i suspect the movie industry wont be far behind. I do not want to open this thread to a discussion of whether this is right or wrong or the overall ramifications, only to supply this url for general info: http://news.com.com/2009-1025_3-1021283.html?tag=fd_lede2_hed

Just about anything you can think of, be it IRC, filesharing,guns,etc can and will be put to legit/nonlegit purposes. We can try to make the nonlegit harder to accomplish, and refuse to help with those goals. We can explain the dangers and try to inform. But saying "take dcc out of mIRC" is kinda like saying take all blue cars off the road so no one can steal one. We all know that trojans ppl get by other means than mIRC also effect IRC.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard