Print Thread
#3342 24/12/02 03:16 PM
F
FrEEk Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
How much does it cost to get a server on IRC or does it cost anything and if so how do I get about getting one??

#3343 24/12/02 03:25 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The cheap and nasty ways are to either host it yourself (requires a static IP) or use a shell account.

The expensive and, in most cases - not possible, way is to get an ISP to donate an account and bandwidth for your IRC service. You then need to choose an IRCd, some are free, some cost money but the ones you pay for are more likely to serve you well.

To get the second option you'll likely be a very good 'salesman' or be highly qualified and respected universally.

Bear this in mind: Regardless of your hosting option, it is a popular pastime for lamers and script kiddies to attack IRC servers in one way or another, usually by choking the connection with warbots. If you are charged for the bandwidth you use or you have a bandwidth limit or you arn't savvy with security and server defence then don't be in a hurry to run an IRC server.

#3344 24/12/02 03:46 PM
wyx Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
do you want to make it ????
or just ask ???

-= Win 95 Virusses =-
-= Try To Infecting Virus =-
#3345 24/12/02 11:13 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Quote:
some cost money but the ones you pay for are more likely to serve you well.

Huh? I know of only 2 paid IRCds, ConferenceRoom and Exchange Chat (ircx).
You don't really need paid IRCd to run a (probably small) network, none of the big networks use it, and they can hold thousands of users...
Personally, i think free IRCds, used by large networks, are well coded and even better tested. I also put more trust to them, as i know the coders spent more time to secure them and to optimaze the code, rather than to develop so many useless features.
Just my opinion wink

#3346 25/12/02 04:01 AM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
I think what he meant was that if you pay for a software, you have a certain right to having your questions answered or obtaining help when you ask for it.

On the other hand, it may not be as easy to find someone to help you set up your ircd if it is free of charge.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
#3347 25/12/02 04:32 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Well, it's all answered in the docs, usually the 'docs' directory is filled with help files, manuals, examples, etc.
If you don't understand them, i think you're not ready to set up IRCd wink
Also there are many help channels, mailing lists, forums...

#3348 25/12/02 11:17 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Conversely it could be said that if you use a free IRCd instead of a ridiculously priced one, you will have some money to pay someone to help you set it up. In fact you'll have saved enough money to pay someone to admin your server for a year or two, with a little left over to afford the extra bandwidth in the event of attacks.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#3349 26/12/02 11:02 AM
wyx Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
or u can email me
i have used most ircd server on the world
like bahamut, hybrid, confrence room,unreal, until wircd

i'm enjoy if i can help you
uh bad keybporad

-= Win 95 Virusses =-
-= Try To Infecting Virus =-
#3350 26/12/02 02:20 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
with a little left over to afford the extra bandwidth in the event of attacks.

Whereas if you use CR (with a decent box) your server is less likely to falter when attacked.

It just depends on what you are looking for from your server I suppose.

#3351 26/12/02 04:35 PM
F
FrEEk Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
I would like to make one...but, Im broke... confused

#3352 26/12/02 04:42 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
There are a million things relating to an attack which the IRCd has no bearing on whatsoever.

Since I've never admin'ed CR or any non-free IRCd I can't say for certain - but I sincerely doubt that even with the factors the IRCd does control the attack resistance is significantly better than some free IRCds. Certainly not $1000's worth to a non-profit community anyway.

#3353 26/12/02 09:59 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There are a million things relating to an attack which the IRCd has no bearing on whatsoever.

Not quite right but you are close. The hardware, the software, the connection quality and size and the admin's skills all play a role however it is only IRCd's we are discussing so to the maximum effect possible in this thread I am correct.

No-one makes money from IRC, though some organisations use it as a value-adding tool for their broader product range. The notion that freeware coders pay more attention to security is a lod of bull too. You are forgetting something here - the coders of commercial products are using that was a means of putting their daily bread on the table. Are they going to jeopardise their livelyhoods by being slack in that important area? I think not.

In reply to Monosex: CR and MS Exchange are two commercial products but there's others, IRC Plus, Chatspace and Rooms, all of which offer 'enterprise' versions costing alot more than what I am used to.

#3354 26/12/02 11:40 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Code:
The notion that freeware coders pay more attention to security is a lod of bull too.

I neither stated, suggested, or implied that freeware IRCds have better security, I simply questioned your idea that because something is expensive it will be better. Also, the thread isn't about IRCds, it's about servers, connection/hardware/software and so on are all part of the server as a whole, and as such I'd say if you had $5000 or so to spend on a server there are better places it could be spent than the IRCd.

#3355 28/12/02 03:04 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood

This only too well-known disclaimer is appropriately placed. I never mentioned the word expense. Just because something is beyond your reach doesn't make it expensive.

As for this...

Also, the thread isn't about IRCds, it's about servers, connection/hardware/software and so on are all part of the server as a whole,

....you'll realise by reading this bit again...

The hardware, the software, the connection quality and size and the admin's skills all play a role however it is only IRCd's we [you and me] are discussing so to the maximum effect possible in this thread I am correct.

...that I infact addressed this already. In addtion, read my first post from start to finish, I addressed everything the poster asked about in full.

#3356 28/12/02 12:40 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
I never mentioned the word expense. Just because something is beyond your reach doesn't make it expensive.

- The paid servers specifically mentioned in this thread, CR and MS Exchange, are in the $100-$10000 range. Considering you can get the same level of functionality for free, I think any sane person would call that expensive.

Quote:
Also, the thread isn't about IRCds, it's about servers, connection/hardware/software and so on are all part of the server as a whole,

....you'll realise by reading this bit again...

The hardware, the software, the connection quality and size and the admin's skills all play a role however it is only IRCd's we [you and me] are discussing so to the maximum effect possible in this thread I am correct.

...that I infact addressed this already. In addtion, read my first post from start to finish, I addressed everything the poster asked about in full.

- Actually if you read mine again and think about the fact that I posted mine after yours, you might realise that I was replying to your comment and pointing out that the original poster asked about the price and setup options of an IRC Server - not an IRCd, and so any discussion following also pertains to IRC servers.

#3357 28/12/02 02:27 PM
K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
I would like to make one...but, Im broke...

While these guys fight over what's/who's is best... I'll offer a little advice smile
Find a network you like and enjoy the service they provide for you smile It'll be a whole lot easier on your wallet and your brain smile

#3358 28/12/02 02:55 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Considering you can get the same level of functionality for free,

No you don't, that is why you have to pay for some of them. I've looked over CR, Dreamforge, IRC Plus, Chatspace and Unreal in the past. All have their own merits and downfalls, size, cost, ease of installation and setup all playing a part. At the end of the day it depends what someone wants as to what they'd call 'features'.

If I owned a server and had to choose the software, it'd be CR any day of the week. Who cares about the money? I can't take it with me when the man upstairs calls my name.

Sorry, but you've missed my point entirely, I never flamed any other software. I'm just giving my view on what is better. I've seen a Windows/CR powered server get hammered by thousands of warbots (a similar attack to what Dalnet can't shake off) and the server didn't so much as flinch. One's genuine opinion has to be based on their experiences.

I'm not paid by Webmaster's to come here and go into bat for CR. I don't endorse anything. Just giving you the tale of the tape.

If course of you are going to run a server as a hobby for a few friends, some idlers and the odd wares fserv, a shell and a freeware IRCd will probably do the job well. I, in my respect for others, will always assume that they aspire to greater things though.

#3359 30/12/02 05:02 AM
F
FrEEk Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
hehe thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard