mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
T
I think my friend is trying to send me a file and for some reason it won't connect to me. Just please tell me what someone new to mIRC would need to set up his config to be able to download a file. Thank you. (in advance)

The things you own end up owning you.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
many people have said this before, perform a search and you would have found many topic on this, but most people on this forum do not support filesharing

new username: tidy_trax
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You seem to have gone from anti-illegal-filesharing to anti-filesharing. DCC abilities are still a perfectly legitimate and useful part of mIRC, it's ridiculous to bitch about filesharing every time the word 'send' or 'receive' comes up in a post.

TylerDurden: You'll have to give us more information. Are there any error messages being displayed (check the Status Window)?

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i know but most people will obviously swapping music and movies and pictures

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You can't possibly generalise like that. Don't judge people by your own standards.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
ok sorry thats just the message i got with some of the posts i see on here frown

T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Are either your friend or you behind a router or hub? If so, you need to add ports 1024 to 5000 to your port forwarding, or change the DCC ports by going into mIRC's options (ALT+O), DCC, Options.

-------------
I am the self-appointed God of needlessly complex mIRCscript.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
PHOENIX: When someone has a specific problem with dcc, that is a part of mIRC that we should help with. Sometimes due to the wording of a post, its obvious when its about illegal file sharing. In this case the poster said "a friend is trying" and that they are new. Could this be illegal? sure, but they didnt ask a generic where can i find movies etc. Of course some users that we help with a specific dcc prob are going to use it for illegal stuff, but i ask myself: Is this a specific question regarding a mIRC option? if so, then i answer regarding that option.

TYLER: as suggested, look in your status window for any error msg and ask your friend to do the same. Many things can block a dcc, including
- routers/firewalls etc not being set up correctly
-dcc being blocked in file/option/dcc/, in file/options/folders under dcc ignore area, and under file/options/general/lock
-a script putting that puts the user on ignore or blocks dcc
-on DALnet, for certain file types the receiver must /dccallow +sendersnickname
-some routers get cranky when you try to dcc while connected on server port 6667
-the prob could be on the senders end

Without more info it would be hard for us to help you other than telling you general possibilities. I would suggest asking another friend to try to send you a file and see if that works. Obviously do be careful about what files you accept and who you accept them from, as many contain backdoors/trojans/virus.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
sorry for the accusations its just because the amount of people who do ask for help on illegal filesharing frown

Link Copied to Clipboard